Archer: Cowboys' needs match with many teams

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' needs match with many teams

Todd Archer, ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

IRVING, Texas -- ESPN Insider Mel Kiper listed the biggest needs for every team heading into the NFL draft and had the Dallas Cowboys' needs, in no particular order, as cornerback, running back, defensive tackle and safety.

It's hard to quibble with any of Kiper's thoughts on the Cowboys' needs, but I might put offensive tackle and defensive end before defensive tackle and safety.

Picking at No. 27 in the first round, the Cowboys will be at the mercy of the draft board gods and their needs might not meet up with the players available in that slot come next week.

In using Kiper's needs for all the teams compared to the Cowboys, getting a cornerback at No. 27 might be tricky. Thirteen teams picking before Dallas have cornerback needs, according to Kiper, and 17 teams overall have cornerback needs.

There are 12 teams picking before the Cowboys with defensive line needs; however, some of those teams use a 3-4 scheme and likely wouldn't be in the mix for the 4-3 players the Cowboys would be interested in.

Nine teams picking before the Cowboys have safety needs and seven teams have running back needs before the Cowboys.

While Kiper does not rank the needs in order of importance, he lists the Jacksonville Jaguars' needs as cornerback, defensive line, running back and center. The player they pick at No. 3 overall would not impact the Cowboys, but where the Jaguars could affect the Cowboys is with their second-round pick, No. 36 overall.

Should a cornerback or running back be available close to No. 27 the Cowboys could have to worry about the Jaguars jumping them with a trade back into the first round. Or perhaps the Cowboys could look at Jacksonville as a possible trade-down partner, picking up a couple of picks in the second and third rounds for their first-round pick.

Getting two more selections in the top 100 picks could be a bonus and the Cowboys would still be able to address their needs.

The Cowboys are always willing to be movers and shakers in the draft. Knowing the needs of the other teams will help them know which direction they would have to move or shake.

Prepare yourselves to trade up for a CB. It's gonna happen.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We brought in 4 1st round corners in for a visit; Collins, Jones, Johnson and Peters, one of them should be there at 27. If we trade up I'd imagine it's for Gurley, not a corner.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We brought in 4 1st round corners in for a visit; Collins, Jones, Johnson and Peters, one of them should be there at 27. If we trade up I'd imagine it's for Gurley, not a corner.
If there is a run on them, I can easily see Jerry jumping a few spots to snag his guy. The last couple of years has given me a glimmer of hope that he won't, but with that man you never know.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we trade up for an injury prone RB who will go straight to PUP I'm going to vomit. If we trade up at least make it for a guy who has proven he can be a workhorse without getting hurt.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Gurley got good marks at his recheck and will likely go way up, perhaps into the top ten. Might as well give up on that one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gurley got good marks at his recheck and will likely go way up, perhaps into the top ten. Might as well give up on that one.
Good, the man is injury prone. I don't want anything to do with that risk.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If the first 26 picks overdraft at the CB position, then a better player should fall.

Top Bottom