AP’s NFL Power Rankings: Where do Cowboys come in?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
AP’s NFL Power Rankings: Where do Cowboys come in?

The Associated Press Pro32 NFL Power Rankings, as voted by a 12-member panel, with first-place votes in parentheses, records through Aug. 4, total points based on 32 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 32nd-place vote, and previous ranking:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That seems fair, although I don't know why Green Bay consistently gets first place votes. They have been media darlings for about half a decade now.

data

Forbes #1
That seems fair, although I don't know why Green Bay consistently gets first place votes. They have been media darlings for about half a decade now.
why college football has the playoffs now. Otherwise, Green Bay would be six-time straight defending world champions, whereas on the field, they've made it only once in the 2000s.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
They are clearly the NFL's best team. Best QB, elite OL, elite RBs, best WRs, fine pass rushers (tied for 9th overall in sacks, two excellent pass rushers in Peppers and Matthews), 10th pass defense overall.

Sure they suck against the run, but are moving to address that by going DL/S in the last two 1st rounds. More importantly other teams don't run well against them because the offense outscores them.

What boggles my mind is Indianapolis being #4. Dallas beat this team 42-7. New England beat them 45-7. Just because your competition is weak (Titans, Texans, Jags) doesn't mean you are strong.

Their only weakness is a bizarre reluctance to run the ball or even represent the run in critical situations.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Maybe because they have the best quarterback on the planet?

townsend

Banned
Indy is rated way too high. They made it to the AFC championship because of division that should barely qualify as professional, and on Peyton Manning's like clockwork and old faithful post season choke.

Dallas eviscerated them head to head. They're a 4-12 team without Luck.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They had him last year and they weren't really any better than we were. And I think we've improved more than they have this offseason.
Put Indy in the NFC East and Dallas in the AFC South.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Indy at #4.

:lol

That's about 6-8 spots too high..

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indy at #4.

:lol

That's about 6-8 spots too high..
I love Andrew Luck as much as anyone but his offensive line blows. His defense sucks. He is basically carrying that team with a strong group of receivers and that's it. The only reason they get away with it is because they play in a shit division.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It amazes me that Indy would do next to nothing to improve the defense.

Getting Andre Johnson is nice and they'll be even harder to stop, but this Colts team seems idiotically determined to recreate the Peyton Manning Colts teams, and not in a good way.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It amazes me that Indy would do next to nothing to improve the defense.

Getting Andre Johnson is nice and they'll be even harder to stop, but this Colts team seems idiotically determined to recreate the Peyton Manning Colts teams, and not in a good way.
With the Jags and Titans in your division, why not?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
With the Jags and Titans in your division, why not?
Because it's not the division they need to worry about.

It's the conference powers like the Pats, Broncos, Ravens, and Steelers that they're going to need a more complete team in order to consistently beat.

They beat the Broncos last year because Peyton Manning was playing like crap at that point.

townsend

Banned

It's the conference powers like the Pats, Broncos, Ravens, and Steelers that they're going to need a more complete team in order to consistently beat.

They beat the Broncos last year because Peyton Manning was playing like he always does in the playoffs.
FIFY

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

They beat the Broncos last year because Peyton Manning was playing like crap at that point.
I was being facetious.

People always think the Colts are some powerhouse but it boils down to no real QB in their division since Steve McNair. You can tell the same story about New England, but at least the Pats have the best coach in the history of the game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Brady misses 4 games I think that may be enough, combined with them losing Revis and Browner and the Dolphins gaining Suh, for Miami to catch them. I like that the Broncos are going to try to protect Manning with the running game although with the loss of Clady I'm not sure how successful they'll be, I assume they will be running the old Shannahan/Gibbs blocking scheme though so they may be able to get by with lesser talent.

The Colts are an odd team, it's like they want to be one thing (run-oriented, etc.) but always end up the opposite considering their roster. Their defense has some names but they never seem to produce, I can't really put my faith in them yet but they could have a nearly free-ride to the AFCC if they get a bye due to their shit division and a divisional game at home. If the Steelers youth on defense can step up they are probably the best team in the conference when you consider their OL, Bell, Brown and so forth. That's a big if, and their secondary pretty much sucks, but they do have young talent in the front 7.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I also don't really fear Seattle that much anymore, especially if they are playing on the road. Wilson is prone to long stretches of terrible play and I feel like they are trying to start the transition from run-oriented team to pass-oriented with the trade of Unger for Graham because they know that Lynch will be done soon. Not to mention that he is the heart/soul of the team and is bound to drop off any time now.

Their defense is still sick but a balanced attack can beat them, and even a not so balanced attack like the Pats in the Super Bowl, especially outside of Seattle.

Green Bay is definitely the best team in the NFC but if we stay healthy and committed to the run we aren't far off. The fact that their 2nd best defensive player is 35 should come back to bite them at some point as well.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Brady misses 4 games I think that may be enough, combined with them losing Revis and Browner and the Dolphins gaining Suh, for Miami to catch them.
Suddenly every team in that division (except New England) has brutal, killer, loaded defensive lines. Brady and Tannehill are in for long, painful years, and unfortunately Dallas plays that same division this year.

At least New York and Buffalo have acknowledged their QB's suck and have built their offenses around the run. The Dolphins are trying to build around a QB with no WR's.

Top Bottom