Machota: Irvin - Linehan outcoached in last two games

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Michael Irvin: Cowboys offensive play-caller Scott Linehan has been out-coached the last 2 games
By Jon Machota jmachota@dallasnews.com
11:18 pm on November 3, 2014 | Permalink

Michael Irvin says Dez Bryant has been limited the last couple of weeks because Dallas Cowboys offensive play caller Scott Linehan has been getting out-coached.

Although Bryant has a touchdown in each of Dallas’ last two games, he has been targeted 17 times and come away with only five receptions for 45 yards.

The Playmaker said Monday that the Cowboys need to run more bunch sets to prevent opposing defensive backs from doubling Bryant with a safety over the top.

“Stop staggering the receivers and let’s start bunch-setting the receivers and start running double-in routes and double-out routes,” Irvin said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “Once you bunch the receivers, now I got the corners having to play off, and inside and out.

“All we’re doing is lining guys up, one right, one left and playing football. You saw what Arizona does. They are bunching their receivers, they’re helping those receivers get off that bump and get off that jam with all kinds of bunch sets and double-in routes and double-out routes. It’s impossible to cover them, and we haven’t gone to it yet. It blows my mind.”

The former Cowboys wide receiver and Pro Football Hall of Famer also had a witty response when asked why Dallas would risk taking Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo and his bad back on a flight all the way over to London.

“Because you saw how the guy with the good back played,” Irvin said, referring to Brandon Weeden’s poor showing against Arizona on Sunday. “That’s all you need to see, period.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Jerry never should have stepped on the sideline.

Ever since then Linehan's been in a funk.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
“Because you saw how the guy with the good back played,” Irvin said, referring to Brandon Weeden’s poor showing against Arizona on Sunday. “That’s all you need to see, period.”
Damn.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I have a feeling that Weeden would have been cussed out in the locker room by mid-90s Michael Irvin. Charles Haley would probably light into him as well.

vince

Not So New Member
I have a feeling that Weeden would have been cussed out in the locker room by mid-90s Michael Irvin. Charles Haley would probably light into him as well.
If that happened today, there would prob be a divide in the locker room and we'd cut that player.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If that happened today, there would prob be a divide in the locker room and we'd cut that player.
Not if they're young, talented, and productive.

Percy Harvin would still be in Seattle if he were actually productive.

vince

Not So New Member
Not if they're young, talented, and productive.

Percy Harvin would still be in Seattle if he were actually productive.
T.O. was productive and he managed to get cut by everyone.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I took Irvin' s comments to mean the coaches offensively alignments of the receivers didn't give the QB much of chance to see an open receiver.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Haley would have shit in his locker.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
T.O. was productive and he managed to get cut by everyone.
Owens was a petulant attention whore who'd complain to anyone who'd listen. Instead of taking things behind closed doors with Romo and Witten and coming to Garrett as a team, he gathered the other (lesser) WRs and went to Garrett directly.

A man understands the team comes first and you solve your problems together or not at all. A kid complains to mommy to make it all better.

So it was no surprise he got cut the instant he stopped being elite.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry never should have stepped on the sideline.

Ever since then Linehan's been in a funk.
Linehan is simply reverting to what we thought he would be.

The run is an illusion because at the end of the day, the long ass developing routes with bigger receivers that he and Garrett have always preferred come to the surface when the run is stymied.

When is the last time you saw a slot receiver thrive in an offense that either guy ran?

Not saying that Shrimp Beasley is some sort of magical solution, but if the kid is open, make sure he gets the ball.

It is on Weeden a good bit, but the offensive scheme stresses size, always has. It was a real reason why Garrett didn't keep Amendola back in the day.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
They are like minds. Same mold. Never understood the idea that they were anything different.
That's one reason I had minimal expectations about this season. Linehan has alway been a passing guy. That's why he even has the title of passing-game-coordinator. But up until the Redskins game we were extremely more balanced than any time in the last 5+ years. Then we decided 8+ yards rushing on 1st down meant we needed to pass on 2nd and 3rd. We got away from what got us to 6-1 and paid for it.

It also doesn't help that our "star QB" periodically comes down with the jitters not to mention having the authority to kill, Kill, KILL running plays at will. His consistent choking and giving him "Peyton power" is a primary reason we'll never go deep in the playoffs with him.

Top Bottom