Archer: Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory makes up for size with 'heavy hands'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory makes up for size with 'heavy hands'

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- Randy Gregory is listed as 255 pounds in the Dallas Cowboys media guide. He said he is probably in the 240s. After 12 training-camp practices, he might be lighter than that.

Gregory’s bulk has been a topic of discussion since his last season with Nebraska. A scout with one team said Gregory was playing at 225 pounds late last season. After the Cowboys picked him in the second round in May, he checked in at 229 pounds.

His mission the entire offseason was to add bulk. There is an In-n-Out Burger not far from the Cowboys complex in Oxnard, California, if he gets the urge for the food he ate almost daily in the spring if the food the team provides is not enough.

But just because Gregory is not the biggest doesn’t mean he can’t play big. Gregory has what scouts and coaches call “heavy hands.”

“It’s just physical; just heavy,” defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “When you strike something, you’re just heavy with it. Explosive. Heavy. He’s very strong in terms of that.”

Said coach Jason Garrett, “It’s a really descriptive term, and we talk about it a lot, really with almost every player on our team. When someone who has heavy hands strikes you, you feel it. Some guys might be strong in the weight room, but they’re not heavy-handed guys.”

Heavy hands can be made but mostly players are born with the attribute.

“I think you can work on it as far as power and getting stronger, but I was definitely blessed with that,” Gregory said. “I think my dad has heavy hands.”

Kenneth Gregory played defensive line and linebacker at Northwestern before joining the Navy. At a young age, Gregory found out just how heavy his father’s hands were.

“I tried him one time,” Gregory said. “I’ll never do it again. I definitely think I was blessed with that. It’s definitely a trait that you want as a defensive end and great rusher.”

Gregory’s athleticism is his most impressive trait. On a one-on-one pass rush move against R.J. Dill on Sunday, he was able to bend so low around the corner, his hands dragged on the grass, which is something DeMarcus Ware perfected in becoming the franchise’s all-time leader in sacks.

But what the heavy hands allows Gregory is the chance to battle much bigger offensive linemen if his speed and quickness doesn’t work. He can redirect them in a bid to get to the ball carrier or quarterback. He can keep them from getting tight into his chest.

“They’ve got what you call, ‘man’s strength,’ not so much weight room,” Marinelli said. “Power. It generates from your legs and your hips.”

It wasn’t until Gregory arrived at Nebraska that he realized the importance of using his hands. In high school and junior college, he was run around a blocker to make a play. Sometimes he would get out of position. Other times it made it easier for the bigger linemen to handle him.

“I know I’m not the biggest guy, but I think that works in my favor sometimes,” Gregory said.

Ware had heavy hands. Left tackle Tyron Smith might have the heaviest hands. Gregory often finds himself matched up with Smith, one of the best tackles in the NFL. He has been more effective against Smith than Greg Hardy at times in camp, but he has been able to do it mostly with his speed off the corner.

But if Smith gets his hands on him, the contest is over.

“If I have strong hands, I don’t know what he has,” Gregory said. “He’s got a great punch. He’s got bigger hands than I do and he’s a bigger body so it’s just another thing I’ve got to work on to try to get away from those hands and use my hands to knock his away.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This season Gregory's a situational pass rusher at best.

2015 is all about Demarcus Lawrence and Ty Crawford taking the next steps and Greg Hardy picking up where he left off in week one 2014.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This season Gregory's a situational pass rusher at best.

2015 is all about Demarcus Lawrence and Ty Crawford taking the next steps and Greg Hardy picking up where he left off in week one 2014.
Gregory is the most physically gifted D-lineman on our roster and one of the few guys that has been able to really give Smith a challenge during practice from what I have read. So the guy needs to see the field as much as possible this year as a pass rusher in my opinion.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Gregory is the most physically gifted D-lineman on our roster and one of the few guys that has been able to really give Smith a challenge during practice from what I have read. So the guy needs to see the field as much as possible this year as a pass rusher in my opinion.
If he can handle it great, but he's a rookie and we shouldn't expect it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What should be expect out of an elite rookie DE?
I like him as much as anyone, but do you really think he's Khalil Mack? Even then Mack who was touted as an outstanding pass rusher had just 4 sacks as a rookie. Learning to play NFL DE while also building your body is very tough. Just ask Demarcus Lawrence.

