Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys v. Cardinals | - 8/17/13

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Are you fucking kidding me? He's the first prosepct that looks halfway decent in a good long while. You think he'll make it through waivers after what Romos done here as an UDFA? Someone will take him on that alone just in case.

This team needs him after watching Orton today. No excuse at all for those picks.
Yes, he will make it through waivers. He's pretty damn average to be honest with you.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout's Notebook: Offensive Line Starters Were Solid

Posted 11 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

In studying the Cardinals from their game the previous week against the Packers, I had a feeling that without much game preparation, there was some potential for problems on both sides of the ball. The Cardinals make it hard for you to run on them, and not surprisingly, that was the case for the Cowboys.

I thought the first-team offense, protection-wise, with David Arkin and Tyron Smith working together, held up well despite this being the first game action for Arkin on the left side. There was only one time where they struggled with a twist stunt, but other than that, it was solid.

From my view in the broadcast booth, I liked what I saw from Travis Frederick and Mackenzy Bernadeau working together as well. Cardinals defensive linemen Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell can give any line a great deal of issues, but I didn't feel like they were a factor.

For a couple of players that needed a good game, I thought Dwayne Harris as a receiver and Gavin Escobar at tight end played very well. Harris and Escobar were in a nice rhythm with Alex Tanney in how they were able to run their routes, and they were also able to finish their plays.

What you have in Escobar is a player that has a real nice understanding of where he needs to be in the route, along with soft, dependable hands. There is no doubt that he will need to develop strength as a blocker and some overall quickness, but he showed you why he was drafted.

It was another well-played game for linebacker DeVonte Holloman and his push to get more playing time in this scheme. Of all the defensive rookies, he looks the most ready to play right now. He showed once again his ball skills with a big red-zone interception, but he also did a nice job as a pressure player when he was asked to come on the blitz. He is one of the most aware, first-year defensive players I have seen in a long time around here.

I honestly believe that George Selvie is a much better fit playing as the right defensive end than he is on the left side. On the right, he plays with much more quickness and he shows how he can get up the field.

It was also nice to see Brandon Magee have a much better day from the Mike linebacker spot. Maybe because it was a hometown game for him having gone to Arizona State, but he did a much better job of avoiding blocks and working toward the ball. It was the type of outing where I noticed him more and there were times in training camp where I was really struggling with that.

I don't believe that Landon Cohen will make this team as a defensive tackle, although I have to say that I am impressed with his ability to get off the ball. He plays with quickness, and when he uses his hands, he can make plays. His effort is outstanding and his relentless nature gets him noticed by my eyes.

I did like what I saw from the Cowboys’ punt-coverage unit. I thought that Chris Jones not only managed his distance, but was also able to control where he placed the ball with his height. My big concern coming into this game was how they were going to deal with Tyrann Mathieu when sending players down the field to cover punts. With Mathieu you have to get plenty of shirts around him and not allow him to get going, and as a group, Dallas was able to accomplish that, which was a real plus.

The turnovers were a huge issue, but the way the defense managed to keep the Cardinals out of the end zone was impressive. How these young defensive players responded, it says a lot about the scheme, but also tells you what kind of pride they have, and going forward, that really is a good thing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Are you fucking kidding me?
:lol

It is amazing how some fans just latch onto the talent on this team like it is fricking gold.

He just, and I mean just, started taking third team snaps from Nick Stephens. Yeah, that guy.

I admit...I used to do it...back in the Campo days.

OHMIGAWD WE CUT JERMAINE COPELAND!

Carp

DCC 4Life
I want to keep Tanney though...I thought he made some excellent throws last night.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...I want to see more of Gibson next week.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
What you have in Escobar is a player that has a real nice understanding of where he needs to be in the route, along with soft, dependable hands. There is no doubt that he will need to develop strength as a blocker and some overall quickness, but he showed you why he was drafted.
Not really. Any number of undrafted guys could have caught a four-yard pass in the flat and muscled their way into the endzone.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I want to keep Tanney though...I thought he made some excellent throws last night.
And that's fine. I am just not convinced he is worth burning a roster spot on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not really. Any number of undrafted guys could have caught a four-yard pass in the flat and muscled their way into the endzone.
I like the quote "he showed you why he was drafted". Like...see? This guy is good enough to be drafted!

In THE SECOND ROUND?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
So much for that idea:
Romo preached the same message. Pretty much minimized the turnovers and talked up the good things.

They are worse the Garrett apologists. They act as if total yards is what wins games.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And that's fine. I am just not convinced he is worth burning a roster spot on.
He'll clear waivers certainly. He looks like any number of other FA rookie qb's.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
No kidding.

I've seen DL and OL come into the game as eligible receivers and make those some catches routinely.

So yeah, yesterday proved nothing with Escobar as far as I'm concerned.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The minute he goes off you'll get Jerry with the exact opposite message on his radio show.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Dez Bryant has a big night, but a lost fumble ruins it for him

Tony Romo to Dez Bryant. Get used to hearing that.

The quarterback and the receiver appear to be ready for the regular season, connecting on seven passes for 129 yards in limited action in two preseason games.

"I thought Dez was dominant out there," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said.

Bryant had four passes for 74 yards Saturday, but he was miffed about losing a fumble after a 27-yard gain. He has nine fumbles in his career, losing four.

"I was trying to do too much," Bryant said. "I was trying to switch arms and stiff arm. I can’t do that. I think it’s something I’ve got to learn from, take it into next week and then work on it. That’s all I can do. I’ll make sure that never happens again."

-- Charean Williams

Cotton

Staff member
This has nothing to do with the game but it made me laugh reading Bayless show his ass.

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom