Machota: Ben Gardner excited about Cowboys defense that has ‘bright future’...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ben Gardner excited about Cowboys defense that has ‘bright future’ and potential to be great

Jon Machota

Cowboys defensive end Ben Gardner never played a snap during his rookie season. The seventh-round pick tore ligaments in his left shoulder last year during training camp and had surgery in August.

He’s now healed and fully participating in Dallas’ organized team activities. Gardner said he had his protective brace removed and was rehabbing in late January.

“It was almost an advantage for me because when everyone else is beat down, worn down from the season, I was fresh and ready to get going,” he said. “I felt like I was able to get a lot of good work in during the offseason, come in ready and in shape for OTAs.”

How have OTAs been going for the former All-Pac-12 player?

“I’m feeling better each time physically and I’m feeling more and more confident,” Gardner said. “Overall, I think I’ve been knocking the rust off and kind of jumping back in. I’m just excited to be a part of this group because we got a lot of talent on the D-line.”

The group of ends and tackles defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is working with this season is deeper than a year ago.

Greg Hardy, Tyrone Crawford, Jeremy Mincey, DeMarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Nick Hayden and Terrell McClain are pretty much locked into roster spots. That leaves Gardner to battle with Jack Crawford, Ken Bishop, Ryan Russell, Chris Whaley, Davon Coleman, Kenneth Boatright, Lavar Edwards and Efe Obada for the final spots.

“I think there’s just a lot of competition across the board, there’s 10-12 guys that can really play,” Gardner said. “It’s going to make for one heck of a training camp and hopefully a heck of a season where we can put up some better sack numbers.

“I’m excited to be a part of this group because I think we’ve added some talent and we really have a bright future. I think we can be a great defense.”

While at Stanford, Gardner played defensive end in a 3-4 scheme, a position that would be similar to a 4-3 defensive tackle. He totaled 16.5 sacks and 32 tackles for loss during his final three college seasons.

The Cowboys are using Gardner as a defensive end with most of his reps coming on the left side. He is also capable of playing some three-technique DT if needed.

“It’s a little bit different,” Gardner said. “At Stanford, I was a little bit bigger, a little heavier, playing more inside. Now I’m pretty much strictly outside. I’m a little lighter, a little faster. Now I’m able to get up the field a little more. I have a little more freedom to rush the passer. I think it’s a great scheme for defensive linemen. It really puts us in position to make plays. It’s on us to go out there and do it each week.”

With players trying to make the final 53-man roster cut, the ability to play special teams can be the difference. Gardner played some during his time in college, so he’s “comfortable with it” and “willing to do whatever I need to do to help.”

“We consider him a makeup guy, really the right kind of guy,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said of Gardner after he was drafted. “He has measureables and traits that we think, combined with the way he plays the game, gives him a chance to really develop.”

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This guy is a bigger DE and we seem to be stuck on this idea of having big DEs in DT roles so I expect to see this guy taking snaps inside in preseason. It'll be interesting to see if we can stop the run with quickness, speed in pursuit, and depth as opposed to size. It'll also be fun to watch Ravi pull his hair out over it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That was Jimmy Johnson's philosophy. Fast and deep.

Charles Haley, Tony Casillas, Leon Lett, Russell Maryland, Tony Tolbert, Chad Hennings, Jim Jeffcoat, Jimmy Jones, Tony Hill and I think he cut or traded Danny Noonan away at the last moment.

Greg Hardy, Tyrone Crawford, Jeremy Mincey, DeMarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Terrell McClain, Nick Hayden, Ken Bishop, Ben Gardner and the camp bodies have a ways to go, especially in the middle.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That was Jimmy Johnson's philosophy. Fast and deep.

Charles Haley, Tony Casillas, Leon Lett, Russell Maryland, Tony Tolbert, Chad Hennings, Jim Jeffcoat, Jimmy Jones, Tony Hill and I think he cut or traded Danny Noonan away at the last moment.

Greg Hardy, Tyrone Crawford, Jeremy Mincey, DeMarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Terrell McClain, Nick Hayden, Ken Bishop, Ben Gardner and the camp bodies have a ways to go, especially in the middle.
Russell as the 10th with Whaley on the PS.

Not bad.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This guy is a bigger DE and we seem to be stuck on this idea of having big DEs in DT roles so I expect to see this guy taking snaps inside in preseason. It'll be interesting to see if we can stop the run with quickness, speed in pursuit, and depth as opposed to size. It'll also be fun to watch Ravi pull his hair out over it.
It will definitely be interesting to see if this strategy works out with regards to stopping the run. I feel good about kicking the DE's inside in nickel/dime, I just don't like the idea of doing that on a full-time basis if something were to happen to Crawford.

Do we really want Hardy, Lawrence or Mincey playing heavy snaps on the inside in base packages?

I don't really.

So what other options do we have? McClain? Coleman? Bishop? Hayden?

I'm more concerned about what our depth at the 3 looks like in base situations outside of Crawford than I am about the DL's general ability to stop the run.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Maybe Bishop turns into something decent as a plugger.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It will definitely be interesting to see if this strategy works out with regards to stopping the run. I feel good about kicking the DE's inside in nickel/dime, I just don't like the idea of doing that on a full-time basis if something were to happen to Crawford.

Do we really want Hardy, Lawrence or Mincey playing heavy snaps on the inside in base packages?

I don't really.

So what other options do we have? McClain? Coleman? Bishop? Hayden?

I'm more concerned about what our depth at the 3 looks like in base situations outside of Crawford than I am about the DL's general ability to stop the run.
Yeah the 3tech depth is alarming I think we need another vet there.

Top Bottom