Election Day Thread...

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Not sure. I don't mind learning, but can't find a use for the HOR these days. What is the relevance?
The number of representatives in the House is based on state population. But each state gets two senators. The idea is to keep the interests of the most populous states from completely dominating legislation, while still providing for majority rule.

When the Constitution was ratified, state legislatures elected the senators, which provided even more of a balance between a body more attuned to mass society and a body less beholden to popular desires, but we kind of screwed that up.

Carl

RIP Brother
The number of representatives in the House is based on state population. But each state gets two senators. The idea is to keep the interests of the most populous states from completely dominating legislation, while still providing for majority rule.

When the Constitution was ratified, state legislatures elected the senators, which provided even more of a balance between a body more attuned to mass society and a body less beholden to popular desires, but we kind of screwed that up.
So, I repeat my question. What use is this today? We have about 25 states with a combined population of about 50 Million deciding what happens in the country as a whole. What real power does the House have?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So, I repeat my question. What use is this today? We have about 25 states with a combined population of about 50 Million deciding what happens in the country as a whole. What real power does the House have?
He just answered that question. It's to keep the most populous states from dominating legislation. The House is the body based on population edges, where California has a huge edge in number of representatives over a state like Missouri.

You have to pass both bodies to become a law. So there's a population based system AND an equal share based system in place.

The House of Representatives and the Senate are basically equal footing when it comes to passing laws. Neither can trump the other.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I will say again. CA has about 40 million residents; yet we get 2 senate seats. Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, West Virginia, Tennessee, who all voted Republican on Tuesday, each get two. About 30 million people live in those states combined. So 16 senators against two. Change the system.
The house of representatives distribution takes care of that. If both the house and Senate were seated by population, a coalition of approximately 6 or 7 states could completely control the entire political process. The division of population representation and equal voting on the other side keeps a minority of states with a majority of population from complete domination.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The house has tons of power since you can't pass a law without it passing the house.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I recently learned some information about why the recent election went the way it did. Initially the Democrats started with an overwhelming lead by the voters but as the day wore on the republicans got off work then voted.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I recently learned some information about why the recent election went the way it did. Initially the Democrats started with an overwhelming lead by the voters but as the day wore on the republicans got off work then voted.
:lol

LT with the zinger.

Top Bottom