LaCanfora: Dallas Still Interested In Clabo and Winston

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason La CanforaVerified account@JasonLaCanfora 8h Dolphins trying to get an OT before draft via trade; Dallas remains interested in T Tyson Clabo and Eric Winston but $$ and cap crunch...

------------

:zzz

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
One can only hope that we're waiting until after the draft to sign one of them because we want to leave the option of taking Fluker at 18 open in case he's the BPA at that point.

I doubt that though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
One can only hope that we're waiting until after the draft to sign one of them because we want to leave the option of taking Fluker at 18 open in case he's the BPA at that point.

I doubt that though.
I suspect that's exactly what we are doing.

This team is so afraid to draft a first round player that won't start from Day 1 that it can't risk signing a guy like Eric Winston or Tyson Clabo to a 2-3 year deal because then if by some chance Fluker was the BPA, we would tell ourselves we can't take him because we just signed a guy.

Instead of doing the smart thing and signing the insurance tackle now and then just letting the draft be BPA, and dumping Clabo in a year if need be, we are gonna go into the draft with the same concept we always have -- fill needs.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
We probably end up with Free at a reduced price and a fresh Jerry sales job explaining how the last two seasons of horrible play were an aberration and our crack coaching staff will fix everything wrong with him.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

This team is so afraid to draft a first round player that won't start from Day 1 that it can't risk signing a guy like Eric Winston or Tyson Clabo to a 2-3 year deal because then if by some chance Fluker was the BPA, we would tell ourselves we can't take him because we just signed a guy.

Instead of doing the smart thing and signing the insurance tackle now and then just letting the draft be BPA, and dumping Clabo in a year if need be, we are gonna go into the draft with the same concept we always have -- fill needs.
Well said and this is one of the many things that bothers me about the way Jerry Jones runs this organization.

Carp

DCC 4Life

I'd like the first rounder to start his rookie year...and it looks like Winston and Clabo will be available after the draft, so not sure what the rush is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does it hurt to wait until after the draft? Do you think their prices will go up after the draft? If we drafted Fluker would you advocate signing Clabo to a 3 year deal with a 8 figure signing bonus?

I'm just not sure why it is smarter to sign the player now when he will obviously be available later. The only reason to do it now is because you want Clabo regardless of what happens in the draft. Meaning if we draft Fluker you still want to sign Clabo. In that case, why wait.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It doesn't hurt at all...the FA market for players is getting cheaper and cheaper. Also, I don't want to pay big dollars to an insurance tackle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My thought is why waste the money on Clabo if you might not need to waste the money on him? Free agency is dead until after the draft. You might as well wait until after the draft, see how the pieces fall, and then sign players where you need them most.

It's the same argument why the draft should come before free agency. It makes it easier for teams to take the best players available and then fill the remaining needs in free agency.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
My thought is why waste the money on Clabo if you might not need to waste the money on him? Free agency is dead until after the draft. You might as well wait until after the draft, see how the pieces fall, and then sign players where you need them most..
I think Clabo and Winston's price could increase just as well as decrease after the draft. If the teams in need of ROT's all miss on drafting one of the potential starters, then these guys will suddenly be in high demand. OTOH if most of the the teams in need draft an OT high, it's more of a buyer's market.

So who besides Dallas is in desperate need of a starting ROT and then among those teams who won't be willing to draft one in the first 3.5 rounds?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just don't see their prices going up...if someone comes in and throws bing money at them, fine, I tip my cap, but I just can't see it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I just don't see their prices going up...if someone comes in and throws bing money at them, fine, I tip my cap, but I just can't see it.
Before the draft these guys aren't the only two viable options for landing a starting RT. But after the draft, they are the only options left. If more than two teams needs a starting RT then they should at least get their asking price. If after TC there still aren't any options and another RT or two goes down from injury, their price could definitely go up.

Odds are though that you are right and the price does not go up. In fact it could go down if it's down to just a couple or even one team in need of a RT.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Before the draft these guys aren't the only two viable options for landing a starting RT. But after the draft, they are the only options left.
After the draft the option of filling a need through the draft disappears, but so do the teams that did fill their needs through the draft. I think fewer options + fewer bidders kind of cancel each other out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
After the draft the option of filling a need through the draft disappears, but so do the teams that did fill their needs through the draft. I think fewer options + fewer bidders kind of cancel each other out.
Agree completely

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
All true, assuming those teams draft to fill the need.

Top Bottom