Sullivan: Garrett’s 3-Year Plan Among Random Thoughts

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sullivan: Garrett’s 3-Year Plan Among Random Thoughts

Posted 7 hours ago

By Jeff Sullivan

•This didn't happen overnight. It's being portrayed that way, like the Cowboys have been just plugging along, status quo these last three years, and wow, how did this happen? Talk of the NFL at 5-1. When Jason Garrett was named head coach following his 5-3 interim stint in 2010, he devised a plan for how the oldest team in the league could become one of the youngest, and how they could also compete while that transition took place.

•Garrett estimated the plan would take three years, which is exactly the timetable that has played out. And while there were many layers to the plan, first and foremost was the transformation of the offensive line. When that 2010 season ended, the unit consisted of center Andre Gurode, tackles Marc Colombo and Doug Free and guards Kyle Kosier and Leonard Davis. All but Free were at least 31 years old.

•Thing is, the line wasn't all that bad in 2010, Gurode was named to the Pro Bowl, the running game averaged 4.2 yards (15th in the NFL) and they allowed just 31 sacks (11th in the league). And the offense overall scored the seventh-most points in the NFL, while the defense allowed 436, which was second to last in the league.

•Yet, Garrett was adamant in what needed to be done. For this team to succeed long-term, for this team to compete with the league's elite, they needed another Great Wall of Dallas. Jerry and Stephen Jones agreed, which was significant considering that since buying the team in 1989, the Cowboys hadn't taken an offensive lineman in the first round.

•The first year of the plan saw them release Gurode and Davis while selecting Tyron Smith in the first round of the draft. The team sent legendary line coach Hudson Houck to USC to watch tape and talk with coaches, wanting to be absolutely sure that Smith was the pick. Then in the last two drafts Travis Frederick and Zack Martin were added, and here and now, the case could be made that Dallas has the best offensive line in the NFL.

•The Cowboys are leading the league in rushing yards by more than 150, and averaging 4.8 per run, which is fifth. They’ve also allowed 10 sacks in six games, tied for fifth among teams having played that many games. Dallas is also second in first downs, behind only Indianapolis.

•Make no mistake, this team is structured, anchored, whatever the terminology, by its offensive line. Just like it was during the 1990s. And was Garrett's plan from the first day he became the permanent head coach of this team.

•As for Garrett's contract situation, he's going to be here for the long haul. When it's signed is irrelevant at this point. Jerry Jones has said multiple times that he wants Garrett to be his Tom Landry and that process, yes process, takes its next step with a five-year extension. Would be shocked beyond words if the deal wasn't for that long. Would expect the majority of the assistants to be extended as well.

•Went back and watched the Seahawks game again and while I'm certainly no Bryan Broaddus, some quick observations:

•Martin was impressive, easily his best game thus far. Since the NFL started giving out Offensive Rookie of the Year in 1967, a lineman has never won the honor, which is absurd. Am guessing in at least a third of those instances that a lineman was clearly the best player. If the league wants to change the award to Offensive Skill Position Rookie of the Year so be it. If not, Martin is the runaway favorite right now.

•But this team would have been better off with Johnny Manziel, right?

•The Terrance Williams catch is more and more impressive on each viewing. Also, anyone else starting to feel a Michael Irvin/Alvin Harper vibe with Dez Bryant and Williams? One is the clear No. 1 wideout, the All-Pro talent, but the other one makes the big play, stretches the field, seems to be there at the key moment.

•Besides the touchdown catch, tight end Gavin Escobar played 24 of the 77 offensive snaps, his most this season. Still not sure why we aren't seeing more of him.

•Tyler Clutts made some nice blocks, five or six lead blocks that really opened a nice lane. Really happy they are keeping a fullback this season. The position is definitely dying, but it's not in the coffin just yet.

•Someday, someone who knows has to explain to me why the rest of the league never had any interest in Sterling Moore. Kid continues to make plays, and always has.

•Orlando Scandrick is an elite cornerback at this point. He was every bit as physical and shutdown as Richard Sherman on Sunday. And he seems to be playing with even more attitude; seems to have a different level of appreciation for his career after the suspension earlier this season. Could honestly make the case that Scandrick was the best player on the field in Seattle. On either team.

•Jeremy Mincey and DeMarcus Ware have each played 260 snaps this season. Mincey has 15 QB hurries, Ware has 14. Now, Ware has four sacks and a forced fumble, and he's seeing plenty of double-teams. Mincey doesn't have a sack, but stats aren't always what they seem to be. Mincey has spent plenty of time in opposing backfields this season.

