Parents forced teen to live in woods for eating Pop-Tart

Jiggyfly

Banned
Parents forced teen to live in woods for eating Pop-Tart

A South Carolina couple forced their teenage daughter to live in the woods because she snacked on a Pop-Tart without their permission, deputies said.

James and Crystal Driggers were arrested on child neglect charges after Sumter County deputies found the 14-year-old camping alone Friday, two days into her week-long punishment.

The girl was sent to a tent about a quarter-mile from her home, and her parents gave her just a flashlight, a single roll of toilet paper, a whistle and a watch for the seven-day campout, officials said.

The forest is known for its wild hog population.

The girl was told to meet someone at a fence at a specific time each day to get food. If she didn't show up at the right time, she wouldn't eat, her parents allegedly told her.

Thunderstorms battered Sumter County Thursday night, the first night of the camping sentence, the Sumter Item reported. The girl slept in the tent during the downpour.

The reason for the bizarre campout: Because the girl ate a Pop-Tart without their permission, the couple told investigators.

This isn’t the first time James, 33, and Crystal, 36, Driggers have banished their daughter from their home. Last month, she was forbidden from entering the house between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. as another form of punishment, deputies said.

The couple has five children. The girl is in the custody of South Carolina Department of Social Services, and her four siblings are now living with their grandparents.

dallen

Senior Tech
I had to live in the woods and I didn't even get a pop-tart

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who even does shit like this? Did they want their child to die or something?

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Definitely extreme... but I wonder if it was really just over a Pop Tart?

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Dammit Jolene! We dun tol you not to eat the last maple & brown sugar pop tart! You're goin campin!

townsend

Banned
The story betrays the parents social class. If these were rich folks from California they'd probably be lauded for their open range parenting style, and their discouragement of eating junk food.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Whatever. Things tend to get sensationalized all of the time in the media. I honesty don't even believe half of this BS. This may be completely true...it also may be blown way out of proportion.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
The story betrays the parents social class. If these were rich folks from California they'd probably be lauded for their open range parenting style, and their discouragement of eating junk food.
You can almost always tell the race too. This is definitely some white people shit.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Top Bottom