2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Florida State just lost this game based on that conservative play calling.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Dayum. I'm so glad I'm not a Notre Dame fan.
Regardless of that hair brained penalty, ND was in that game from start to finish. Golson still does nothing for me as a QB, but that defense is damned good.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Regardless of that hair brained penalty, ND was in that game from start to finish. Golson still does nothing for me as a QB, but that defense is damned good.
Kelly deserves a ton of credit for turning them around, especially considering all the people that said they'd never contend again due to the academic standards.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
FSU's half time adjustments trumped ND's. That offensive PI at the end? Yeaaah, not so sure about that one but if they had been able to stifle Winston in the second half like they did the first, it probably wouldn't have come into play. The defense kept them confused and at bay, the offense including the run game was clicking. After FSU walked down the field to open the second half, you pretty much knew it would come down to who would score last and it did. Many ND fans didn't have very high expectations for this season and in my case, they've exceeded mine but watch them in 2015. Young team building quality depth and starting to play with an edge.

Plan9, Golson is a good QB for the scheme but I don't think he projects to the NFL, regardless of the Russell Wilson comparisons that some throw out there. He reminds me more of Woody Dantzler, a tweener without a position. He's also spotty at protecting the ball.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
FSU's half time adjustments trumped ND's. That offensive PI at the end? Yeaaah, not so sure about that one but if they had been able to stifle Winston in the second half like they did the first, it probably wouldn't have come into play. The defense kept them confused and at bay, the offense including the run game was clicking. After FSU walked down the field to open the second half, you pretty much knew it would come down to who would score last and it did. Many ND fans didn't have very high expectations for this season and in my case, they've exceeded mine but watch them in 2015. Young team building quality depth and starting to play with an edge.

Plan9, Golson is a good QB for the scheme but I don't think he projects to the NFL, regardless of the Russell Wilson comparisons that some throw out there. He reminds me more of Woody Dantzler, a tweener without a position. He's also spotty at protecting the ball.

Not that ND struggled in moving the ball, but with all the blitzing FSU was doing, why didnt they call any screens to the RB? I can only imagine the damage that line could have done down the field.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Not that ND struggled in moving the ball, but with all the blitzing FSU was doing, why didnt they call any screens to the RB? I can only imagine the damage that line could have done down the field.
They've run the screen with more success this season, their one RB had I think 5 catches for 75 yards last week. Golson has a tendency to break out of the pocket too quickly, sometimes before protection breaks down and I think that helped take the screens out of the equation, especially in the second half. It didn't help that they drifted away from the run in the second half. The tight ends were pretty quiet as well.

I think Kelly's decision to go for it on fourth down near midfield was the real game changer. One score game, you've got the lead, are playing well and you basically gift wrap three points for them. It seemed minor at the time but I thought that was the game changer. No way do I go for it near midfield in the 1st half during a one score game against a quality opponent. There's aggessive then there's reckless. That was reckless.

D

Deuce

That last call was legit. The WR made no attempt to run a route. He just ran into the chest of the DB to clog the lane. Even the announcers made a good point. At least throw your hands up and act like you aren't the one initiating the contact.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Tough loss. We went down there and outplayed them. Outgained them by 150 yards. Ran the ball on them. Winston got rolling in second half. He's a heck of a college QB. Still should've won though.

The call at the end was close. I've seen that not called many times. The DB actually grabbed the WR and was pissed at the other DB's for letting Robinson get so wide open. Sucks to have a game come down to that. The ref down there didn't throw the flag and signalled TD. I don't know if it's the job of the ref under the goal post to watch for shit like that, but he threw the flag and didn't have the best view of the play. Watch this replay from an angle down on the goal line. http://youtu.be/vlX8EhpzwO4

I think ND still has a chance to make playoff. Small one at that. Need some help. They play some good teams which if they run table will give the committee something to think about, Arizona St., Louisville and USC.

Next year ND should be pre-season top 5. They could have 20 of 22 starters back. They have depth and Kelly has kept the recruiting train rolling. I just hope he stays at ND for awhile longer.

Last edited:

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Tough loss. We went down there and outplayed them. Outgained them by 150 yards. Ran the ball on them. Winston got rolling in second half. He's a heck of a college QB. Still should've won though.

The call at the end was close. I've seen that not called many times. The DB actually grabbed the WR and was pissed at the other DB's for letting Robinson get so wide open. Sucks to have a game come down to that. The ref down there didn't throw the flag and signalled TD. I don't know if it's the job of the ref under the goal post to watch for shit like that, but he threw the flag and didn't have the best view of the play. Watch this replay from an angle down on the goal line. http://youtu.be/vlX8EhpzwO4
In my opinion, that wasn't a penalty, hence why I called it "hair brained". The refs' penalty calling was all over the map last night. They'd let blatant holding calls go, yet they called three VERY questionable PI penalties, two non-false starts, and ignored that one of them was actually caused by a FSU d-lineman jumping into the neutral zone.

I think ND still has a chance to make playoff. Small one at that. Need some help. They play some good teams which if they run table will give the committee something to think about, Arizona St., Louisville and USC.
Depending on which AZ State and USC teams show up, you'll either be in a dogfight or completely dominate both of them. The trouble is that both of those teams are bi-polar.

Next year ND should be pre-season top 5. They could have 20 of 22 starters back. They have depth and Kelly has kept the recruiting train rolling. I just hope he stays at ND for awhile longer.
We both know what happens to coaches who run pro style offenses or unique spread type offenses successfully: the NFL often calls. And given Chip Kelly's success, it gives Brian Kelly an even greater shot because his system is well suited for NFL personnel. It wouldn't shock me to see him jump to the NFL in the next few years. I don't think it'll be in 2015, but 2016 or 17 shouldn't be out of the question. He's a damned good coach.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Very impressed with ND last night.

I did not think that game would be close, but ND came to play and were the better team, IMO.

Losing to the #1 team on the road shouldn't cause them to fall more than 2 or 3 spots, so they are still in this thing.

D

Deuce

Very impressed with ND last night.

I did not think that game would be close, but ND came to play and were the better team, IMO.

Losing to the #1 team on the road shouldn't cause them to fall more than 2 or 3 spots, so they are still in this thing.
FSU isn't #1 anymore.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Tech is about to be on the receiving end of an epic beat down on Saturday.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tech is about to be on the receiving end of an epic beat down on Saturday.
It's going to be ugly. Like 2008 against Oklahoma ugly.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Sonofabitch..now we may actually be losing a top recruit because of Sumlin's insistence on keeping Snyder(who should have been fired after Duke at the latest) :angry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom