2015 NFL Draft--Hypothetical Situation

D

Deuce

Since we're quite clearly going to be nowhere near the 1st overall pick, I'd like to point out that I really like how this class is shaping up in terms of our first round pick. Our biggest need is obviously DL, whether it be DE or DT, and that seems to be the deepest position group in this years class, definitely in the 1st round.

You have elite talent at the top in Williams and Gregory, guys like Oakman and Ray who probably go in the top 15 and then a multitude of guys who could be 1st rounders in Dante Fowler, Shilique Calhoun, Alvin Dupree, Eddie Goldman, Danny Shelton, Arik Armstead and Mario Edwards Jr.

I didn't like Calhoun when we were talking about him in the top 10 area but if we're sitting at 24 and he's there?

I'm good with that, I also like this Dupree guy alot, he looks explosive off the edge and has some size to him.
While I agree with you, I don't think we'll be looking at DL in the first. If we pick up Melton's option or just resign him, I think the rotation of him, Crawford and Brent will be enough for us to look elsewhere. Lawrence will be penciled in at one DE spot and be given every opportunity to keep it without much competition.

So that leaves one DE spot. I can easily see them resign Selvie to play it and go with a middle round player for depth.

But don't worry, there will be plenty of CBs to be had where we pick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not guaranteeing that we'll go DL obviously, but I think it will be on the menu for sure. For one, we have a desperate need at the other DE spot. And if we have a shot at a stud DT, I'm taking it, even though I like some of the guys we have there as solid options.

Plus I believe I've heard Stephen Jones or someone in the organization hint that the DL needs the OL treatment. I couldn't be more supportive.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since we're quite clearly going to be nowhere near the 1st overall pick, I'd like to point out that I really like how this class is shaping up in terms of our first round pick. Our biggest need is obviously DL, whether it be DE or DT, and that seems to be the deepest position group in this years class, definitely in the 1st round.

You have elite talent at the top in Williams and Gregory, guys like Oakman and Ray who probably go in the top 15 and then a multitude of guys who could be 1st rounders in Dante Fowler, Shilique Calhoun, Alvin Dupree, Eddie Goldman, Danny Shelton, Arik Armstead and Mario Edwards Jr.

I didn't like Calhoun when we were talking about him in the top 10 area but if we're sitting at 24 and he's there?

I'm good with that, I also like this Dupree guy alot, he looks explosive off the edge and has some size to him.
I don't know that DT can really be called that big of a need anymore. Not if Melton stays. The dude already has 5 sacks on the season and Crawford in my opinion has proven to be a quality DT. I don't know that DT will be on our list at all for our first round pick.

DE is still a legitimate need. I have very high hopes for Lawrence but I'd love to have a couple young studs on the roster.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The problem at DT is that its still kindof a patchwork.

Melton has an injury history, Crawford looks solid but not spectacular, the rest of the guys all have very discernable warts to go along with any upside they have.

Again, you'd want that one stud to build the unit around and you really don't have it IMO.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not guaranteeing that we'll go DL obviously, but I think it will be on the menu for sure. For one, we have a desperate need at the other DE spot. And if we have a shot at a stud DT, I'm taking it, even though I like some of the guys we have there as solid options.

Plus I believe I've heard Stephen Jones or someone in the organization hint that the DL needs the OL treatment. I couldn't be more supportive.
“Next the process will focus on the defensive line,” Stephen Jones said. “Although I can’t say we are done with the offensive line.”
I saw that at the end of an article talking about how our OL was built, and Jones said that after discussing what happened in the war room before we selected Martin, so I have no doubt that we will start investing heavily into the DL.

The thing with Melton and Crawford is that they're both 3-tech's, you don't want to play them together in the base defense and our 1-techs are Hayden, McClain and perhaps Brent?

If by a miracle Brent looks amazing this year then I'm not really worried about that spot but that is very unlikely and if I can find a 310-320 lb'er who can stuff the run and push the pocket in the 1st, I'm not hesitating. A guy like Eddie Goldman or Danny Shelton might be just that.

I'm not worried about the 3-tech spot at all assuming we keep Melton though, between him and Crawford we have a nice pairing there.

DE is our bigger need though, clearly. I like Lawrence and think he will be a starter for us, but aside from him we have Mincey, Selvie and Spencer, a group that's been serviceable but obviously you want to upgrade your starting DE spot. Give me a guy like Dupree or Calhoun in the 20's and you have a pretty nice rotation at DE with a pretty good looking pair of future starters.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

Melton has an injury history, Crawford looks solid but not spectacular, the rest of the guys all have very discernable warts to go along with any upside they have.

Again, you'd want that one stud to build the unit around and you really don't have it IMO.
That's one of the reasons why Suh's name keeps getting floated around to us in free agency. Our DTs are still patchwork.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Randy Gregory is a flatout freak, but we are not going to get a shot at him. Calhoun intrigues me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Melton doesn't have much of an injury history. He has one injury over a career of being mostly healthy. ACL tears happen a lot in the NFL. It'd be silly to write the guy off because of one when he has shown he is back in full force and effect.

Crawford's numbers might not indicate spectacular but to characterize his season as solid is way underselling him. He has been very good at this point. DT isn't really a need right now. Things could change but as the roster sits right now it is pretty well solidified. Doesn't mean I'd pass up Warren Sapp but it certainly isn't a position where we must have someone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing with Melton and Crawford is that they're both 3-tech's, you don't want to play them together in the base defense and our 1-techs are Hayden, McClain and perhaps Brent?

If by a miracle Brent looks amazing this year then I'm not really worried about that spot but that is very unlikely and if I can find a 310-320 lb'er who can stuff the run and push the pocket in the 1st, I'm not hesitating. A guy like Eddie Goldman or Danny Shelton might be just that.
I think Brent fills that need but I agree we could still probably use a great DT to pair with our 3 technique. I'm doubting you will ever see the Cowboys consider that type of player in the first though. We will get a plugger in the middle to late rounds

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Saw a mock with us taking DL Markus Golden in the first (with Calhoun our fallback option), DL Mario Edwards Jr in 2nd and Kurtis Drummond S, Michigan State in the 3rd.
Basically an ideal draft if we land a solid DE/DT/S in the first 3 rounds.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Saw a mock with us taking DL Markus Golden in the first (with Calhoun our fallback option), DL Mario Edwards Jr in 2nd and Kurtis Drummond S, Michigan State in the 3rd.
Basically an ideal draft if we land a solid DE/DT/S in the first 3 rounds.
Would love that draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Danny Shelton is a guy I want pretty bad that we could have a shot at.

Top Bottom