Archer: Cowboys tidbits - Why Will Allen makes it

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys tidbits: Why Will Allen makes it

May, 6, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Here are a couple of Cowboys quick hits to tide you over for a little bit:

Unless he completely flames out in the offseason and early in camp the way Brodney Pooldid last summer, safety Will Allen will be on the Cowboys’ roster this year. In addition to the $65,000 signing bonus he received on the one-year minimum salary-benefit deal worth the $840,000, he was guaranteed $555,000 of the base salary. His cap number this year is $620,000. Linebacker Ernie Sims signed the same deal but minus the signing bonus and guarantee, which would seem to keep him on a roster bubble through camp.

For those wanting the Cowboys to cut Nate Livings, remember that his $1.7 million base salary this year is guaranteed. If they cut him and he signed with another team, the Cowboys would only owe him the difference between a potential new salary (likely the minimum) and the $1.7 million.

Some of you have asked why Matt Johnson is ineligible to take part in this week’s rookie minicamp after not playing a snap as a rookie last year. Here’s why: he earned a pension credit. Ronald Leary didn’t earn that credit after spending most of the year on the practice squad before a late call-up to the active roster and therefore can practice this week.

When I listed the Cowboys’ defensive line in a post last week, I forgot to mention Brian Price. He was a “futures” signing after the season and could be a beneficiary of the team’s move to the 4-3 scheme. He did not play last year after he was cut by Chicago following a trade from Tampa Bay, but he was a second-round pick in 2010 by the Buccaneers. The Cowboys signed him to a two-year deal but there is an injury waiver in the contract because of a pelvic condition that required surgeries in 2010. The Cowboys took a similar chance on Marc Colombo in 2005. His career nearly ended because of a serious knee injury suffered in Chicago, but he was able to win the right tackle job in 2006 and hold on to it through 2010.

For those scoring at home: Tony Romo has passed on playing the Azalea Invitational in Charleston, S.C., one of the better amateur tournaments anywhere, the local Adams Golf Pro/Scratch, which he has won in the past, and will not attempt to qualify for the HP Byron Nelson Championship or the U.S. Open.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Calvin Watkins told me Will Allen wasn't a lock for the roster.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If we haven't cut Mackenzie Bernadeau, why the hell would we cut Livings? Livings was better (though still bad).

midswat

... soon
I don't think at years end Livings was better then Bernadeau.

Cotton

Staff member
Every avatar I've tried so far says "remote file too large." Just give me an avatar. Anything you choose will suffice.
Try opening it in Windows Photo viewer and changing the file size in the editor.

Oh, and I can't change your av for you. I just wanted to call you a fagmo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think at years end Livings was better then Bernadeau.
Definitely not on Romo's final interception at Washington. Livings let ancient-assed London Fletcher at Romo untouched and it ended our season.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'd like to know which of the incredible talent evaluators in our front office told Jerrah that Livings was worth millions of dollars.

Bengals fans were absolutely giddy to get rid of him.

Cotton

Staff member
Where the hell are you coming up with these pics that are so large you have to use a scale the size of your wiener?

midswat

... soon
The internets. Aren't you an Admin here? Or have you been fired because of that VB v 5.0 frick up?

midswat

... soon
Probably for the best that Matt Johnson can't participate in rookie minicamps. Fewer opportunities to pull those tender hammies.

Cotton

Staff member
The internets. Aren't you an Admin here? Or have you been fired because of that VB v 5.0 frick up?
No, I have never been an admin here. Just some geek that posts a lot.

Top Bottom