Jaguars stuff...

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I expect Romo to start and not be able to finish.

Like it or not, we're probably going to see Weeden on Sunday.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I expect Romo to start and not be able to finish.

Like it or not, we're probably going to see Weeden on Sunday.
Really, why? Because they're a good rush team?

I'd say if he can't finish the game, playing him was a big fail. But I think he'll be fine.

(Love the av, by the way.)

D

Deuce

I think he isn't expected to finish because it'll take one shot to bring all the pain back.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Because of the turf?
Really, why? Because they're a good rush team?

I'd say if he can't finish the game, playing him was a big fail. But I think he'll be fine.

(Love the av, by the way.)
I think he'll either aggravate it avoiding a pass rush (i.e. making sudden/reactionary movements that cause him to tweak the injury) or he’ll take a couple of solid hits that will aggravate it.

D

Deuce

Stephania Bell says other than the pain, the biggest thing that will be affect is his ability to throw a deep ball. That's where the torque and power comes from. Looking forward to a west coast attack, I guess.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Stephania Bell says other than the pain, the biggest thing that will be affect is his ability to throw a deep ball. That's where the torque and power comes from. Looking forward to a west coast attack, I guess.
Well, if he can simply complete a pass 8 yards or more, thats 5 more than Weedick would get.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think he'll either aggravate it avoiding a pass rush (i.e. making sudden/reactionary movements that cause him to tweak the injury) or he’ll take a couple of solid hits that will aggravate it.
With the latest injury about the only way to aggravate it is a direct hit on the cracked bone of the spine. I would like to think he will be wearing a high impact shock pad under the flak jacket. That's no guarantee but it mitigates the chances of further injury considerably.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And if you're Jacksonville, Weeden is worth the 15 yards to arrive late.
Hell, it would be even more worth it to a team like Philly when we play them.

Then again it would be worth it for us to get Matt Barkley on the field.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys practice report Friday in London: QB Tony Romo working again; LB McClain, DT Crawford out
By Brandon George / Reporter bgeorge@dallasnews.com
6:11 am on November 7, 2014 | Permalink

LONDON — Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is practicing for a second consecutive day Friday in London. Friday’s practice is mostly a walk-through in preparation for Sunday’s game against Jacksonville.

It’s another chilly and windy day at Allianz Stadium, the home of the Saracens rugby team.

Though Romo won’t be pushed Friday, he did take all the offensive on-air work early in practice Friday and made all of the throws. Brandon Weeden wasn’t doing any of that. So all signs still point to Romo starting Sunday.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Romo came out of Thursday’s practice — his first since suffering two small fractures in the transverse processes of his against Washington two weeks ago — just fine.

“He looked pretty comfortable to me,” Garrett said. “Clearly he’s coming back of of this thing. He wants to get the blood going through his body and getting his movement back both in the pocket and also throwing the football. I feel like he had a pretty good day [Thursday].”

Cowboys starting 3-technique defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford and starting middle linebacker Rolando McClain both didn’t practice Friday. They went all week without practicing. They both were at practice Friday but not in uniform.

Crawford did some stretching on the side, but that’s about it. He hasn’t been too involved this week — staying back at the team hotel the two previous days to receive treatment on his injured right knee — and the Cowboys don’t expect him to play.

McClain, who also has an injured right knee, has been involved in all the club’s walk-through practices this week, so there’s some hope there he can play Sunday.

Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said Friday that rookie Anthony Hitchens will start at middle linebacker if McClain can’t play, Bruce Carter would start at weak-side linebacker and Kyle Wilber would start at strong-side linebacker. Hitchens would handle the defensive play-calls if McClain was out.

Some good news for the Cowboys on Friday: Starting defensive tackle Nick Hayden was back at practice. He’s been out this week after injuring his shoulder Sunday in the loss to Arizona.

With Crawford likely out Sunday, undrafted rookie Davon Coleman would start at 3-technique defensive tackle, Marinelli said Friday. Marinelli said he still wants to bring Henry Melton off the bench to keep him fresh in his limited snaps.

Marinelli said if Hayden also couldn’t play, which doesn’t appear to be the case now with him back at practice Friday, defensive end Jack Crawford of London could start inside at defensive tackle alongside Coleman.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Stats-eye view of Cowboys-Jaguars

November, 7, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

LONDON -- A stats-eye view of Sunday’s game between the Dallas Cowboys and Jacksonville Jaguars thanks to the fine folks at ESPN Stats & Information:

Losing the formula: The Cowboys dominated opponents with their running game during a six-game winning streak but they’ve gone away from that run in the last two games, losing both. Some of it has to do with the score and time remaining. Some of it has to do with Toy Romo’s absence.

