Cowboys sign OT La'el Collins

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh... interesting.
It's almost like all the NFL teams decided not to draft him to prevent him from being able to do that. I guess it would have been worth it to him if he could have still been a first round pick next year. I guess I didn't realize if he wasn't drafted he couldn't enter another draft but if he was drafted he could sit out a year. Just seems odd to me.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
It's almost like all the NFL teams decided not to draft him to prevent him from being able to do that. I guess it would have been worth it to him if he could have still been a first round pick next year. I guess I didn't realize if he wasn't drafted he couldn't enter another draft but if he was drafted he could sit out a year. Just seems odd to me.
It's very odd, but it's how the CBA is written.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He actually did threaten to do just this, which is why teams didn't bother wasting a pick.

I wonder if anyone could sign him for 1st round pick money anyways given the CBA limitations on UDFA contracts.
Yeah, the rookie pool is kind of limiting. I'd be willing to devote all of our UDFA money plus the money from all 3 of our useless 7th round picks.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
http://www.klewtv.com/sports/NFL-Free-Agent-Collins-Cleared-as-Suspect---302785881.html

LEWISTON, ID - In a developing story that has become more clear as the days roll on former LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins has been cleared as a suspect in the shooting death of his former girlfriend Brittney Mills.

The surefire first round draft pick's stock plummeted following initial accusations that Collins could be involved in the shooting. The new NFL free agent is able to meet with teams.

Collins' attorney spoke about Collins' interview with police Monday.

"He answered all the questions that they had," said Collins' Attorney Jim Boren. "Every question we didn't claim the fifth we answered every single question we gave them all the information they asked for and he's ready to get his life back."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
http://www.klewtv.com/sports/NFL-Free-Agent-Collins-Cleared-as-Suspect---302785881.html

LEWISTON, ID - In a developing story that has become more clear as the days roll on former LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins has been cleared as a suspect in the shooting death of his former girlfriend Brittney Mills.

The surefire first round draft pick's stock plummeted following initial accusations that Collins could be involved in the shooting. The new NFL free agent is able to meet with teams.

Collins' attorney spoke about Collins' interview with police Monday.

"He answered all the questions that they had," said Collins' Attorney Jim Boren. "Every question we didn't claim the fifth we answered every single question we gave them all the information they asked for and he's ready to get his life back."
Check your PMs, jackwagon.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I'm an NFL team this is all I need.

Cotton

Staff member
I feel bad for the guy though. If this all takes place a week earlier he is a first/second round pick in my opinion.
Yep, just a terrible stroke of bad luck.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, just a terrible stroke of bad luck.
I mean millions of dollars and it had absolutely nothing to do with him. The NFL probably should have let him enter the supplemental draft but as a Cowboys fan I don't care. If he was in the supplemental draft I doubt Dallas would have even the slightest chance of getting him. As an UDFA we at least have some small chance.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Source: Former LSU OL La’el Collins not father of Brenton Mills, has meeting with Cowboys planned

Former LSU offensive lineman La’el Collins was not the father of shooting victim Brittney Mills’ son, a source confirmed to The Advocate on Wednesday.

Collins’ paternity test produced negative results, the source said – another twist in a week-long saga regarding Collins and the death of Mills and her son, Brenton.

The 6-foot-4, 305-pound Collins went from a sure-fire first-round NFL draft pick to an undrafted free agent after news broke last Tuesday that Baton Rouge police wished to speak with him about Mills, who was pregnant at the time of her shooting on April 24 and who police said Collins had an association.

Collins met with Baton Rouge homicide detectives Monday morning, a meeting that produced no change in his status: He’s not a suspect, police have said from the start. Collins’ attorney, Jim Boren, declined to confirm the news on the paternity test results Wednesday. Police did not immediately return a call for comment.

NFL teams, meanwhile, continue to recruit Collins, one of the most highly sought after rookie free agents in NFL history.

The Dallas Cowboys and Collins have a meeting planed, a source said Wednesday. They are the latest team to come after the former All-SEC tackle who some projected as high as a top-10 round pick in last week’s draft before the Mills news spooked squads.

Things have changed. “Almost every” NFL team has contacted Collins, multiples sources said.

Collins met with Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan on Monday night and former LSU players who now play for the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday. The New England Patriots have contacted Collins, too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All I can say is if we can replace a steal in Leary with another steal of an undrafted player it would be huge. Or Free for that matter. Man talk about having the best O-line in football for a long time.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
All I can say is if we can replace a steal in Leary with another steal of an undrafted player it would be huge. Or Free for that matter. Man talk about having the best O-line in football for a long time.
At least until it came time to re-sign them. Holy hell that would be an expensive Oline.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We have a 2 year window. After that, there's no QB to protect anyway.
And? Once Romo retires should we just dismantle the rest of the team? Or would a good Oline maybe help the next guy that starts...

Top Bottom