ESPN: Cowboys RB Joseph Randle gets deferred adjudication in theft case

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys RB Joseph Randle gets deferred adjudication in theft case

ESPN.com news services

Dallas Cowboys running back Joseph Randle could have a misdemeanor theft charge dismissed if he stays out of trouble with the law for the next six months.

Collin County (Texas) jail records reviewed Friday show Randle pleaded guilty to misdemeanor theft on Tuesday in a plea deal over his Oct. 13 arrest.

A judge in McKinney put Randle on 180 days of deferred adjudication probation. The Dallas Morning News on Thursday reported that his Class C misdemeanor could be set aside if he successfully completes probation. He also paid $706 in court-related costs.

In October, Randle was arrested for shoplifting at a Frisco, Texas, mall for attempting to steal Polo underwear and a tester bottle of Gucci Guilty Black cologne.

"He's just relieved and ready to move on and focus on training camp," his attorney, Steven Bell, told the Dallas Morning News. "He's a good young man."

After the shoplifting arrest, Randle made matters worse with inappropriate comments in the jailhouse toward a female employee as well as disparaging comments about previous arrests of teammates Dez Bryant and Josh Brent.

The Cowboys fined Randle an undisclosed amount, and he apologized.

"It's the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life," Randle said two days after his arrest. "I've never gotten in any kind of trouble in my whole life. This is just something I'll have to learn from and move forward."

Randle was subsequently arrested about four months later for unlawful possession of marijuana following a Feb. 3 domestic disturbance in Kansas, but in April prosecutors said that he would not face any charges stemming from the incident because of a lack of evidence.

He carried the ball 51 times for 343 yards and had three touchdowns in 2014. He could be in position to get more carries and more playing time in 2015 after DeMarco Murray signed with the Philadelphia Eagles in free agency.

The Cowboys picked Randle in the fifth round of the 2013 draft.

Top Bottom