Demarcus Ware was an all-timer and he just had 8 sacks.

Now if Gregory's in only in pasing situations and his 240 pound frame isn't sucking up all that extra run blocking we give him a better chance to succeed.

Then he comes in at 255 in 2016 better able to contribute and build on that success. Who knows maybe he mimics Lawrence's success in the 2014-2015 playoffs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like him as much as anyone, but do you really think he's Khalil Mack? Even then Mack who was touted as an outstanding pass rusher had just 4 sacks as a rookie. Learning to play NFL DE while also building your body is very tough. Just ask Demarcus Lawrence.

Demarcus Ware was an all-timer and he just had 8 sacks.
To be fair neither of the guys you mentioned were DE's. I'm honestly not really sure what to expect out of Gregory as a rookie but I'm not writing him off because he is a rookie either. Jevon Kearse came in with a similar body and lit it up with 14.5 sacks as a rookie. I'm not predicting that but I was just curious what you thought would be appropriate for an elite level DE prospect.

I also thought you looked down on Gregory because of his weight...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't say "situational pass rusher at best", the guy is going to be a very good situational pass rusher if that is the role he plays. I don't really want him to start because 1. he doesn't have to with Hardy, Lawrence and Mincey around and 2. using him situationally maximizes his ability at this point.

I expect about 5-6 sacks out of him this year, which would be a very successful rookie year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Situational pass rusher is a significant position in this passing league. If your DE rotation is Hardy, Mincey, and Lawrence (in order), then how else can Gregory's PT be other than situational? He's a backup to the backup.

And I don't read anything from him beating Tyron in a single OTA drill without pads. Tyron would humiliate Gregory in a real game. Gregory might break more than just his foot just like Lawrence did.

To be fair neither of the guys you mentioned were DE's. I'm honestly not really sure what to expect out of Gregory as a rookie but I'm not writing him off because he is a rookie either. Jevon Kearse came in with a similar body and lit it up with 14.5 sacks as a rookie. I'm not predicting that but I was just curious what you thought would be appropriate for an elite level DE prospect.

I also thought you looked down on Gregory because of his weight...
Kearse was 265 pounds, perfect for a rush end. Gregory's weight at the draft was 228-- that's 22 pounds lighter than Lawrence and almost 40 pounds less than Kearse!

I think everyone agrees he needs to gain weight, so this is even more of a developmental year for him than a normal rookie would have to deal with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kearse was 265 pounds, perfect for a rush end. Gregory's weight at the draft was 228-- that's 22 pounds lighter than Lawrence and almost 40 pounds less than Kearse!
Supposedly Gregory is up close to 250 lbs now. You're way behind on this shit.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Supposedly Gregory is up close to 250 lbs now. You're way behind on this shit.
You're reading the press release, which every article ends up correcting as closer to 240-- and thus still behind Lawrence's rookie weight by almost ten pounds. If he's 250, then he's gained 22 pounds in a few months. How is this not interfering with his development?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're reading the press release, which every article ends up correcting as closer to 240-- and thus still behind Lawrence's rookie weight by almost ten pounds. If he's 250, then he's gained 22 pounds in a few months. How is this not interfering with his development?
You have to keep in mind he wasn't playing college football at 228 Lbs. He got sick right before the combine. He has stated he played at Nebraska at 235-240. If the guy is already in the 240's, I'd say he will be at 250 in no time at all.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Obviously Gregory naturally brings power with his excellent technique and so makes the most of his stature.

But bottom line he must BOTH learn the NFL position AND gain 35 pounds of muscle in less than a year to reach Kearse's stature.

I'd prefer he remain #4 on the depth chart in 2015 and contribute more next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd prefer he remain #4 on the depth chart in 2015 and contribute more next year.
There are 2 DE positions and I'm guessing he is sitting second on the depth chart at RE. Teams don't usually move their DE's from the Left to Right side and vice versa that much during the season. It can screw with a guys footwork and technique.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Their are 2 DE positions and I'm guessing he is sitting second on the depth chart at RE. Teams don't usually move their DE's from the Left to Right side and vice versa that much during the season. It can screw with a guys footwork and technique.
C'mon, man! It's like you aren't even trying.

Daillest88

Brand New Member
He's going to be a force this year.. Best bet would be to put him as 3rd DE while the offense is tired have him come in and do damage.. Gonna be a good year guys!

Top Bottom