Cowboys' offensive/defensive snaps at Seattle

Smitty

DCC 4Life
you seem to be arguing against a position noone is taking

like duh we should draft simeon rice if we can get him.
Apparently it's YOU who is arguing against a position no one is taking.

All I said is that we should be still targeting the Aaron Donald/Warren Sapp type player at DT for that 3-tech spot. Yeah... it's "like duh" that we should get a player like that.

Which is exactly what I said we still need. Perhaps you missed where I said I actually like Crawford at tackle right now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Uh yes they were in the same tier Lawrence was pushed up a bit because of the lack of pass rushers in this draft.

Lawrence was the better prospect but they were not that far apart.
Uh, no.

Lawrence was a borderline first. Crawford was a solid third at best.

You are just making shit up now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Glad you agree that we should still be targeting Simeon Rices and Warren Sapps.

And since you need to use high draft picks to get those types of players, I'm glad we also agree that we should be drafting 3-tech DT high in next year's draft despite Crawford being around, if such a high end prospect is there (like Aaron Donald).

See?

We're on the same page.

And if a top DT falls to the 2nd round instead.... we should address it there too.

superpunk

Banned
we were never not on the same page

you just can't stop arguing with noone about nothing

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Even that right there shows Crawford as "2nd to 3rd", Lawrence as "mid-first to 2nd."

They weren't in the same tier.

And there weren't many sources that had Crawford as a 2nd. Most had him as a third.

What exactly am I making up?
The part about Lawrence and Crawford being the same as prospects.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All I said is that we should be still targeting the Aaron Donald/Warren Sapp type player at DT for that 3-tech spot. Yeah... it's "like duh" that we should get a player like that.
Well hell I don't pass up the next Michael Irvin at WR either but I think that's just common sense. Special talent is something you should never pass up.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Glad you agree that we should still be targeting Simeon Rices and Warren Sapps.

And since you need to use high draft picks to get those types of players, I'm glad we also agree that we should be drafting 3-tech DT high in next year's draft despite Crawford being around, if such a high end prospect is there (like Aaron Donald).

See?

We're on the same page.

And if a top DT falls to the 2nd round instead.... we should address it there too.
Don't know how to break this to you but Crawford is outplaying Donald by a large margin.

You are a big name whore just because they have a pedigree does not make them a better player.

I am not saying Donald will not live up to the billing but I also don't think just because a guy gets drafted in the 1 st he will be better than Crawford.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well hell I don't pass up the next Michael Irvin at WR either but I think that's just common sense. Special talent is something you should never pass up.
We specifically need a stud at DT and DE, or this defense will not be able to be where we want it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Don't know how to break this to you but Crawford is outplaying Donald by a large margin.
Right now? Yes.

But Donald was a prospect we all thought was going to be that Warren Sapp type in a Marinelli defense.

So when that player is there again next year, I'm targeting him. That's a "need" every bit as much as safety, or whatever.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Even that right there shows Crawford as "2nd to 3rd", Lawrence as "mid-first to 2nd."

They weren't in the same tier.

And there weren't many sources that had Crawford as a 2nd. Most had him as a third.

The part about Lawrence and Crawford being the same as prospects.
Once again you ignore what you don't want to see, that report had him projected as a early to mid 2nd round pick and Lawrence as a mid to late 1st, how is that not the same tier.

What in your mind is considered a tier anyway?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We specifically need a stud at DT and DE, or this defense will not be able to be where we want it.
Well I'd love to have 4 studs across the D-line so if they are there in the first 4 rounds, I'd take all of them.

I do disagree with you that we need to add a Warren Sapp and Michael Strahan in order to have the defense we want. There are plenty of great NFL defenses out there right now that don't have 2 elite D-lineman. With all that being said I think Crawford could eventually have a Hatcher type season. He has been very disruptive this year and just seems to be coming up short in the stat line only.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Luckily it looks like a pretty solid year for DL's in the 1st round and I think we should have some good options there in the 20-25 range. And I think pretty much everybody agrees that DL, whether that is DE or DT, is our biggest need.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well I'd love to have 4 studs across the D-line so if they are there in the first 4 rounds, I'd take all of them.

I do disagree with you that we need to add a Warren Sapp and Michael Strahan in order to have the defense we want. There are plenty of great NFL defenses out there right now that don't have 2 elite D-lineman.
I have no inclination to get into a DL vs. DB debate with you.

Suffice to say you need impact players in your front seven. I can't believe anyone would try to argue otherwise.

We currently have a linebacker or two. We need studs on the front four.

With all that being said I think Crawford could eventually have a Hatcher type season. He has been very disruptive this year and just seems to be coming up short in the stat line only.
Yeah, he could get there.... eventually. Hatcher took like 4-5 seasons to turn into that type of player. If a player is going to have a Hatcher-like career, I'd much rather him as top depth for most of his contract, as opposed to having three seasons of a bit of underachievement before finally hitting your stride.

Things look positive for him, but there is a category of player -- like a Travis Frederick, for example -- where they may not have hit that Pro Bowl caliber yet, but you know they are on their way and you aren't gonna draft any centers in the first two rounds. That is not where I'm at with Crawford.

He's more of a guy who could either turn into a Hatcher, or he could be better served as a Chad Hennings type who is great depth for years as part of a rotation but is never a big numbers guy or impact player. I'm not gonna panic if I have to start him, but I am actively looking for that Pro Bowler still, because it's a position in the Marinelli defense where you need that stud.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luckily it looks like a pretty solid year for DL's in the 1st round and I think we should have some good options there in the 20-25 range. And I think pretty much everybody agrees that DL, whether that is DE or DT, is our biggest need.
So we are going to miss our on being able to draft them...:towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no inclination to get into a DL vs. DB debate with you.
Yeah not my intention with that comment. Just that there is more then one way to skin a cat when it comes to defensive lineman and building a strong defensive unit. If we are ranking needs going into next years draft I think DE is the top need on our defense. Hopefully Lawrence can change that soon though. Just hard to put much faith in him until we see him on the field.

One could easily argue Hayden is the bigger problem on our D-line then the three technique spot.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah not my intention with that comment. Just that there is more then one way to skin a cat when it comes to defensive lineman and building a strong defensive unit. If we are ranking needs going into next years draft I think DE is the top need on our defense. Hopefully Lawrence can change that soon though. Just hard to put much faith in him until we see him on the field.

One could easily argue Hayden is the bigger problem on our D-line then the three technique spot.
I would be looking at either 1-tech or 3-tech early in the draft. But your pass rusher is usually the 3-tech and that's usually the guy you get high in a draft. Plus... maybe Brent comes back.

Top Bottom