Jerry Explains What He Was Doing Talking To His Head Coach In The Middle Of A Game

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jerry Jones Explains What He Was Doing Talking To His Head Coach In The Middle Of A Game
Business Insider By Tony Manfred
1 hour ago

During the fourth quarter of the Dallas Cowboys' 20-17 overtime loss to the Washington Redskins on Monday, Jerry Jones had a face-to-face conversation with head coach Jason Garrett on the sideline.

Jones, the league's most eccentric and bombastic owner, has a more hands on approach than any of his peers.

He took that to the extreme on Monday, coming down from the owner's box to talk to his coach.

After the game, Jones explained what he was doing on the sidelines during the final stages of a huge game. He said he told Garrett that Romo — who went down with an ugly-looking back injury earlier in the half — was going to come back into the game.

"I told Jason that he would be back in," he said.

Based on Jones' explanation of his conversation, it's unclear if he was telling Garrett to put Romo back in the game, or if he was merely giving Garrett that heads up that Romo was ready.

The full quotes Clarence Hill of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram:

"I was here during the tail end of the examination and knew he planed to come back out and play if he were needed. Of course he was needed. I felt good that he could come back out. When he saw the opportunity he did. I told Jason that he would be back in.

“We knew there were no structural issues when they gave him the X-rays. I very concerned the fact that he laid there as long as he laid there. After we looked at the play and saw that was a knee kind of to the side of the back, then we felt better about it."

Either way, if Jerry Jones tells you Romo is going back in, he goes back in.

Jones was on the sideline cheering him on when he emerged from the locker room (that's Garrett looking peeved in the background):

Romo was lobbying hard to go back in. He appeared to have an animated conversation with the team doctor on the sidelines:

It's still unclear why Jones had to update Garrett on Romo's health status and not the doctor.

Brandon Weeden had engineered two scoring drives in Romo's absence. When Romo came back in for the game's final drive and overtime, he was unable to move the ball and the Cowboys lost.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
I was torn on the Romo decision to come back in. If he had been playing well before he got injured, I would have wanted him to go back into the game way more.

But he was struggling even before he got hurt.

I really think he was wanting another "legacy builder" moment. Hindsight is always 20/20.

D

Deuce

I was torn on the Romo decision to come back in. If he had been playing well before he got injured, I would have wanted him to go back into the game way more.

But he was struggling even before he got hurt.

I really think he was wanting another "legacy builder" moment. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Allowing Weeden to come back and win the game wouldn't have been Romo-friendly.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
It really was pretty obvious how irritated Garrett got when Jerry came to give him an update on Romo.

Jerry gets so caught up in the "show" that he loses perspective on what's really important.

He wants to win, but he wants to win in a way that the media will be all over his dick in the process.

Weeden could have gotten us at least into OT. He looked good. But I'd nearly bet that Garrett had no choice on if Romo went back in or not.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Guy was probably drunk on the Jonnie Blue again. What a fucking embarrassment.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It really was pretty obvious how irritated Garrett got when Jerry came to give him an update on Romo.
Not irritated enough to turn down those multi-million dollar checks, though.

He'll continue saying, "Yes sir" as long as Jerry will have him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Gosselin: Stay in the owner's box, Jerry Jones; Romo injury decision 'troubling'

Gosselin: Stay in the owner's box, Jerry Jones; Romo injury decision 'troubling'

ARLINGTON_There were a lot of troubling moments Monday night in the overtime loss by the Cowboys to the Washington Redskins.
The lack of protection for quarterback Tony Romo, the missed tackles, the turnovers, the porous secondary...

But the most troubling? Jerry Jones on the sideline in the fourth quarter telling his coach that his battered quarterback, fresh off a pain*-killing injection in his back, “would be back if we needed him.”

Was Jerry on the sidelines in his capacity as owner? As general manager? As medical expert? It didn’t really matter. Owners belong upstairs in their luxury suite. General managers belong upstairs in the coaching box. As owner*-general manager, you hire someone to coach your team.

So let him coach it.

The owner’s appearance on the sideline and his message to the head coach gave Jason Garrett a clear indication that Jones wanted his $108 million QB back in the game.
Even though Romo had been out of the game for almost 21 minutes of clock time and off the field, in the locker room, out of the flow of the game for almost 40 minutes in real time, Jones saw Romo as his ticket to victory. And he wanted to make sure his coach knew it.

If this was baseball, and a pitcher had cooled down that long, a manager may not have returned him to the mound. So I was surprised the Cowboys sent Romo back into the game with 1:52 left in regulation. On his second snap, and first pass attempt, Romo suffered another spine tingling hit from blitzing safety Brandon Meriweather that produced a fumble, which almost ended the game right there.

Disregard the fact backup quarterback Brandon Weeden marched the Cowboys 80 yards in eight crisp plays on the previous possession to tie the game at 17*-17, completing all four of his passes for 69 yards.

Weeden was in the flow of the game -- and the ball was coming out of his hand a lot quicker against the Washington defense than it was out of Romo’s hand.

But Jones wanted Romo back in the game. And Romo himself clearly wanted back in the game. I’m not exactly sure where Garrett stood on the matter despite his public proclamations, but either way he was about to get outvoted.

And that’s troubling.

Cotton

Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

ARLINGTON_There were a lot of troubling moments Monday night in the overtime loss by the Cowboys to the Washington Redskins.
The lack of protection for quarterback Tony Romo, the missed tackles, the turnovers, the porous secondary...

But the most troubling? Jerry Jones on the sideline in the fourth quarter telling his coach that his battered quarterback, fresh off a pain*-killing injection in his back, “would be back if we needed him.”

