Sabin: Draft more than a week away and Hardy already having an impact for Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sabin: Draft more than a week away and Greg Hardy already having an impact for Cowboys

By RAINER SABIN 

Follow @RainerSabinDMN rsabin@dallasnews.com

Staff Writer

Published: 18 April 2015 06:50 PM

Updated: 18 April 2015 06:53 PM

At the NFL owners meetings last month in Arizona, Jerry Jones was asked to catalog the team’s draft priorities. One by one, he listed the positions of need. Linebacker. Defensive back. Running back. Offensive line.

“And we do have to look to the future relative to quarterback,” Jones volunteered.

But at no point during his answer did the Cowboys owner mention these two words: pass rusher.

The omission was noticeable, considering that finding a quarterback hunter with a consistent track record had been a mission since DeMarcus Ware’s departure the previous offseason.

In 2014, the Cowboys recorded 28 sacks, the fifth-lowest total in the NFL. Immediately after gimpy Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers managed to evade pressure and torch the secondary in Dallas’ divisional-round loss to the Packers, Jones’ son, Stephen, the club’s executive vice president, said in a radio interview it was “absolutely” necessary that the organization acquire a defensive lineman.

In March, the Cowboys did, signing the controversial Greg Hardy to an incentive-laden contract. The move invited backlash because Hardy remains on the commissioner’s exempt list following a domestic violence incident that occurred the previous year.

But the Cowboys saw the value tied to Hardy through a lens that both narrowly focused on his bottom-line production and widened enough to show his place in the bigger picture. Not only was he a former Pro Bowler who could immediately amplify the listless pass rush, but his presence on the roster also gave the Cowboys added flexibility with their draft strategy.

With their first-round pick, the Cowboys have more freedom to address other exigencies and potentially take the best player available — the ideal scenario in any NFL war room and one that materialized last year when Dallas grabbed Zack Martin, who became an All-Pro guard as a rookie. Hardy’s acquisition also increases the Cowboys’ latitude to seek DeMarco Murray’s replacement after the running back left during the first week of free agency.

“I do think one of the goals that we have is, you don’t want to get yourself into a position where, come draft day, we’re desperate to take a guy at a particular position because you’re so void there,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said recently. “That’s one of the decisions, one of the thought processes, that we have in free agency — to make sure that we draft as purely as possible. ... You certainly want to get your team to a point where you don’t have needs everywhere, where you become desperate come draft time.”

The addition of Hardy, a move that screamed expediency, figures to help the Cowboys avoid that fate while giving Dallas the opportunity to make a safer choice. It’s expected that the best pass rushers will be off the board by the time the Cowboys are on the clock with the 27th selection, escalating the risk they could pick a dud if they felt compelled to take a defensive end or tackle.

But at other positions where the Cowboys are looking to upgrade or solidify — particularly cornerback, linebacker and running back — many of the top prospects in this class should still be available when the Cowboys are set to hand in their draft card.

“When we get to the 27th pick in the draft, we’re going to try to determine who the best player is for the Dallas Cowboys and make our best decision,” Garrett said. “You want to be able to pick the right player for your team.”

With Hardy in the fold, that becomes an easier task because there is one fewer hole to fill.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And this is why Dallas doesn't need to waste any of the first 5 picks on anything but shoring up the defense. Looking at QB or packaging picks to obtain a RB is absolute folly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And this is why Dallas doesn't need to waste any of the first 5 picks on anything but shoring up the defense. Looking at QB or packaging picks to obtain a RB is absolute folly.
Uh, five secondary players is not my idea of a good draft. I also don't think spending a top two pick on a RB is folly, unless you want to go back to slinging the ball 45 times a game with the crap we have at tailback.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
unless you want to go back to slinging the ball 45 times a game with the crap we have at tailback.
We did that while Murray was here. Lets not pretend like he was the catalyst that changed the direction of our offense last year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Uh, five secondary players is not my idea of a good draft. I also don't think spending a top two pick on a RB is folly, unless you want to go back to slinging the ball 45 times a game with the crap we have at tailback.
I wasn't advocating just secondary players. The line and linebackers could use some help. Some of them are pretty fragile. Hardy may not be a long term pas rusher who really knows. The reliability for depth is still questionable in my opinion.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We did that while Murray was here. Lets not pretend like he was the catalyst that changed the direction of our offense last year.
Once they find a reason to lack confidence in the running game, they will start slinging it again. There is too much from Garrett and Linehan's past to think otherwise.

