Star Magazine: The Thinking On The O-line … Continuity

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Star Magazine: The Thinking On The O-line … Continuity

Posted May 7, 2013

By Jeff Sullivan

a@DCStarMagazine

The author of “America’s Team: The Official History of the Dallas Cowboys,” Jeff also writes a new column each week in Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine and co-hosts the “On Air with Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine” podcast. For subscription information, please click here.

In the hours and days following the season-ending loss to the Redskins, my singular offseason focus was the offensive line. And here we are, four months removed, and there’s only been one addition, first-round pick Travis Frederick . Certainly was hoping for and expected more. Would have used another draft pick on a guard, maybe signed a right tackle. Many options, all of which have been explored numerous times over. At this point, though, the reality is, those are not happening.

Never thought Doug Free would be returning. As in never, ever, ever, better chance of the Cowboys signing Terrell Owens. Or Jesse Owens. As of here and now, though, appears Free will be returning, albeit with a pay cut. With Tyson Clabo signing with Miami, the options are pretty limited. Eric Winston is still out there, but know the Cowboys felt Clabo was the better of the two. Also, Winston has been released twice in the last 14 months, so let’s not make him out to be Anthony Munoz.

Here’s the thinking of offensive line coach Bill Callahan and the front office. One word: Continuity. Ask any line coach – and this is going back to the 1950s, maybe earlier – what is the most crucial element to success, and they will say continuity. Thus, the objective of bringing the group back with the addition of Frederick.

So let’s break this down position by position: Think Frederick is the center from the first day of training camp. There is some talk that for this season at least, Phil Costa will play center with Frederick at guard. Don’t see that happening. The Cowboys drafted Frederick to play center. He was far and away the top center on their board. There is no reason for him to play guard. Also, he’s smart and should have no trouble with the blocking calls, which should alleviate some of that responsibility off Tony Romo , thus allowing quicker snaps at the line, which has been an issue the last three or four seasons.

Two more quick tidbits on Frederick: Assistant director of player personnel Tom Ciskowski told us on the “On Air” podcast last week that center was the second-most important position on the line after left tackle. This surprised me, but it explains why the Cowboys took one in the first round. Also, Callahan has enjoyed a lot of success in his career with elite centers, most recently perennial All-Pro Nick Mangold of the Jets. Also Barret Robbins with the Raiders.

The guards are going to be Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau , both of whom were signed last offseason at the urging of Callahan. Neither was great in 2012, both battled with injuries, too. However, interesting to note that while ProFootballFocus.com rated Livings as the team’s top lineman and Bernadeau as its worst, the Cowboys actually graded Bernadeau higher. So there’s that.

Tyron Smith should be dramatically improved at left tackle. The progress was obvious last season. In the first five games, he was called for eight penalties against just three his final 10 contests. And in his first seven games, he allowed 19 QB hurries and two sacks against just 18 hurries and one lone sack his final eight games. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

And now we come to right tackle. Yeah, there’s still a chance the Cowboys sign someone, but am thinking it’s going to be an open camp battle between Free and Jermey Parnell . Not saying it’s ideal, but it is what it is. Worth noting that Free played exceptionally better the final three games of the season when he was rotating possessions with Parnell. He didn’t allow a single hurry or sack and wasn’t called for a penalty in 125 snaps over that stretch.

So why should we believe the line will be improved? Frederick should be an upgrade at center, and there’s the continuity. Not saying it’s the easiest of sells, but Callahan is among the most respected line coaches in the league, so at this point, have to trust his judgment. Also worth noting, the Cowboys are going to tweak their offense for more quick passes, much like the New England Patriots. This should help protect Romo somewhat, taking some pressure off the line in pass protection.

Barring a last-second stunner, it appears the earliest Cowboys Stadium could land a second Super Bowl would be February 2019 for LIII. Those Roman numerals look strange, huh? Every Super Bowl of my lifetime has involved an X. Anyhow, certainly looks like San Francisco’s new stadium will host L in 2016 followed by Houston. Can’t fathom the state of Texas hosting back-to-back, so am guessing Miami for LII, assuming the city has worked out who is paying for the stadium renovations within the next year or so.

