Hill: Cowboys are prepping Dunbar for bigger role as third-down back

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Williams definitely has a more aggressive style than our other backs. He reminds me somewhat of Marion Barber (when he gave a damn).
The difference is Williams is more shifty and run with a much lower pad level. The problem with Marion was his upright running style of lack of elusiveness just led to a lot of hits. It wore him out. Of course you could say similar things about Demarco Murray and he hasn't burned out yet. Longevity is just so hard to predict with RBs.

I'd have no problem burning Williams for a couple years and moving on if the dude can just stay healthy. Maybe he will finally get there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are among the least talented in the conference. Dead last, if Doug Martin turns his shit around.
Or among the best if the guys live up to their potential (Top 10 draft pick, Second round pick and fifth round pick)...

Think about that one for a second!

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Or among the best if the guys live up to their potential (Top 10 draft pick, Second round pick and fifth round pick)...

It's funny. If we drafted those three in those same draft slots in 2015 coming off their same exact college careers, I'd be excited as hell about our running situation.

But we've seen all three in the pros for multiple seasons, and that's obviously the best barometer for predicting future production. And it is not encouraging.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

It not so much who are the RBs that have me concerned, it's the approach to the running game. The committee approach will have to do a lot of trial and error application before they really know who can be productive in game conditions. The early part of the season could be somewhat wasted before the right chemistry emerges and comes to the surface. It's a different system and is yet to be developed let alone fine tuned. The OL will obviously help but the backs still have to be able to deliver on the fly with little actual game time reps.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Well if it doesn't happen with this offensive talent, it's never going to happen for them.

Dallas will be all right if they stick with the run no matter what. If we get anything resembling real production from the running game I'll think of it as a bonus.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Of all of our backs, Dunbar is the one I most hate. A fat woman could average more yards per carry than him behind this line.

Genghis Khan

I like Dunbar. But he's a role player. A RB averaging 10 yards per catch is very good. He's just not a runner.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I like Dunbar. But he's a role player. A RB averaging 10 yards per catch is very good. He's just not a runner.
And getting enough carries in the right circumstances matters too.

Randle's and Dunbar's average per carry basically flip-flopped from 2013 to 2014.

A small sample size just isn't a good enough measure of ability.

Dunbar's biggest issue is his struggle to stay on the field. He's a bit too thin to win.

Genghis Khan

And getting enough carries in the right circumstances matters too.

Randle's and Dunbar's average per carry basically flip-flopped from 2013 to 2014.

A small sample size just isn't a good enough measure of ability.

Dunbar's biggest issue is his struggle to stay on the field. He's a bit too thin to win.
This is true.

Top Bottom