Archer: Cole Beasley proves looks are deceiving

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cole Beasley proves looks are deceiving

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- To look at Cole Beasley is to underestimate him.

At 5-foot-8, he doesn’t look like an NFL player. On a field with behemoths, Beasley looks out of place. Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he looks like a paper boy, despite the current scraggly beard.

Everything about Dez Bryant, Beasley’s fellow wide receiver, screams NFL receiver. Nothing about Beasley screams that.

But then practice starts.

So far in training camp, the Cowboys' defense has not defended Beasley. He caught five passes on Wednesday in team and seven-on-seven drills, including three straight. He caught three on Tuesday, two on Monday. Tony Romo has thrown just one incompletion on a pass to Beasley since the players put on pads.

“People kind of put me below other people, I guess, and that’s what drives me,” Beasley said. “I knew I wasn’t going to get drafted. I knew nobody expected anything from me. But that’s what keeps the chip on my shoulder and keeps me grinding.”

The Cowboys showed how much they valued Beasley with a four-year contract that guaranteed him $7 million and gives him the chance to make $15.1 million total.

“Right from the start of his rookie minicamp, he was someone who showed up to us, and you could tell he just had a good feel and instinct for playing, very quarterback friendly, makes a lot of little plays, makes a lot of big plays -- just has a knack for playing the game,” coach Jason Garrett said. “And he has a real confidence to him. He’s one of those guys that doesn’t shy away from any situations on the field, and he wants to be the guy that the ball comes to in the critical moments. I think he’s always had that, certainly the more he’s played in this system and he understands what we’re trying to do, what the defense is trying to do.”

The success Beasley has had and the contract he earned almost never happened. He left training camp his rookie year in 2012 figuring his days were over. The Cowboys gave him time to think about his decision and welcomed him back after he had a discussion with his parents, but he has never really divulged why he stepped away.

“I don’t really go back to it too much,” Beasley said, “so, really staying moving forward.”

Tony Romo’s faith in Beasley always has been strong, but grew as 2014 unfolded. After catching more than two passes in just two of the first 10 games, he had 21 catches in the final six regular-season games last year, including all four of his touchdown catches.

While he does not possess the impressive physical attributes, Beasley’s quickness is unmatched on the Cowboys’ roster. Cornerbacks get off balance as he comes off the line, rolling back on their heels as he stops and starts and moves side to side.

That makes Beasley dangerous as he lines up mostly in the slot. He sees the game through Romo’s eyes.

“I’ve played quarterback before so I might understand some things that maybe another guy might not,” Beasley said. “But really it goes back to being quarterback friendly and knowing what he’s thinking so I’m in the exact spot that he wants me in order to get the ball.”

Cornerbacks across the league, especially in the NFC East, have learned the hard way not to underestimate Beasley. If some still do, they can watch this reverse dunk in a challenge of a much bigger NFL name, Odell Beckham Jr.

“To me, I’ve always felt like I belonged,” Beasley said. “Obviously the more you play the more comfortable you get, but I’ve never felt like I couldn’t play at the NFL level. I always felt like I do things that other guys may not be able to do. Just using my quickness, there’s not many guys that do that right now.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No reason why this guy can't be Julian Edelman. If you look at their stats Beasley has done at least as much, if not more than Edelman had done through his first 3 seasons. Even with Edelman's big last 2 seasons he has only averaged about 10.5 YPC, it's just a matter of a huge volume of targets/receptions leading to the big numbers.

Beasley may never get that volume of targets, he certainly won't as long as Witten is around, but I see no reason why he can't be as effective a player as Edelman.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No reason why this guy can't be Julian Edelman. If you look at their stats Beasley has done at least as much, if not more than Edelman had done through his first 3 seasons. Even with Edelman's big last 2 seasons he has only averaged about 10.5 YPC, it's just a matter of a huge volume of targets/receptions leading to the big numbers.

Beasley may never get that volume of targets, he certainly won't as long as Witten is around, but I see no reason why he can't be as effective a player as Edelman.
Oh I think he is just as good of a player as Edelman. I don't need stats to tell me that. The Pats offense just emphasizes that slot guy way more because they have zero talent on the outside.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Don't let booze read this article. :art

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I like Beasley. More effective in his role than I initially thought he would be. He gets open quickly and helps move the chains. He still has to prove he can pick up where he left off last season but I don't see any reason why he won't. I do have some injury concern. Partly because he isn't a big guy but also a slot receiver has to take a lick once in awhile. Ne was a nice piece to the offense by the end of last season. Do it again please.

Top Bottom