Now, by no means is 2019 a lock. Am 100 percent absolutely, positively certain Cowboys Stadium will host a second Super Bowl in the next decade, by 2023. Know the goal is to become part of the cycle, with New Orleans, Miami and seemingly Glendale, Ariz., at this point. And that could happen in time. For now, though, it’s about landing the second and hoping it doesn’t snow.

For me, the upset of all upsets, talking the Miracle on Ice here, is that Cowboys Stadium will celebrate its fourth anniversary later this month and it’s still named Cowboys Stadium. Have mentioned this more or less on an annual basis and am told it won’t be the case for much longer, but sure enough, here we are, four years in.

Can assure one and all that Romo cutting back on his offseason golf isn’t going to make an iota of difference in his play this season or going forward. One of those decisions that is more window dressing that substantial. Also, let’s be realistic about this, it’s not like he’s the first father with a young child who is cutting back on golf. Am hoping no rational-thinking Cowboys fan has ever blamed an interception or poor decision on Romo’s golfing. Almost every quarterback in the league golfs in the offseason.

The team’s rookie minicamp takes place this weekend, beginning Friday actually. Am looking forward to seeing the draft class on the field for the first time, although of course it’s impossible to gauge all that much before training camp. Am also intrigued by undrafted free agent Brandon Magee, a linebacker from Arizona State. Some thought he’d be a fourth-round pick, and many teams had him graded as such, including Dallas. He fell for a variety of reasons, size, possibly an injured elbow in a bowl game, and the fact he’s under contract with the Boston Red Sox.

Magee can play both SAM and WILL and will obviously be expected to contribute on special teams. He’s a superb athlete, has been drafted by three Major League Baseball teams and has played in the College World Series twice. Thing is, he wants to play football. He loves football. Always a fan of guys who love the game rather than are just playing because they’re good at it. There’s a big difference.

Would be surprised if Magee wasn’t on the roster for the season opener against the Giants.

Follow Jeff Sullivan on Twitter, @SullyBaldHead, or email him at jsullivan@dallascowboys.net.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No question continuity is a big deal on the O-line. Guys need to have a feel for what the guys next to them will do, each guy has to trust the next guy. I also tend to agree with center being the second most important position. Granted I think it is more of a mental thing then actually having a physically dominating center but your center is the man who makes all of the call and helps to cover up for weak guards next to him (A lot of times the center is giving aid to one of the guards). The problem is continuity with shit is still shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
OH.MY.GOD.
I have said it before and I will say it again.

Bill Callahan doesn't impress me.

The fact that we are entrusting this much to an OL coach is amazing to me, but also quite expected.

That is why we suck.

We don't value things globally, i.e. by a decision maker who can look at things with perspective.

Thanks to our executive leadership idiocy, we go off whatever the staff dictates from year to year.

Houck was the guy who wanted Brewster. Now Face Twitch thinks we can win with shit as long as we get a center.

Whatever.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I have said it before and I will say it again.

Bill Callahan doesn't impress me.

The fact that we are entrusting this much to an OL coach is amazing to me, but also quite expected.

That is why we suck.

We don't value things globally, i.e. by a decision maker who can look at things with perspective.

Thanks to our executive leadership idiocy, we go off whatever the staff dictates from year to year.

Houck was the guy who wanted Brewster. Now Face Twitch thinks we can win with shit as long as we get a center.

Whatever.
It would be one thing if we had stud bookened OTs and mediocre OG play, but we don't. We need(ed) to replace 4 of the 5 guys on the o-line. So while a Center will help, he's not going to change the overall shit play of the unit as a whole.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Also, he’s smart and should have no trouble with the blocking calls, which should alleviate some of that responsibility off Tony Romo , thus allowing quicker snaps at the line, which has been an issue the last three or four seasons.
:lol

Yeah, so it IS an issue with Romo reading defenses.