•Anthony Spencer looked like his old self on a dozen or so plays against the Seahawks, which is just astounding considering most thought his career was finished. If he continues to improve, and with DeMarcus Lawrence and Josh Brent back in the fold here in the coming weeks, this could be a dramatically improved defense after the bye week.
•With Doug Free out for three or four weeks, Jermey Parnell will be inserted at right tackle. Don't see moving Martin at this point and putting Mackenzy Bernadeau at guard. The plan all along was for Martin to move to right tackle during the offseason, and he's dominating at guard right now, so why change that dynamic? Also, then Free returns and Martin has to change yet again. As a rookie, that just doesn't make sense.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I call bullshit on this being planned all along. Garrett wanted Floyd when we got Frederick and we would have taken Shazier instead of Martin had he been there.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I call bullshit on this being planned all along. Garrett wanted Floyd when we got Frederick and we would have taken Shazier instead of Martin had he been there.
Actually there were quite a few who said Garrett wanted Eifert(one of the zones fav guys to bring up when it suits there argument birddog was among them).
Either way I really doubt his master plan included having to be removed from playcalling.

Cotton

Staff member
Actually there were quite a few who said Garrett wanted Eifert(one of the zones fav guys to bring up when it suits there argument birddog was among them).
Either way I really doubt his master plan included having to be removed from playcalling.
Or the players drafted. Garrett is getting way too much credit for our OL draft selections. I distinctly remember watching him sulk on the war room cam when we passed of Floyd. Grand design my ass. He got lucky to be taken out of his own damn way by dumb luck, especially on the Martin pick.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Or the players drafted. Garrett is getting way too much credit for our OL draft selections. I distinctly remember watching him sulk on the war room cam when we passed of Floyd. Grand design my ass. He got lucky to be taken out of his own damn way by dumb luck, especially on the Martin pick.
Yep, much as it pains me to say, we have to give Jerry credit

Cotton

Staff member
Yep, much as it pains me to say, we have to give Jerry credit
Maybe, but I highly doubt Jerry (given his own way) would have taken Martin over Manziel had he been sitting in that war room alone.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Garrett has been determined to overhaul the OL, but he only turned to the running game out of desperation this year.

Since it's working he basically has to STFU. Linehan has embraced the run-pass balance and is taking several shorter passes by design-- things people have been literally screaming at Garrett to do for years.

Case in point Green Bay last year. With DeMarco Murray averaging 7.7 YPC, the Packers on their heels calling Callahan's blocking scheme the best in the league, how in God's name do you stop running him?

That Garrett had another year on his contract, and this one doesn't.

Cotton

Staff member
Garrett has been determined to overhaul the OL, but he only turned to the running game out of desperation this year.

Since it's working he basically has to STFU. Linehan has embraced the run-pass balance and is taking several shorter passes by design-- things people have been literally screaming at Garrett to do for years.

Case in point Green Bay last year. With DeMarco Murray averaging 7.7 YPC, the Packers on their heels calling Callahan's blocking scheme the best in the league, how in God's name do you stop running him?

That Garrett had another year on his contract, and this one doesn't.
See, I have seen no evidence to even support this.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Maybe, but I highly doubt Jerry (given his own way) would have taken Martin over Manziel had he been sitting in that war room alone.
Maybe not, but I think he was the one who wanted Frederick. A little before that Jerry had mentioned promising Romo he would get him some help up front before they agreed on the new contract.

superpunk

Banned
Orlando Scandrick is an elite cornerback at this point. He was every bit as physical and shutdown as Richard Sherman on Sunday. And he seems to be playing with even more attitude; seems to have a different level of appreciation for his career after the suspension earlier this season. Could honestly make the case that Scandrick was the best player on the field in Seattle. On either team.
lol really

also it's hilarious seeing everyone's agendas in who to give credit too. with no facts, it's all oh i hate this guy so it couldn't have possibly been his idea. or he was dragged into it. like you know. pretty damn petty.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's my impression, and not just the OL.

Garrett was determined to get younger and better across the board offensively.

The team purged the overweight, aging OL the moment Garrett took over and his first pick was Tyron, a position Jones had never drafted in the 1st round. They even dumped Andre Gurode who was coming off a pro-bowl. That was a lot of crow for Jerry Jones to eat, and the biggest change between seasons (besides a 6-10 record) was Garrett.

Until that point Jerry had been of a mind to find whatever spare parts he could to supplement Davis, Gurode, Adams, Kosier, and Columbo. The moment Garrett took over all that instantly changed. It just couldn't be a coincidence.

