Jaguars stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
America's Team at Wembley Stadium
November, 7, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

LONDON -- AT&T Stadium might be the best stadium in the world, but Wembley Stadium, where the Dallas Cowboys take on the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, offers something the $1.2 billion stadium in Arlington can’t: history.

Rebuilt in 2007 on the grounds of the original stadium, Wembley seats 90,000, making it the largest stadium in the United Kingdom and the second largest in Europe. It is the home of the FA Cup final every year as well as England’s national soccer team.

“It’s hard to explain,” said Londoner Jack Crawford, a Cowboys defensive end. “It’s like Yankee Stadium. It’s just one of those stadiums that they destroyed, then rebuilt it. It’s never going anywhere. It’s Wembley Stadium. That’s the stadium of London. That’s the trademark stadium. To play there with America’s Team, that’s ,like, crazy.”

Jason Garrett played in a preseason game in the old stadium in 1993. He has called it one of the great stadiums in the world over and over during the week. Jacksonville is the home team and is something of London’s team since they are playing a home game here through 2016.

The Cowboys practiced with crowd noise at Allianz Park all week, just like they would do at Valley Ranch, but Garrett isn’t worried about a crowd disadvantage.

“The expression we use is home and away, parking lot, hotel, the moon, wherever we play and certainly if we play at Wembley Stadium, one of the great stadiums in the world, it is our responsibility to play our best,” Garrett said. “Certainly there is a following here for Jacksonville because they have been here, but it is our responsibility to play the right way and to go out and play.”

Tony Romo, a noted soccer player in the offseason, is excited to play at Wembley.

“The home of football over here, and I think to be able to play on the pitch, that will be something that is pretty interesting,” Romo said. “For us, it’s a once in a lifetime kind of thing.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jacksonville provides opportunity for Cowboys pass rush to excel
November, 7, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

LONDON -- If the Cowboys’ pass rush can’t get to Jacksonville quarterback Blake Bortles, then you probably shouldn’t expect it to get to any other quarterback this season.

Jacksonville has yielded 35 sacks this season, most in the NFL and five more than any other team. The Jaguars have yielded a league-leading 15 sacks on first down and third down.

The Jaguars have allowed at least three sacks in six different games this season.

The Cowboys had three sacks against Washington, their season-high, and Henry Melton has had 3.5 sacks in the past two games.

Of course, defensive coordiantor Rod Marinelli isn’t satisfied.

“He’s getting a little bit better, but he’s not there yet,” Marinelli said of Melton. “But he’s starting to improve. I want to see more. It’s still not good enough.”

Melton, who missed the final 13 games of last season with a torn ACL, was hampered by a groin strain in training camp and did not play in the preseason.

He’s getting a little healthier each week, and it’s showing in his pass rush. Marinelli said he might use Melton more on first down this week, but doesn’t want his snap count going past 30.

When DeMarcus Lawrence plays defensive end, the Cowboys might move Jeremy Mincey to defensive tackle in nickel situations to take advantage of his pass-rush skills.

Only four teams have fewer sacks than the 12 the Cowboys have accumulated this season. Other than Melton, no one on the Cowboys has more than one sack.

If the Cowboys can get a lead early, something they did often during their 6-1 start, then they have a chacne to make Jacksonville one dimensional.

That’s the best way to jump-start a pass rush.
I predict Lawrence gets his first QB trap in this game.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I would rather let Bortles throw. We could use the interceptions.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think having Leary and Free back will be big. At least there has been seeviceable depth along oline. Can't say as much for QB.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
As good as the Jax pass rush has been this year-- they have slowed way down in the second halves of games and been gassed. They may be pretty scrappy early-- but I think with our OL pounding them-- we can win by 10+ and pull away in the second half.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As good as the Jax pass rush has been this year-- they have slowed way down in the second halves of games and been gassed. They may be pretty scrappy early-- but I think with our OL pounding them-- we can win by 10+ and pull away in the second half.
They will be without DE Andre Branch, so that helps as well. They cannot allow Romo to get hit.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It will help to have Free and Leary back.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pondering Cowboys' 46: Lots of questions

November, 8, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

LONDON – As we ponder the Dallas Cowboys ’ 46-man roster for Sunday’s game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, there are many things to consider. •Start with the health of Tony Romo. While he should play, do they need to have a third quarterback active (Dustin Vaughan), just in case?
•With Tyrone Crawford out, do they need to bring in Davon Coleman or roll with Jack Crawford as a backup defensive tackle instead?
•What do they do at linebacker if Rolando McClain can play, even with knee and groin injuries? Do they dress a seventh linebacker? I want to count McClain out, but I’ve seen him play without practicing before.
•The returns of Doug Free and Ronald Leary will make the offensive line whole again, so Tony Hills and Donald Hawkins will be inactive.
•If the Cowboys need to go heavier on defense, does fullback Tyler Clutts lose a spot? What about wide receiver Devin Street?

So after serious thought, here is the guess at the inactives: Vaughan, Hills, Hawkins, Coleman, Tyrone Crawford, Jakar Hamilton and Tim Dobbins.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Weird to count on two guys I think most did not want a couple years ago.
I don't recall many people not exactly wanting Leary, just laughing at Jerry for thinking he was an eighth round draft pick.

Turns out he was right.

But Free, yeah.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't recall many people not exactly wanting Leary, just laughing at Jerry for thinking he was an eighth round draft pick.

Turns out he was right.

But Free, yeah.
Yeah...Leary was more skepticism than anything else, but 'ol Jer knows what he is doing.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas has a chance to meet this 6 game stretch completely healthy (minus the out-for-season scratches).

Giants, Washington, and Bears are must-wins.

Philly, Philly is must split or sweep.

Indy is a challenge (esp. for the defense) to gain confidence the team can defeat any QB in the league.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Weird to count on two guys I think most did not want a couple years ago.
Free has had his roller coaster ride of going up and then plummeting downward, only to rise back up again. Leary, on the other hand, was a rook last year. Hard to say much about him as he didn't come with the pedigree of a Smith, Frederick or Martin. One could say that Leary is showing the promise that Jerry paid all that UDFA bonus money for....

Top Bottom