The guards are going to be Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau , both of whom were signed last offseason at the urging of Callahan. Neither was great in 2012, both battled with injuries, too. However, interesting to note that while ProFootballFocus.com rated Livings as the team’s top lineman and Bernadeau as its worst, the Cowboys actually graded Bernadeau higher. So there’s that.
Newsflash... we cannot evaluate interior OLs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It would be one thing if we had stud bookened OTs and mediocre OG play, but we don't. We need(ed) to replace 4 of the 5 guys on the o-line. So while a Center will help, he's not going to change the overall shit play of the unit as a whole.
We definitely needed to do more.

But our GM Jason Garrett doesn't value OLs and has only drafted one in the first round twice now in 20+ years.

Oh wait, that's Jerry Jones.

Lotuseater

Banned
Wow, someone who also thinks free played well the last 3 weeks. I say the last four games but whatever. Sure, "the rotation limited his exposure", I get it. He still played solid when he was in there, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Y'all acted like I was coming out of left field with sheer crazy-talk.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Also, he’s smart and should have no trouble with the blocking calls, which should alleviate some of that responsibility off Tony Romo , thus allowing quicker snaps at the line, which has been an issue the last three or four seasons.
Yeah, so it IS an issue with Romo reading defenses.
Actually, this is news to me and it's a big deal. If Romo is having to read the front seven and make his own protection calls, doing the center's job for him, that's a lot less time he has to read the coverages, and it's no wonder he was more mistake prone.

If we had signed Wells or Myers, or any of the many smart veteran centers that were available in Free Agency, I am certain now that we would have had a much better season throwing the football. Hell, we'd have been better off bringing Kosier back as the starting center than have to deal with that disadvantage.

Before you crow with triumph at how that exonerates your boyfriend Jason, he should have been the one jumping up and down begging Jerry for one of those guys to be the mental anchor of the OL, rather than being fine going into the season with Romo making the line calls.

It doesn't take a great front office to evaluate a guy like that either, when a vet's been in the league long enough, you know what you're getting from them.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Actually, this is news to me and it's a big deal.
How is it news to you?

I was saying for months that one of the reasons we let the clock run down is because Romo is taking that time to sort out the defense. I am quite sure you've heard it before.

If Romo is having to read the front seven and make his own protection calls, doing the center's job for him, that's a lot less time he has to read the coverages, and it's no wonder he was more mistake prone.
Yeah. Another example of how the shitty OL was affecting what you perceived as a Garrett flaw. Though I do not know for sure.... Romo may prefer to let the clock run down even despite the OL. I have to think that played a part in it because it didn't run down that far in previous years.

If we had signed Wells or Myers, or any of the many smart veteran centers that were available in Free Agency, I am certain now that we would have had a much better season throwing the football. Hell, we'd have been better off bringing Kosier back as the starting center than have to deal with that disadvantage.
You are absolutely correct.

Before you crow with triumph at how that exonerates your boyfriend Jason, he should have been the one jumping up and down begging Jerry for one of those guys to be the mental anchor of the OL, rather than being fine going into the season with Romo making the line calls.
Sure. I've said many times that Garrett isn't the GM/Coach that we clearly need here.

But at the same time, you have to acknowledge that in a functional environment like Baltimore, he wouldn't have to. The primary fault here is the GM. Which means it's primarily the GM's fault that the offense has sucked so bad too. It means the game plans are not the biggest fault, the personnel is.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
How is it news to you?

I was saying for months that one of the reasons we let the clock run down is because Romo is taking that time to sort out the defense. I am quite sure you've heard it before.
It wouldn't have been news if he was reading coverages or looking for the Blitz to call for a hot route, making the line calls is another whole job and every other team in football as far as I know has two people doing those two jobs.

That's this organization, Owner/GM, Coach/Coordinator, Coordinator/O-Line coach, now QB/Center.

Yeah. Another example of how the shitty OL was affecting what you perceived as a Garrett flaw. Though I do not know for sure.... Romo may prefer to let the clock run down even despite the OL. I have to think that played a part in it because it didn't run down that far in previous years.

