2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
QB Curve Power Hour!

Ranking the nation’s best quarterbacks after six weeks.

Trevone Boykin, TCU. Last year, Boykin’s emergence as a junior came with a slight whiff of quantity over quality as TCU embraced a more pass-friendly offense. As a senior, though, he’s proved indispensable, accounting for more than two-thirds of the total offense for a team averaging 615 yards and 51 points per game. Boykin’s explosive output has bailed the Horned Frogs out twice already this year, in nail-biting shootouts against Texas Tech and Kansas State, and from the looks of TCU’s defense he’s not going to have the luxury of taking any Saturdays off.

Kyle Allen, Texas A&M. Allen is the most efficient passer in the SEC, but this remains largely a projection of his potential in a field that (aside from Boykin) is largely devoid of proven headliners. All signs point to Allen fulfilling the expectations that greeted him last year as a five-star recruit, and he won’t have a bigger opportunity to move the needle than this weekend’s visit from Alabama.

Kevin Hogan, Stanford. Hogan has logged 37 career starts over the past four years, and the only thing that’s remained consistent in all of them is his ghastly throwing motion. Though Hogan is one of the streakiest passers in the nation, he’s never been more solid than he has over the past month: Since his opening-day flop at Northwestern, Hogan has averaged a staggering 11.8 yards per attempt (that’s per attempt, not per completion) with multiple touchdown passes in four consecutive games.

Seth Russell, Baylor. Deride the competition if you must. (And when the competition to date is SMU, Rice, Texas Tech, and Kansas, you absolutely must.) But against FBS opponents, Russell’s efficiency rating is more than 35 points ahead of his closest competitor’s, and more than 50 points better than Boykin’s.

Jared Goff, California. This time last week, Goff might have topped this list on the strength of his consistency alone. Four times in Cal’s first five games (all wins), he hit 70 percent of his passes, eclipsed 300 yards, and connected on at least three touchdown passes. Last Saturday’s loss at Utah was a stark break from that trend; Goff completed barely half of his passes and served up five interceptions in the Golden Bears’ first loss. But no college QB throws a prettier ball at the moment or has less reason to dwell on one bad night.

Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech. I’m as numb to gonzo passing stats out of Lubbock as anyone, but few Tech quarterbacks have lit up opposing secondaries as efficiently as Mahomes has through the first six games, and none of them have added the extra dimension he brings with his legs.

Chad Kelly, Ole Miss. Ole Miss gambled on the embattled Kelly as the answer to its looming QB vacancy, and so far it’s paid off: He’s stayed out of trouble since arriving in Oxford and leads the SEC in yards per game (310.3), yards per attempt (9.9), and passing touchdowns (14).

Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma. Mayfield is more impressive to watch live than he is on paper, because he plays with the same un-self-conscious flare that he shows when he dances. But he’s pretty good on paper, too, which makes you wonder how the hell he was ever a walk-on.

Paxton Lynch, Memphis.
Lynch is the runaway front-runner for the 2015 Osweiler Trophy, awarded to the quarterback with the most obsessively documented height: If you’ve seen Memphis play on TV this year, you probably don’t need me to remind you that he’s listed at 6-foot-7. His other numbers (70.5 percent completion rate, 10 touchdowns to zero interceptions) are less well publicized, but they are a big part of the reason Memphis is 5-0 for the first time since 1961.

Deshaun Watson, Clemson. Contrary to the preseason hype, Watson has been more steady than spectacular, and some of his most significant contributions (especially in the win over Notre Dame) have come in the running game. But with wins over the Irish and Georgia Tech already on the books, Clemson isn’t going anywhere, and as long as the Tigers are relevant in the national conversation, their quarterback will be too.

Honorable Mention: Brandon Allen (Arkansas) … Connor Cook (Michigan State) … Brandon Doughty (Western Kentucky) … Matt Johnson (Bowling Green) … Greg Ward Jr. (Houston).

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
QB Curve Power Hour!

Ranking the nation’s best quarterbacks after six weeks.

Trevone Boykin, TCU. Last year, Boykin’s emergence as a junior came with a slight whiff of quantity over quality as TCU embraced a more pass-friendly offense. As a senior, though, he’s proved indispensable, accounting for more than two-thirds of the total offense for a team averaging 615 yards and 51 points per game. Boykin’s explosive output has bailed the Horned Frogs out twice already this year, in nail-biting shootouts against Texas Tech and Kansas State, and from the looks of TCU’s defense he’s not going to have the luxury of taking any Saturdays off.

Kyle Allen, Texas A&M. Allen is the most efficient passer in the SEC, but this remains largely a projection of his potential in a field that (aside from Boykin) is largely devoid of proven headliners. All signs point to Allen fulfilling the expectations that greeted him last year as a five-star recruit, and he won’t have a bigger opportunity to move the needle than this weekend’s visit from Alabama.