They need a quality back to keep that from happening.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Once they find a reason to lack confidence in the running game, they will start slinging it again. There is too much from Garrett and Linehan's past to think otherwise.

They need a quality back to keep that from happening.
Is there a quality back at say 4th or 5th? A lot seem to think that good RBs are easy to find.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think that's too long to wait for the quality we need.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Oh come on now. Everyone says the OL can make the most meager back look like Elroy Hirsch.
There's some truth to their ability to make a good back lead the league unexpectedly. I saw that happen, but
I want a stud, and they don't fall far.

townsend

Banned
Oh come on now. Everyone says the OL can make the most meager back look like Elroy Hirsch.
Demarco was a 3rd round pick so he should be replaced with at least a 3rd round quality back.
We probably could get away with a scrap heap RB committee if Marty Schottenheimer or Joe Gibbs were coaching this team, but Linehan and Garrett need a franchise back to be comfortable committing to the run.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's some truth to their ability to make a good back lead the league unexpectedly. I saw that happen, but
I want a stud, and they don't fall far.
Sure they do. Most of the franchise backs in the NFL were drafted after the top two rounds.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Interesting mix among the top 20 running backs in rushing yards last year. There has definitely been a lot of success in the second round.

Player Team Round
DeMarco Murray DAL 3RD
Le'Veon Bell PIT 2ND
LeSean McCoy PHI 2ND
Marshawn Lynch SEA 1st
Justin Forsett BAL 7th
Arian Foster HOU Undrafted
Eddie Lacy GB 2nd
Jeremy Hill CIN 2nd
Frank Gore SF 3rd
Lamar Miller MIA 4th
Alfred Morris WAS 6th
Matt Forte CHI 2nd
Jamaal Charles KC 3rd
Mark Ingram NO 1st
Joique Bell DET Undrafted
C.J. Anderson DEN Undrafted
Chris Ivory NYJ Undrafted
Jonathan StewartCAR 1st
Tre Mason STL 3rd
Andre Williams NYG 4th

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting mix among the top 20 running backs in rushing yards last year. There has definitely been a lot of success in the second round.

Player Team Round
DeMarco Murray DAL 3RD
Le'Veon Bell PIT 2ND
LeSean McCoy PHI 2ND
Marshawn Lynch SEA 1st
Justin Forsett BAL 7th
Arian Foster HOU Undrafted
Eddie Lacy GB 2nd
Jeremy Hill CIN 2nd
Frank Gore SF 3rd
Lamar Miller MIA 4th
Alfred Morris WAS 6th
Matt Forte CHI 2nd
Jamaal Charles KC 3rd
Mark Ingram NO 1st
Joique Bell DET Undrafted
C.J. Anderson DEN Undrafted
Chris Ivory NYJ Undrafted
Jonathan StewartCAR 1st
Tre Mason STL 3rd
Andre Williams NYG 4th
And yet over half the list was drafted in the third round or later.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
im very much in favor of trading down into the top 10 of the second round for this very reason. we can do well with a RB there and find good DL depth along with an OT/LB/DB

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Yeah, the half we don't care about.

Of the top 10, just 2/10 were drafted after the 3rd round. Drafting a RB high isn't a guarantee, but there is definitely a correlation between the first three rounds and the best production.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, the half we don't care about.

Of the top 10, just 2/10 were drafted after the 3rd round. Drafting a RB high isn't a guarantee, but there is definitely a correlation between the first three rounds and the best production.
:lol

Half of them were drafted in the third round or later. I love how you pick out just a specific round though as though a guy available in the fourth or fifth round wasn't also available in the third.

Top Bottom