Cowboys sign OT La'el Collins

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wonder the one reason. Not really a factor if he wants to be here.
I would assume he meant if he could get more money somewhere else.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel like the fact that he's visiting us first has to be a good sign.

I thought there was some deadline we had to pass though -- like his graduation or something -- before we could meet with him? Did that already happen?
I don't think that applies to meeting and negotiations. Otherwise all UDFA's wouldn't be able to really sign after the draft. Collins just can't participate in team activities until he finishes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, he just had to be cleared of charges first, I believe.
Well he didn't have to be but I'm sure no NFL team wanted to be linked to him until he was cleared. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell under the table basically told all the NFL teams not to sign him or face a super serious punishment if they did and he was the murderer.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Do RT's and Guards really make that much different money? I would get it if he is playing LT but I don't think that's the plan for any NFL teams.
I'd say OGs have the potential to make more money. It's rare for a RT to make the pro bowl.

Cotton

Staff member
Well he didn't have to be but I'm sure no NFL team wanted to be linked to him until he was cleared. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell under the table basically told all the NFL teams not to sign him or face a super serious punishment if they did and he was the murderer.
Yeah, that makes sense.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'd say OGs have the potential to make more money. It's rare for a RT to make the pro bowl.
Yeah. They only play a RT every third pro bowl.

Cotton

Staff member
Former LSU OT La’el Collins comes to Dallas, gets wooed by Jerry Jones, Cowboys

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.chill@star-telegram.com

The La’el Collins’ recruiting tour hit Dallas on Wednesday night as the Cowboys are joining the sweepstakes for the former LSU star, according to a source.

Collins, a second-team All-American and first-team All-SEC offensive tackle, was considered a can’t-miss, first-round prospect in the 2015 NFL Draft. But he went undrafted last weekend because he was sought in questioning by Baton Rouge police in the April 24 shooting death of his pregnant former girlfriend Brittney Mills.

Collins has never been listed as a suspect and Baton Rouge homicide detectives have not wavered from that stance even after questioning him Monday night.

Per the police, paternity tests revealed he was not the father of Mills’ boy Brenton, who was born after her death but died May 1.

Collins has maintained his innocence all along, telling police he wasn’t even in Baton Rouge during the time of the shooting.

After losing millions by not being draft, Collins is now looking to find a home as an undrafted free agent. And he is being courted by nearly every team in the league, per sources.

Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan had dinner with him at a Baton Rouge restaurant on Monday. A number of Miami Dolphins players, including Jarvis Landry, Kelvin Sheppard and Anthony Johnson, who played him in college at LSU, lobbied him to join their team in a meeting Tuesday night in Baton Rouge.

Per reports, the New England Patriots have also expressed their interest, among others.

The Cowboys, however, were the first team to get Collins on a road trip. He made a visit to Dallas on Wednesday night where he was greeted at an undisclosed location with a full-court press from every level of the organization, per a source. Owner Jerry Jones, coaches, players were all on hand to woo Collins.

The meeting seems to be on par with a loop hole in an NFL rule barring teams from meeting with Collins or any other draft eligible player at his school or residence until after final exams.

“Clubs are prohibited from visiting a player who was eligible for the 2015 Draft at his campus or residence if the player has withdrawn from school and final exams have yet to conclude at the school,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said to the website profootballtalk.nbcsports.com by email. “This includes drafted players, any undrafted players that have signed as free agents, and any undrafted players that have yet to sign.”

Collins has withdrawn from school. Exams will be finished on May 9. He also met with the Cowboys in Dallas and not on campus or in Baton Rouge.

Collins’ meeting with the Cowboys should be the considered the beginning rather than the end of his recruiting tour, per a source. He will continue to weigh his options and find the right fit after losing millions in the NFL Draft.

Rookie free agents sign three-year deals worth $435,000 in 2015, $525,000 in 2016, and $615,000 in 2017. It also comes with a modest signing bonus as teams can spend no more than $88,000 on all their rookie free agents.

Consider that the lowest signing bonus for a seventh-round pick is $52,000 and a top 20 first-round pick usally gets a four-year contract worth more than $10 million with a signing bonus in excess of $4 million.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see any reason why every NFL team shouldn't try and sign this guy. He is a first round talent with no character concerns that you can have for peanuts for the next 3 years.

Luckily for us Jerry is a salesman and our stadium is insane. Not to mention Jerry can take him on the bang bus and let him get a little taste of Charlotte's "milkshake." I put our odds at a respectable 10%.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't see any reason why every NFL team shouldn't try and sign this guy. He is a first round talent with no character concerns that you can have for peanuts for the next 3 years.

Luckily for us Jerry is a salesman and our stadium is insane. Not to mention Jerry can take him on the bang bus and let him get a little taste of Charlotte's "milkshake." I put our odds at a respectable 10%.
I think he should be interested also in the chance to start on an incredible OL. Pro Bowl nods for OL tend to come in bunches and it's good to have guys on either side of you who won't make you look bad by messing up their assignments.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he should be interested also in the chance to start on an incredible OL. Pro Bowl nods for OL tend to come in bunches and it's good to have guys on either side of you who won't make you look bad by messing up their assignments.
No question about it. Given the choice I'd seriously doubt Collins is going to sign with a shit team. He isn't your typical undrafted guy who will automatically get burried below 3rd and 4th round draft picks on the depth chart. Whoever signs the guy is going to treat him like the first round talent that he is. That means he's probably going to get a great shot at starting no matter what team signs him.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Just thought your sentence was funny. I know its left tackles that get voted in but you worded it in a way that I took it as the Pro Bowl rarely plays a Right Tackle on the line I.e. they only play 4 of the positions....

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He can't make LT money in Dallas.

He has a chance to do so at many other contenders or near-contenders.

Endgame.

Cotton

Staff member
He can't make LT money in Dallas.

He has a chance to do so at many other contenders or near-contenders.

Endgame.
He can't make LT money at all for the next 3 years. My understanding is there is a max you can use on an UDFA. Unless you meant after he has played out his rookie contract.

Top Bottom