Cowboys Rushing Past 8 Games

6-Game Win Streak2-Game Losing Streak
*Rush pct.51.438.2
Yds per rush4.675.26
Rush PG35.325.0
1st down pct. on rushes23.618.0
Note: *Percentage of plays that are designed runs

Get after him: Jaguars rookie quarterback Blake Bortles leads the NFL in interceptions this season, and his percentage of pass attempts that have been intercepted (5.4) is the highest in the NFL.

Most Interceptions this season
Bortles, Jacksonville: 13
Nick Foles, Philadelphia: 10
Geno Smith, New York Jets: 10

Cowboys Defense This Season

NFL Rank
Yards per play6.0030th
Yards Per Gm.350.613th
Points Per Gm.21.79th
Time of Poss.28:186th
1st downs Per Gm.18.1T-2nd

Hold the fort: The Cowboys running game has had a positive impact on the team’s defense this season. Their defense is not elite, but it gets better and better when you look at stats that take into account they are running the ball well on offense:

Let’s go streaking: Tony Romo can break a tie with Brett Favre with a touchdown pass Sunday. He and favre are tied for fifth in NFL history with a touchdown pass in 36 straight games. Only Peyton Manning (47) has a longer active streak. Drew Brees set the record with 54 straight games with a TD pass from 2009-12. Tom Brady had a touchdown in 52 straight games from 2010-13.

Romo has thrown a touchdown pass in 36 straight game on the road, which is the most in NFL history. John Hadl and Favre had streaks of 32 straight games.

The big play: The Jaguars have allowed opponents to score a TD on just 40 percent of their trips to the red zone this season, the best defensive percentage in the NFL this season. Given their ability to stop teams inside the red zone and their overall 1-8 record, it is correct to suggest that the defense is susceptible to the big play.

Most offensive TDs of at least 40 yards allowed this season
Jaguars: 5
Eagles: 5
Giants: 4
Jets: 4

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
From everything I've read, neither McClain nor Crawford will be playing.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yep. Steve Dennis, who is as big a McClain fan as anyone in the media, says he doesn't think McClain is playing.

I'm not sure if I buy that.

Cotton

Staff member
Tony Romo probable vs. Jags
Updated: November 7, 2014, 11:57 AM ET
By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

LONDON -- Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo went through a full practice Friday and is listed as probable for Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, making it a virtual certainty he will start.

Romo, who has two transverse process fractures in his back, went through a limited practice Thursday. He said he felt better as the practice went on, but there was some soreness.

The Cowboys can't afford a loss to the Jaguars in London if they expect to end their playoff drought, Jean-Jacques Taylor writes. Story

As he stepped on to the team bus after Friday's practice, Romo gave a quick thumbs up when asked if everything went well.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Thursday he expected Romo to play against the Jaguars after sitting out last week's game against the Arizona Cardinals.

Romo did not have an issue with the plane ride to London on Monday night, and he took part in every walk-through session during the week, while sitting out Wednesday's practice. Romo has not practiced on a Wednesday since Week 2 as he looked to strengthen and rest his surgically repaired back.

"He looked pretty comfortable to me," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, who spoke before Friday's practice, said of Thursday's session. "Clearly, he wanted to get the blood flowing through his body and get his movement back both in the pocket and also throwing the football, and he had a pretty good day yesterday."

Garrett, however, still hasn't made a decision on who will start Sunday.

"We'll take today, we'll see how he feels after yesterday's work," Garrett said, "and hopefully he can practice the way we need him to practice today and just take it right up until game time."

Defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford was ruled out. He did some light jogging off to the side Friday and said he felt good, but did not think he would be able to play because of a sprained medial collateral ligament.

Starting linebacker Rolando McClain did not practice this week because of knee and groin injuries but is listed as questionable. Defensive tackle Nick Hayden returned to practice on a limited basis Friday and is also listed as questionable.

Offensive linemen Doug Free and Ronald Leary practiced fully for the second straight day and are probable. Free has missed the last three games with a foot injury. Leary did not play last week because of a groin strain. Linebacker Bruce Carter, safety Barry Church, defensive end Jack Crawford, tight end James Hanna, tackle Jermey Parnell and Anthony Spencer are also probable.

Cotton

Staff member
Jeremy Mincey looks to break out vs. former team
November, 7, 2014

LONDON -- Dallas Cowboys defensive end Jeremy Mincey can’t believe he has just one sack so far this season.

