User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another serious question for the pros here - medical related

Another serious question for the pros here - medical related

In spite of having health insurance, my recent hospital visits, surgeries, stays have left me with bills of about 20k. Too be honest I am afraid to open up some envelopes. Can anyone advise on a strategy to delay payment until I am at least able to go back to work. I work on 100% commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    In spite of having health insurance, my recent hospital visits, surgeries, stays have left me with bills of about 20k. Too be honest I am afraid to open up some envelopes. Can anyone advise on a strategy to delay payment until I am at least able to go back to work. I work on 100% commission.
    Can't advise on anything medical but regarding financial matters the best thing is to go to the business manager of each medical obligation and request an appoint for discussion of a repayment plan. Have your plan in mind before you go. Put everything out there as to what your circumstances are and what you are prepared to do. Most will work with you as long as it is a reasonable proposition.
    Since Day One

If you can figure it out you let me know. We are going through the same thing

Just send the bills to Obama since its supposed to be affordable.

5. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Best bet is to work individually with the hospital or whatever. The other key to understand is that if you pay something, anything, it might help them be less likely to be predatory with it.

It will go into collections, someway, somehow. Just don't sweat it though. They can't do shit if you are paying something and showing the effort.

Probably will eff up your credit, but that is overrated anyways. It's almost unavoidable with the way that any type of extended medical care will ruin you.

I guess I don't have to tell you that our healthcare system is designed to be corrupt and is a bit of a pathetic joke.

File bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    File bankruptcy.
    As a last resort, but yes, it is an option and it is a relatively short period of time before you can get a big loan again.

It is not like it used to be in the old days where there was a stigma to it. It really is not that damaging and honestly forces you to live without credit for a while. If you are in a position where you don't think you will be making big ticket purchases like a house or vehicle, it can be an option.

I know lots of people, including my wife, who did it before we got married, and it is not nearly as horrific as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
    As a last resort, but yes, it is an option and it is a relatively short period of time before you can get a big loan again.

It is not like it used to be in the old days where there was a stigma to it. It really is not that damaging and honestly forces you to live without credit for a while. If you are in a position where you don't think you will be making big ticket purchases like a house or vehicle, it can be an option.

I know lots of people, including my wife, who did it before we got married, and it is not nearly as horrific as it sounds.
    Basically the primary area of law I do.

El Other Presidente' UncleMilti's Avatar
    File bankruptcy over 20k in medical bills?

Jesus Schmitty....I'm glad you aren't my lawyer.

If you do in fact go that route...How many assets do you have? Chapter 7 will involve you liquifying any assets you have to pay off your debts. Chapter 13 will let you reorganize your debt to a manageable payment plan over 3-5 years, but also ties up all your disposable income..

If you had 200K in medical bills, you could possibly need to look at something like that. Not 20K.

Work out a payment plan...the new FICO 9 scoring methods now count unpaid or collection medical bills as less of a factor on your total credit score.

As long as you are paying something towards the debt, theres not much the Dr or hospitals can, or will do.

Obviously I wasn't giving him the entire picture with my two word answer, Unk.

But depending on income level and assets it's absolutely worth it to consider filing bankruptcy for 20k.

He just said he's out of work, so that means he's likely not a chapter 13 and won't have to pay anything back. As long as his assets are under exemption limits (which obviously he should have an in person discussion with a lawyer in his jurisdiction to determine -- though for the most part he'll probably choose the federal exemptions), you can file and have no risk except to your credit.

Which as Booze pointed out, isn't really that bad these days.
    Last edited by mschmidt64; 08-01-2015 at 11:43 PM.