Archer: Cowboys need more from special teams

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys need more from special teams
November, 14, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- There can be few complaints about what the Dallas Cowboys have done offensively in 10 games. The defense has played better than just about anyone could have imagined considering the expectations at the start of the season.

The special teams? Well, there have been issues.

C.J. Spillman had three penalties against the Houston Texans.

The Seattle Seahawks blocked a Chris Jones punt and returned it for a touchdown and turned a fumbled punt by Dwayne Harris into a touchdown.

The Washington Redskins’ first score of the game was set up by a 37-yard punt return. Dan Bailey had a 35-yard field goal attempt blocked by the Arizona Cardinals. He had a 48-yard field goal try deflected last week against the Jacksonville Jaguars. A Kyle Wilber hold led to a Jacksonville safety.

On the good: Dan Bailey became the NFL’s most accurate kicker this season, and the fumble recovery against the Jaguars that led to the Cowboys’ first touchdown.

Coach Jason Garrett does not care that the special teams units are mostly manned by backups and less experienced players. Spillman, Harris, James Hanna (blocked field goal) and Kyle Wilber (safety) are veteran special teamers.

"I think that’s an excuse," Garrett said of youth being an issue on special teams. "I think with every part of your team you have to understand [what] the challenges are and typically younger players, sometimes newer players are playing special teams. But that’s the case all around this league. That’s the case every year. You’d like to have a core group of players who come back year after year and kind of set the tone for everybody, but again it’s the nature of the league. I think anytime you lean on an excuse like that you’re doing yourselves and your team a disservice.

"We’ve done some really good things on special teams, and a lot of that showed up in the game the other day, and then there’s been some areas that haven’t been quite as good, and we’ve got to make sure we correct those things as we go forward."

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Thank you Captain Obvious.

Top Bottom