You are absolutely correct.

Sure. I've said many times that Garrett isn't the GM/Coach that we clearly need here.

But at the same time, you have to acknowledge that in a functional environment like Baltimore, he wouldn't have to. The primary fault here is the GM. Which means it's primarily the GM's fault that the offense has sucked so bad too. It means the game plans are not the biggest fault, the personnel is.
Newsome wouldn't be enough to make Garrett successful because Garrett can't even pick a decent staff on his own because his coaching ties are all to a single 7-9 Dolphins team that Nick Saban quit on. He'd need an overbearing, micromanaging GM like AJ Smith to hire his staff for him as well as pick his players and tell him what the system is going to be.

I think that approach ends you up where the Chargers are. They had some talent and made a few runs but the team was always distracted and the coach was always undermined. Like the Cowboys with more talent and less money.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And the flip side to this is it is impossible to actually praise Garrett for almost anything as there's little to no evidence he's made much positive impact at all. He can be criticized for his poor clock management, inflexible offensive design, and game day decisions, though, as many of his mistakes are not personnel-driven. In fact, he seems to stick to some strategies despite knowing he doesn't have the personnel to run them. That bothers me the most, because it totally usually ends up hanging Romo out to dry.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And the flip side to this is it is impossible to actually praise Garrett for almost anything as there's little to no evidence he's made much positive impact at all.
Well, he was clearly an upgrade over Wade. He took a team that ran out to a 1-7 start and went 5-3 on the back end with them.

From the head coach perspective, he's much better. But that shouldn't be a shock because Wade is one of the absolute worst head coaches on the planet.

He can be criticized for his poor clock management, inflexible offensive design, and game day decisions, though, as many of his mistakes are not personnel-driven. In fact, he seems to stick to some strategies despite knowing he doesn't have the personnel to run them. That bothers me the most, because it totally usually ends up hanging Romo out to dry.
Maybe. But at the same time he also runs an offense that, in previous years, is one of the best with the exception of finishing drives. It would jump up to one of the best in finishing drives too if we could run the ball in the redzone.

He's not an elite coach. But with very good talent he'll get very good results. Now he just needs the OL.

Most coaches are like this. There are those who actually drag the talent down - Wade Phillips is one. There are those who elevate the talent -- Parcells is one.

Garrett's not in either of those categories.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, he was clearly an upgrade over Wade. He took a team that ran out to a 1-7 start and went 5-3 on the back end with them.

From the head coach perspective, he's much better. But that shouldn't be a shock because Wade is one of the absolute worst head coaches on the planet.
Garrett has done nothing to distinguish himself from Wade Phillips. Sorry, .500 ball is not any different from what Wade Phillips did everywhere he went. In fact, it is worse.

The big difference is that Garrett carries himself better and isn't pulling on his arm hair during PCs.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Jason Garrett will leave Dallas with a worse record than Wade Phillips, and you are what your record says you are.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jason Garrett will leave Dallas with a worse record than Wade Phillips, and you are what your record says you are.
Wade Phillips left with a better record that Bill Parcells too, so you can take that gem and flush it.

It's true to the extent that when Bill Parcells said it, he meant he wasn't doing good enough. But that's the extent of it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If Bill Parcells had been ten years younger and coaching at 100% instead of 45-50% of his old energy he would have left Dallas with a much better record. He did a number of things that were head scratchers, like refusing to let Sean Payton run the offense, trying to reinvent Zimmer as a 3-4 guy, clinging to vets that were out there embarrassing themselves for far too long.

He was a better Assistant GM here than he was a coach. And sadly, while he stocked the roster with talent, he failed to find any of that talent on the offensive line.

He took over a bigger job than Phillips but he wasted a lot of time taking two steps forward and one back in that rebuilding process so he never got to finish it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Bill Parcells had been ten years younger and coaching at 100% instead of 45-50% of his old energy he would have left Dallas with a much better record.
So?

65 year old Bill Parcells did ten times the coaching job that Wade Phillips did during their respective tenures yet Phillips had the better record.

Top Bottom