Kevin Hogan, Stanford. Hogan has logged 37 career starts over the past four years, and the only thing that’s remained consistent in all of them is his ghastly throwing motion. Though Hogan is one of the streakiest passers in the nation, he’s never been more solid than he has over the past month: Since his opening-day flop at Northwestern, Hogan has averaged a staggering 11.8 yards per attempt (that’s per attempt, not per completion) with multiple touchdown passes in four consecutive games.

Seth Russell, Baylor. Deride the competition if you must. (And when the competition to date is SMU, Rice, Texas Tech, and Kansas, you absolutely must.) But against FBS opponents, Russell’s efficiency rating is more than 35 points ahead of his closest competitor’s, and more than 50 points better than Boykin’s.

Jared Goff, California. This time last week, Goff might have topped this list on the strength of his consistency alone. Four times in Cal’s first five games (all wins), he hit 70 percent of his passes, eclipsed 300 yards, and connected on at least three touchdown passes. Last Saturday’s loss at Utah was a stark break from that trend; Goff completed barely half of his passes and served up five interceptions in the Golden Bears’ first loss. But no college QB throws a prettier ball at the moment or has less reason to dwell on one bad night.

Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech. I’m as numb to gonzo passing stats out of Lubbock as anyone, but few Tech quarterbacks have lit up opposing secondaries as efficiently as Mahomes has through the first six games, and none of them have added the extra dimension he brings with his legs.

Chad Kelly, Ole Miss. Ole Miss gambled on the embattled Kelly as the answer to its looming QB vacancy, and so far it’s paid off: He’s stayed out of trouble since arriving in Oxford and leads the SEC in yards per game (310.3), yards per attempt (9.9), and passing touchdowns (14).

Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma. Mayfield is more impressive to watch live than he is on paper, because he plays with the same un-self-conscious flare that he shows when he dances. But he’s pretty good on paper, too, which makes you wonder how the hell he was ever a walk-on.

Paxton Lynch, Memphis.
Lynch is the runaway front-runner for the 2015 Osweiler Trophy, awarded to the quarterback with the most obsessively documented height: If you’ve seen Memphis play on TV this year, you probably don’t need me to remind you that he’s listed at 6-foot-7. His other numbers (70.5 percent completion rate, 10 touchdowns to zero interceptions) are less well publicized, but they are a big part of the reason Memphis is 5-0 for the first time since 1961.

Deshaun Watson, Clemson. Contrary to the preseason hype, Watson has been more steady than spectacular, and some of his most significant contributions (especially in the win over Notre Dame) have come in the running game. But with wins over the Irish and Georgia Tech already on the books, Clemson isn’t going anywhere, and as long as the Tigers are relevant in the national conversation, their quarterback will be too.

Honorable Mention: Brandon Allen (Arkansas) … Connor Cook (Michigan State) … Brandon Doughty (Western Kentucky) … Matt Johnson (Bowling Green) … Greg Ward Jr. (Houston).
Lots of good QBs out there this year. It has been a blast to watch.

Allen is an absolute monster, IMO.

After Boykin I'd say that Mahomes is the best in the Big 12. His ceiling seems much higher now too. Seth Russell obviously is the centerpiece of the offense with Baylor but that machine is well oiled. Briles could have any QB on the roster as ready as he is.

IMO Mahomes and Mayfield are the MVPs of their respective offenses. Mayfield is working with better athletes and will have/has had some shaky moments and will continue to with pressure. BTW, how does OUs oline suck so bad?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Patrick Mahomes ability to extend plays is playing a key role in Texas Tech's offense, writes Nicholas Talbot of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

"He's pretty special," Tech offensive coordinator Eric Morris told Talbot. "It's fun to watch him create these plays and find people downfield and how accurate he throws the ball on the run is what's really remarkable to me."

In-depth stats, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information, give a good glimpse of Mahomes mobility and how it helps the Red Raiders' offense limit sacks and negative plays. The sophomore gets pressured (hit/sacked/under duress) on 22.7 percent of his throws, the fourth-highest percentage in the Big 12. Yet he's only been sacked twice in 257 pass attempts, tied with Baylor's Seth Russell for the lowest in the Big 12.

In other words, getting past Tech's offensive line is only half the battle. Mahomes is proving to be the Big 12's toughest quarterback to sack. And his 56.7 raw QBR when pressured is, by far, the best in the Big 12.

Blitzing and creating chaos is often a good plan when facing a high-powered passing attack but Mahomes will make every Big 12 defensive coordinator think twice before bringing the blitz during the remainder of the season.

Just call me a Mahomo. Full tilt homerism has been activated.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:lol @ Mahomo

Im right there as well.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
:lol @ Mahomo

Im right there as well.
The kid is just good. He has that feel to him. He turned down 1.6 million of baseball money to play football. When he says I love this game and then you watch him play you believe him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm officially in the Mahomo club as well. He is just a lot of fun to watch.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Whachall think?

1. Baylor
2. TCU
3. Okie lite
4. OU
5. TT
6. KSU
7. WVU
8. UT
9. ISU
10. KU

3-6 is tough to know. I think we will know more after TTU and OU play.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Whachall think?