Was Jerry on the sidelines in his capacity as owner? As general manager? As medical expert? It didn’t really matter. Owners belong upstairs in their luxury suite. General managers belong upstairs in the coaching box. As owner*-general manager, you hire someone to coach your team.

So let him coach it.

The owner’s appearance on the sideline and his message to the head coach gave Jason Garrett a clear indication that Jones wanted his $108 million QB back in the game.
Even though Romo had been out of the game for almost 21 minutes of clock time and off the field, in the locker room, out of the flow of the game for almost 40 minutes in real time, Jones saw Romo as his ticket to victory. And he wanted to make sure his coach knew it.

If this was baseball, and a pitcher had cooled down that long, a manager may not have returned him to the mound. So I was surprised the Cowboys sent Romo back into the game with 1:52 left in regulation. On his second snap, and first pass attempt, Romo suffered another spine tingling hit from blitzing safety Brandon Meriweather that produced a fumble, which almost ended the game right there.

Disregard the fact backup quarterback Brandon Weeden marched the Cowboys 80 yards in eight crisp plays on the previous possession to tie the game at 17*-17, completing all four of his passes for 69 yards.

Weeden was in the flow of the game -- and the ball was coming out of his hand a lot quicker against the Washington defense than it was out of Romo’s hand.

But Jones wanted Romo back in the game. And Romo himself clearly wanted back in the game. I’m not exactly sure where Garrett stood on the matter despite his public proclamations, but either way he was about to get outvoted.

And that’s troubling.
This whole ideology of where an owner of a business belongs or what they can and cannot do is totally absurd. If anyone buys into it they may as well align themselves with the bureaucratic and political philosophy of believing they have the right to create intervention in anyones affairs. The idea of how things are supposed to be are products of those who have no vested interest in the process.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys’ coach reacts to Jerry Jones’ Monday night sideline visit
By Jon Machota jmachota@dallasnews.com
4:44 pm on October 28, 2014

IRVING – Jason Garrett confirmed Tuesday that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones did not tell the team’s head coach that Tony Romo was playing when he returned to the sidelines after having an X-ray on his bruised back.

While Romo was being evaluated late in the third quarter and for much of the fourth, Jones came down from his owner’s box to check on his franchise QB. Jones then went onto the Cowboys sideline to inform Garrett that Romo would be able to return if needed.

“He had been down with the doctors for the X-ray and for the examination in the locker room and just been in there for the tail end of that,” Garrett said, “and just came out and indicated that the X-rays were negative and that as long as he was functional, he could be capable of playing in the game.”

Was Garrett surprised to see his boss delivering the message himself?

“I think the ideal situation is to get it communicated as quickly as possible,” Garrett said, “and he felt like he could do it. It wasn’t a big deal to me at all.”

What does Garrett think of some portraying Jones’ sideline visit as an order to put Romo back in the game?

Garrett: “Don’t worry about how things are being portrayed.”

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yep, nothing to see here, every GM does this :art

Thorn

Brand New Member
I wish I had that old, old photoshop of Doctor Jerry checking out an x-ray. Relevant here.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
This whole ideology of where an owner of a business belongs or what they can and cannot do is totally absurd. If anyone buys into it they may as well align themselves with the bureaucratic and political philosophy of believing they have the right to create intervention in anyones affairs. The idea of how things are supposed to be are products of those who have no vested interest in the process.
Well apparently Jerry's way of meddling hasn't been working for nearly the last 20 years in case you haven't noticed. But sure he has every right to be on the sideline, to call plays or even name himself HC if he pleases. But what he has the right to do and what's best for the team are two different things.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well apparently Jerry's way of meddling hasn't been working for nearly the last 20 years in case you haven't noticed. But sure he has every right to be on the sideline, to call plays or even name himself HC if he pleases. But what he has the right to do and what's best for the team are two different things.
Well as Long as you understand he has the right to do it that is the only point I was making. I and everyone else strongly disagree with his methodology and results. The writer of the article however took the position that Jones had no business going to the sideline of his stadium to check on his employee. Further he shouldn't be conversing with another employee about the circumstances. That is a call he shouldn't be making for any business owner.

Carl

RIP Brother
Not irritated enough to turn down those multi-million dollar checks, though.

He'll continue saying, "Yes sir" as long as Jerry will have him.
He wants to be the Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Right now, they are 6-2. What would you do? Ok then...

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Well as Long as you understand he has the right to do it that is the only point I was making. I and everyone else strongly disagree with his methodology and results. The writer of the article however took the position that Jones had no business going to the sideline of his stadium to check on his employee. Further he shouldn't be conversing with another employee about the circumstances. That is a call he shouldn't be making for any business owner.
Like most of us, the writer seems to realize that it's best for owners and GM's to leave the on-field and in game decisions to the coaching staff and players. And to simply try and make this into a business example rather than a football team issue is purely asinine.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Like most of us, the writer seems to realize that it's best for owners and GM's to leave the on-field and in game decisions to the coaching staff and players. And to simply try and make this into a business example rather than a football team issue is purely asinine.
VA. Professional sports is a business.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
He wants to be the Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Right now, they are 6-2. What would you do? Ok then...
Which is why it's always comical when people claim that Garrett or Wade or Campo or Switzer never had a problem with Jerry's antics. Of course not, they knew they had to go along with it if they wanted to continue being the "HC" and collecting their paycheck, especially since no one else was likely going to come knocking on their door.

It's the main reason Jerry hires these types. Those like Jimmy and Parcells will only take so much of his B.S. and had plenty of other opportunities if they desired. But the Garretts, Wades, Campos, Switzers knew/know this was their one and likely only shot and put up with it as long as they could remain hired.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I can't believe how idiotic guys like Bob Kraft, York, Rooney, etc are to leave the coaching and in game decisions to the football staff. No wonder those teams never compete for anything.

Top Bottom