He is tied for the team lead in quarterback pressures with 19, but he knows close just means he’s not getting the job done.

“I got to get him,” Mincey said. “I’m trying to get him. I mean against Washington I could’ve had at least two or three sacks. He just happened to throw it or he’s an inch away. I’m like, ‘C’mon man.’ It’s one of those things that’s frustrating but I know for me I’m going to have a game where I will really break out. I feel it coming.”

Sunday would be a nice day for Mincey personally.

He was cut last year by the Jaguars after a falling out that reflected poorly on Mincey but perhaps didn’t tell the whole story. He signed with the Denver Broncos and made it to the Super Bowl. He signed a two-year deal with the Cowboys as a free agent.

“Oh, yeah, it would definitely mean a lot to me to have a big game against my former team,” Mincey said. “I mean who wouldn’t want to do it? But I look forward to a great challenge. They’re going to come to play now. That’s one thing about Jacksonville. It’s in their DNA. They’re going to play you as hard as they can and I know this game will make their season. We definitely need to be focused and prepared.”

In a short time Mincey has become one of the Cowboys' more vocal leaders. He leads the pregame huddle on the field. He is willing to let his feelings be known.

“I just came in and I was myself,” Mincey said. “I was blunt. I was straight forward. I was honest and I was real with every guy around me. I think that rubs off on guys and they respect you for who you are. Regardless of the time, I could’ve been a second-year player, but you are who you are in this world. I’m glad they accept me and respect me for that.”

The Cowboys have had their eyes on Mincey for the last few seasons but could not get him to sign. They researched what went wrong in Jacksonville and were not afraid to bring him in as a free agent.

“I think the biggest thing with Mince is he comes to work,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He comes to work every day. He’s attentive in meetings. He practices hard and he plays hard. Again, from people who we think are credible sources who’ve been around him throughout his career, that’s what they describe to us. We went ahead and signed him and [we are] happy we did.”

Now if he could get to the quarterback a little bit more.

Cotton

Staff member
Prediction: Cowboys enter bye with a win
November, 7, 2014

The Dallas Cowboys don’t just need to win this game, they must win this game. It doesn’t matter if it is pretty or ugly, they have to get to 7-3 to stop the losing streak and stop any of the doubt that might creep in with a third straight loss.

The Jaguars offer an interesting challenge because of their ability to get to the quarterback (27 sacks). The Cowboys have not dealt with pressure well in the last two defeats. It wasn’t just poor pass protection. It was also due to poor decisions by the quarterback and poor jobs by the receivers getting open. They must do a better job Sunday against the Jaguars.

The return of Tony Romo will cure a lot of those ailments but he struggled against the Redskins too in his last game even before getting hurt. While the Cowboys can’t expect Romo, sore back and all, to carry them, his presence will help them get back to the formula that led to six straight wins. The bye week could not come at a better time and the time off will feel even better after a win.

My prediction: Cowboys 31, Jaguars 17

Cotton

Staff member
Jacksonville provides opportunity for Cowboys pass rush to excel
November, 7, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

LONDON -- If the Cowboys’ pass rush can’t get to Jacksonville quarterback Blake Bortles, then you probably shouldn’t expect it to get to any other quarterback this season.

Jacksonville has yielded 35 sacks this season, most in the NFL and five more than any other team. The Jaguars have yielded a league-leading 15 sacks on first down and third down.

The Jaguars have allowed at least three sacks in six different games this season.

The Cowboys had three sacks against Washington, their season-high, and Henry Melton has had 3.5 sacks in the past two games.

Of course, defensive coordiantor Rod Marinelli isn’t satisfied.

“He’s getting a little bit better, but he’s not there yet,” Marinelli said of Melton. “But he’s starting to improve. I want to see more. It’s still not good enough.”

Melton, who missed the final 13 games of last season with a torn ACL, was hampered by a groin strain in training camp and did not play in the preseason.

He’s getting a little healthier each week, and it’s showing in his pass rush. Marinelli said he might use Melton more on first down this week, but doesn’t want his snap count going past 30.

When DeMarcus Lawrence plays defensive end, the Cowboys might move Jeremy Mincey to defensive tackle in nickel situations to take advantage of his pass-rush skills.

Only four teams have fewer sacks than the 12 the Cowboys have accumulated this season. Other than Melton, no one on the Cowboys has more than one sack.

If the Cowboys can get a lead early, something they did often during their 6-1 start, then they have a chacne to make Jacksonville one dimensional.

That’s the best way to jump-start a pass rush.

Top Bottom