Werder: Eagles hope to reach short-term extension with Sam Bradford

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Eagles hope to reach short-term extension with Sam Bradford

By Ed Werder

The Philadelphia Eagles have interest in tying starting quarterback Sam Bradford to the franchise beyond the upcoming season and have begun discussing a contract extension, according to sources.

It is not expected the negotiations would result in a long-term contract but more likely an agreement providing the team control of Bradford past the 2015 season, the final year of his current contract.

Eagles coach Chip Kelly has Bradford taking the first-team reps at training camp ahead of Mark Sanchez, his primary competition for the starting position. Bradford is coming off the second ACL injury of his career, but Kelly wants a quarterback around whom he can build his team, and Bradford has made a strong early impression.

Despite the concerns about Bradford's injury history, Kelly recognizes the potential for Bradford -- taken No. 1 overall by the St. Louis Rams in 2010 -- to be a franchise quarterback.

"Peyton Manning switched teams because of an injury,'' Kelly said of Manning, who moved from the Indianapolis Colts to the Denver Broncos after a year off following neck surgery. "Drew Brees switched teams because of an injury. So we went down that path."

The Eagles acquired Bradford in a trade that sent Philadelphia starting quarterback Nick Foles to the Rams. Bradford has one year left on his original NFL contract and is scheduled to make $12.95 million this season.

So, Bradford is comparable to Peyton and Brees now. Riiiiiight.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He has the right skin color for Kelly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, Bradford is comparable to Peyton and Brees now. Riiiiiight.
I guess that those guys being actually good QBs with their original teams has no bearing. Bradford on the other hand has a 79 career QB rating.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I guess that those guys being actually good QBs with their original teams has no bearing. Bradford on the other hand has a 79 career QB rating.
And a glass body. I'm hoping they can get the extension signed.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This is what I hear from that stupid fan base all the time. There's no way they don't make the playoffs if Bradford is healthy. The sky's the limit. Etc.

It's like, did you ever watch him with the rams? I mean, maybe he turns on the lightbulb, but you can't guarantee anything when he's been so mediocre so far.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what I hear from that stupid fan base all the time. There's no way they don't make the playoffs if Bradford is healthy. The sky's the limit. Etc.

It's like, did you ever watch him with the rams? I mean, maybe he turns on the lightbulb, but you can't guarantee anything when he's been so mediocre so far.
Somehow Bradford has gotten a reputation as being a really good QB when healthy. But he really hasn't been. Now I'm sure he will put up good stats in Chips system but so did Mark Sanchez for gods sake.

Top Bottom