Archer: Do Cowboys believe Jermey Parnell is ready?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Do Cowboys believe Jermey Parnell is ready?

May, 6, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – If the Cowboys truly believed Jermey Parnell was ready to be their right tackle in 2013, then they would not be holding on to Doug Free the way Linus held on to his blanket.

Parnell split the right tackle duties over the final month of the 2012 season. His only start came at left tackle on Thanksgiving when Tyron Smith was hurt and unable to play because of a short week of preparation.

Had Parnell shown enough to win over the coaches and front office, there would not be this amount of discussion about keeping Free, who struggled in 2012. Over the last few weeks the Cowboys – well, Jerry and Stephen Jones at least – have made it clear that it is time they start using younger players sooner, the way other teams across the league do.

That’s a fine thing for them to say while a coach like Jason Garrett does everything he can to hang on to a job. He has to win games this year, not necessarily develop players.

The Cowboys picked up Parnell off New Orleans’ practice squad in 2010 but he was inactive for the 12 games he was on the Cowboys’ roster. In 2011, he played in six games but never took significant snaps.

The Cowboys gave him a $1 million signing bonus before the 2012 draft, hoping he could continue to develop from basketball player at Ole Miss to tackle in the NFL. He was active for every game last season but struggled early in the year when he was asked to play as the No. 3 tight end in short-yardage and goal line situations.

The Cowboys lived with Free’s struggles for the first 12 games before finally relenting and putting Parnell at right tackle on every other series. He was OK. Nothing great and not as good as Free down the stretch.

And that’s why the Cowboys – well, at least Stephen Jones – have been emphatic about wanting to keep Free but at a reduced rate from the $7 million he is scheduled to make this season.

The Cowboys made only phone calls to the agents for Bryant McKinnie and Tyson Clabo and never really got down the road on negotiations with either player. It’s the same story forEric Winston.

For better or worse, Free is their guy and Parnell remains a mystery.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This will be the albatross for the season...it is just waiting to happen.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's the real issue.

They like Parnell and don't want any legit competition for him in Clabo.

Jerry has turned into a real cheap fucker.

Lotuseater

Banned
Free played ok at the end of last year. He played like a solid starter. Not a 7 mil a year elite player, but a solid player. Maybe they think he can keep that up. Weird player.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Solid starter?

Holy shit. Somebody drug test this fool.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think there are laws against doing that to our token homer.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's the real issue.

They like Parnell and don't want any legit competition for him in Clabo.

Jerry has turned into a real cheap fucker.
He has to because his stupid son can't handle the cap.

Lotuseater

Banned
Check out how he graded out the last 4 weeks, homie. That's what I was referring to. I know I was surprised.

Rev says I'm the "token Homer". Hello pot, I'm kettle. Fag.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Check out how he graded out the last 4 weeks, homie. That's what I was referring to. I know I was surprised.

:picard

Smitty

DCC 4Life

You mean when he was getting benched? Those last 4 weeks?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
When they finally cut Free, we'll find out that it's only because Parnell play so out of this world great last year as part of the rotation.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's nice to play young players sooner and all, but Parnell is a project. He should not be included among the young players who should play sooner.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
When I think homer on this site... I think Rev.

Lotuseater

Banned
Y'all are about some clannish assholes. All I said was he played solid the last four weeks and and get called names and shit.

He DID play solid the last four weeks and im hardly the first one to suggest it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
No, he didn't get abused as often because he didn't play as many snaps. The fact that he was splitting time with Parnell limited his exposure.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Y'all are about some clannish assholes. All I said was he played solid the last four weeks and and get called names and shit.

He DID play solid the last four weeks and im hardly the first one to suggest it.
Have to have thicker skin if being called a homer bothers you and then add a GFY. Its how it goes here.

Lotuseater

Banned
I'm sure it had something to do with it clay. That's all I meant when I said " maybe they are thinking that because he played well the last four weeks, he can carry it over to this year."

Nor did I say it was a good idea, just that that's probably what they are thinking.

Lotuseater

Banned
Judging by your histrionics after I called you yourself a Homer, maybe you should take your own advice, chump.

Top Bottom