Week 9 Gameday Chatter | Cowboys vs. Browns | 11/06/2016

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think [MENTION=3]boozeman[/MENTION] was spot on when he said yesterday that Dez is great when everything is going well for him, but he just doesn't have the focus or mental toughness to keep fighting when things aren't going his way.

Despite the early calls, he could've dominated that game yesterday. Those interference plays were a clear indication that he was having his way with their DBs, so if he had just stay focused and channeled his anger in a better way, he would have had a more productive day.

Instead, he pouted and got upset and basically took himself out of the game.
As has been well documented on this board, there is no bigger Dez supporter than me, but I am starting to get a bit tired of his shit. I know this will come as a huge shock to most, but I am close to giving up on him and hoping we trade him and go after a #1 WR in the coming draft. I don't think I am quite there yet, but I'm closer than I ever thought I would be. It sucks.

dallen

Senior Tech
Dez is just not an elite wide receiver.

He has elite physical and athletic ability which allows him to make plays at the position, but he isn't a great route runner, isn't great at getting separation, and he doesn't go on runs where he dominates week after week like we've seen from Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, and even that little fairy out in New York.

He's never had the type of month that T.O. had for us back in 2007 where he basically destroyed the entire NFC East in the month of November.

That's what I would like to see from Dez, but that's just not who he is.
Dez wants to win, but I don't think he has the same fear of failure that guys like Brady and Jordan have. To be fair, few do, but it is what separates the very good from the great. I think Romo has the same issue. A guy like Romo would have never made it in the NFL if he didn't have some fear of failure at the start of his career, but he still wants to take time to run fantasy football conventions and take Cabo vacations. Dez came in from a totally different situation, but he followed the same path. He had a lot of questions over his head about his maturity level and his ability to focus on football. I think earlier he was driven to overcome that, but at a certain point once that began getting recognized he started backsliding because that isnt who he really is. They get to a certain level and 'eat the cheese' like Parcells used to say, and I think a lot of it comes from the owner who really cares more about making money and attention than he does about winning championships.

dallen

Senior Tech
Also, it was great watching Dak spread the ball around again yesterday.

I agree with many of the others who thought he forced it to Dez a bit last week, so it was great seeing him get the ball to the open man yesterday.

And I loved seeing Witten have himself a big day. What an unselfish guy and all-timer he is. He may not be a dominant TE anymore, but he's still easily one of the best 5 TE's in the league but his role has changed this year and he hasn't complained one bit.

I can't lie -- if we were to go all the way this year and win the SB, I'd probably cry seeing that bastid holding the Lombardi on the podium. :sad

Get that man a ring!
Win It for Witten!

shane

DCC 4Life
I think Dez's whole attitude was what put the team on the right track. Usually when he gets pissed off and starts jawing, he makes more plays. My only concern about him is that his physical play makes him an injury concern.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no problem with Dez. When your arm is being held down its hard to catch the ball. Maybe Dez needs to get better at not allowing defenders access to the arm. Honestly there is no reason to make Dez the focal point of the offense anymore though. I love how Dak sort of lets things flow naturally instead of making one guy the go to guy all season long.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, and BTW, through 8 games, we still haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher or receiver.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Oh, and BTW, through 8 games, we still haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher or receiver.
Well, we're going up against arguably the league's best receiver and best RB next week, so we're about to find out exactly how good this defense really is.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Well, we're going up against arguably the league's best receiver and best RB next week, so we're about to find out exactly how good this defense really is.
With two of our starters in the secondary out. It should be interesting.

Cotton

Staff member
So if you go to the Cowboys page on ESPN there is a video titled The Legend of Dak Prescott. I don't know how to put it on here. But if anyone wants to see a video that sort of tells you what an amazing person and leader Dak is, just check it out. A really touching video.
Here is the video. Like I said it takes paid for software to snag videos off of ESPN, so I can only link it.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/17987316

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, I figured that much but it's an excellent watch. Worth clicking on the link for those who haven't seen it.
As the dad of a special needs child, what he did for that trainer in high school had me in tears. I know it's like not masculine and stuff to admit that, but I don't really give a shit.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dez is just not an elite wide receiver.

He has elite physical and athletic ability which allows him to make plays at the position, but he isn't a great route runner, isn't great at getting separation, and he doesn't go on runs where he dominates week after week like we've seen from Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, and even that little fairy out in New York.

He's never had the type of month that T.O. had for us back in 2007 where he basically destroyed the entire NFC East in the month of November.

That's what I would like to see from Dez, but that's just not who he is.
Our offense does not accentuate Dez as those offenses do for those guys and oh yea none of them run the ball as well as we do.

You cannot tell me if he was the feature guy in those offenses he would not be putting up similar numbers.

But its his fault he got plenty of seperation against the eagles and still could not get the ball right?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dez loafing on that route yesterday is the biggest thing bothering me about him right now. I mean, TO would scream and yell for the ball (to the point it was a distraction) but he never ever took plays off. He would bust his ass every single play to try to get open. Dez loafing tells me he just might not be as committed as his antics on the sidelines let on.
Did you have an issue when Bease loafed on a route as well?

Jiggyfly

Banned
I would, but I have never seen him loaf on a route.
They showed him loafing on a route yesterday but unlike Dez it was not put under the spotlight.

The announcer was looking for anything to be negative about with Dez it was especially evident when they missed him getting held in the endzone.

Charles Davis was especially going hard at him.

Cotton

Staff member
They showed him loafing on a route yesterday but unlike Dez it was not put under the spotlight.

The announcer was looking for anything to be negative about with Dez it was especially evident when they missed him getting held in the endzone.

Charles Davis was especially going hard at him.
I must have missed that.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, and this is an interesting little tidbit. This is the first time since '94 that the Cowboys have held offenses to an average of 25 ppg or less at the halfway point of the season.

Top Bottom