I also think Garrett was also behind dumping Roy Williams and Marion Barber, though Jerry probably agreed for cap reasons. Even still I think Garrett had known for some time who was effective and who wasn't on his offense and was determined to replace the older, overpriced, and injury prone players.

Felix Jones was out two years later once DeMarco Murray proved he could remain somewhat healthy, but again Murray was Garrett's third draft pick pick and at a position at which just two years earlier Jones thought he was set enough to pass on LeSean McCoy.

Cotton

Staff member
Maybe not, but I think he was the one who wanted Frederick. A little before that Jerry had mentioned promising Romo he would get him some help up front before they agreed on the new contract.
That's true, I guess. Jerry does deserve a little bit of credit.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's because you have put your head in the sand with anything that begins to compliment him as anything but the worst coach in the NFL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's because you have put your head in the sand with anything that begins to compliment him as anything but the worst coach in the NFL.
No, it is kind of because we went with dorks like Phil Costa and a collection of turds at guard for years while drafting second tight ends, cornerbacks and outside linebackers in premium rounds.

I know it is like crazy, but we spend good money in free agency on Nate Livings and Bernadeau. Sorry, that's just a bad response if you truly want to address an offensive line.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No, it is kind of because we went with dorks like Phil Costa and a collection of turds at guard for years while drafting second tight ends, cornerbacks and outside linebackers in premium rounds.
It's still obvious that Garrett has placed a premium on the position that the organization never had before. He takes over and first round OLs get selected in three out of four years.

It's not coincidence. No matter what other flaws, you have to at least admit that he has recognized and pushed to implement that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's still obvious that Garrett has placed a premium on the position that the organization never had before. He takes over and first round OLs get selected in three out of four years.

It's not coincidence. No matter what other flaws, you have to at least admit that he has recognized and pushed to implement that.
And it is something that lay people have been shouting for years. But hey, let's give him credit for that.

All in all, he's been completely in line with what we have done all along. I am talking about the pace. This line could have been like this a year or two ago and honestly, if he had his way, Frederick wouldn't be the on the team, Zach Ertz would.

And that line about "never had before" is funny. Jones spend top dollar on getting Davis, spent big money on Rivera, and drafted quite a few OL with Parcells. To me, it looks about the same, maybe our luck is better, or we simply decided to spend first rounders on young talent.

superpunk

Banned
exactly

i've disliked him as much as anyone but jeez if you can't give credit where credit is due with absolutely no reason against it what is your opinion worth?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
exactly

i've disliked him as much as anyone but jeez if you can't give credit where credit is due with absolutely no reason against it what is your opinion worth?
In Iamtdg's case, on this issue... nothing.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And it is something that lay people have been shouting for years. But hey, let's give him credit for that.
Yes, lets. It's something the owner couldn't wrap his head around for two fucking decades.

Taking four years to draft three first round offensive lineman isn't bad.

All in all, he's been completely in line with what we have done all along. I am talking about the pace. This line could have been like this a year or two ago and honestly, if he had his way, Frederick wouldn't be the on the team, Zach Ertz would.
It's the opposite of what had been done all along. We never took offensive linemen high. Now we have done so and rebuilt our line into probably the best in the NFL in a span of four years.

I don't know why he targets TEs in the early rounds. I don't know why it took him four years when it "could have been done a year or two ago."

But I do know that it was 20 years and Jerry never put this much emphasis on it before. Something got to him and changed his mind.

Maybe Garrett changed his own outlook, as well. Sure, he was offensive coordinator when we acquired a bunch of aging vets along the line. But then he deserves credit for at least being adaptable enough to recognize that the OL wins in this league.

If he realizes that the DL needs the same treatment next -- after letting Rob Ryan overspend on CBs for an offseason or two -- he'll get credit for that too.

Building the right way -- along the lines. Something Jerry has never made a consistent effort to subscribe to. Now it may be happening.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And that line about "never had before" is funny. Jones spend top dollar on getting Davis, spent big money on Rivera, and drafted quite a few OL with Parcells. To me, it looks about the same, maybe our luck is better, or we simply decided to spend first rounders on young talent.
Our scouting has gotten a lot better on the O-line. That or our offensive line coaching and development has gotten worlds better. I know three of our guys were first round picks but Frederick got shit on by a lot of experts after the draft. You can look around and see a ton of other first round O-lineman not playing nearly as well as the guys we drafted. Then you look at Leary and even though he wasn't drafted he was a guy who our scouts rated very highly if not for an injury potential. Doug Free is a middle round pick whose career has kind of been resurrected.

Someone definitely deserves credit for the improved scouting and development. Not really sure who though.

Top Bottom