1. Baylor
2. TCU
3. Okie lite
4. OU
5. TT
6. KSU
7. WVU
8. UT
9. ISU
10. KU

3-6 is tough to know. I think we will know more after TTU and OU play.
I agree with you about 3-6. OU and K-State play this weekend. That game is a complete tossup, IMO.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I love that TTU is doing a thing again. We're like a season away from being He Who Shall Not Be Named era. All offense, no defense, puncher's chance in any game.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I love that TTU is doing a thing again. We're like a season away from being He Who Shall Not Be Named era. All offense, no defense, puncher's chance in any game.
There is still a way to go but you gotta feel good about the chances for 7-8 wins or miracles beyond. What I see is a team playing their asses off. Go ahead and ignore the defensive stats. They are awful. those little turds are getting a stop here and there and getting takeaways. The talent and size is terrible but they play HARD. I haven't seen the defense give this kind of effort since Ruffin was the DC. That's about all you can ask. Gibbs has made a big difference and Kliff is growing up from being a pup to forming a plan.

The offense can compete with anyone in the Big 12. There could be a stinker coming but it doesn't feel like it right now.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Last season we scored 43 TDs all season. So far we've scored 49 through 6 games this year. The offense could set some records this year. That is saying something.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
[MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION] sonofa beech! What happened to your team? I had no idea. I figured it wasn't good because you've been quiet but, man things are bad. Still feeling good about that Big 12 invite and competing? Sheesh. :budd

i know the feeling so I can't kick you too hard...

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
There is still a way to go but you gotta feel good about the chances for 7-8 wins or miracles beyond. What I see is a team playing their asses off. Go ahead and ignore the defensive stats. They are awful. those little turds are getting a stop here and there and getting takeaways. The talent and size is terrible but they play HARD. I haven't seen the defense give this kind of effort since Ruffin was the DC. That's about all you can ask. Gibbs has made a big difference and Kliff is growing up from being a pup to forming a plan.

The offense can compete with anyone in the Big 12. There could be a stinker coming but it doesn't feel like it right now.
Last season we scored 43 TDs all season. So far we've scored 49 through 6 games this year. The offense could set some records this year. That is saying something.
Mahomes has given us what we hoped Stidham would be. The only thing I hope for going forward is that Gibbs is smart enough to sell out for an overly aggressive defense. Zone Blitz, shift coverage, whatever it takes with the goal of leading the NCAA in turnovers to give the offense more ammunition and force opposing offenses to choose between playing conservative and getting outscored or getting aggressive and maybe giving away free scores to the TTU offense.

D

Deuce

@Deuce sonofa beech! What happened to your team? I had no idea. I figured it wasn't good because you've been quiet but, man things are bad. Still feeling good about that Big 12 invite and competing? Sheesh. :budd

i know the feeling so I can't kick you too hard...
We've had worse injuries than the Cowboys. Lost out #1 QB, WR, top 2 RBs, #1CB, both safeties and best pass rushing DE...all but the QB for the season. Add in our recruiting sanctions the previous 3 years and so our depth is shit. We've burned about 6 freshman red shirts and are playing freshman and sophomore walkons at some spots.

As as for an invite, one football season isn't going to make or break our chances since winning is so far down the list of important topics a conference will look at. We still have more to offer in other areas and I'm assuming we'll be right back in the thick of things on the field next season.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Mahomes has given us what we hoped Stidham would be. The only thing I hope for going forward is that Gibbs is smart enough to sell out for an overly aggressive defense. Zone Blitz, shift coverage, whatever it takes with the goal of leading the NCAA in turnovers to give the offense more ammunition and force opposing offenses to choose between playing conservative and getting outscored or getting aggressive and maybe giving away free scores to the TTU offense.
I couldn't disagreeing more on Gibbs. Gibbs is the king of turnovers. At UH he turned that program around from terrible to leading the country in turnovers. They were fantastic in that area.

This season he has improved TTU from dead last to 45 in turnover margin. We've likely already played our toughest games and I see us improving.

Our problem has been the same for years:

1. lack of talent
2. lack of depth
3. lack of size
4. terrible gap control/discipline
5. failure, panic, chaos - rinse and repeat

I see a team that is playing really hard. There is less panic when things break down, They stay focused and keep chipping away. For now I wouldn't attempt to draw up all sorts of blitzes. I do not believe that is the answer with these midgets. We are playing children in the secondary.

we need

1. Don't panic
2. confidence
3. experience
4. defensive linemen depth (currently have 7 committed but the solution is long-term)
5. a coordinator that will stay for multiple seasons. can't build a defense with new guy for 7 seasons in a row...let that sink in...
6. Size

If we don't have depth and our DL gets pushed 5 yards back while our LBers get ran over by a RB that weighs more than them you have to find a way to get them to hustle and believe in themselves. That's not a one season process.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I do like Gibbs and already see improvement from years past. Just needs some more recruiting classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom