Week 5 Gameday Chatter | Texans vs. Cowboys | 10/05/2014

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Interesting comment made by Ian Rapoport on NFLN Gameday Morning. He was talking about the rift between Orton and the Cowboys.

He said Orton and Romo had a testy relationship and that's why Orton forced his way out.

I didn't follow the particulars of Orton's exit that closely. I just assumed he was tired of the environment and wanted to go elsewhere so that he could start.

Was it previously mentioned that Orton and Romo had a strained relationship?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
You had to think there was something up. The way he left felt different than just wanting to leave to become a starter somewhere.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You had to think there was something up. The way he left felt different than just wanting to leave to become a starter somewhere.
Probably explains why Jones allowed him to walk without reconciling the signing bonus money. He likely wanted Orton out as well and didn't do anything to stop him. The money was worth it to him I guess just to eliminate the problem.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Interesting comment made by Ian Rapoport on NFLN Gameday Morning. He was talking about the rift between Orton and the Cowboys.

He said Orton and Romo had a testy relationship and that's why Orton forced his way out.

I didn't follow the particulars of Orton's exit that closely. I just assumed he was tired of the environment and wanted to go elsewhere so that he could start.

Was it previously mentioned that Orton and Romo had a strained relationship?
Nothing concrete but yea I've seen a few alluding to it on twitter

D

Deuce

Probably explains why Jones allowed him to walk without reconciling the signing bonus money. He likely wanted Orton out as well and didn't do anything to stop him. The money was worth it to him I guess just to eliminate the problem.
If he wanted to just eliminate the problem, they would have cut Orton from the start of the issue. Instead, they kept him on the roster despite being a camp no show.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Word was Orton was going to show up so as not to forfeit his signing bonus and that is when they cut him, iirc they did it when he showed up to get his playbook.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
This is the start of the game day chatter thread? This bullshit about Romo/Orton? Who gives a shit?

And this thread was started way too early this morning. Might be a problem.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If he wanted to just eliminate the problem, they would have cut Orton from the start of the issue. Instead, they kept him on the roster despite being a camp no show.
Could be but if Orton was cut the media flak would have been relentless and Jones would have looked bad for it. Jones likes to buy his way out of things to keep facts from hitting the news. This may not be the case but it wouldn't surprise me. Jones doesn't always take a conventional approach.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Rappaport on NFL Gameday just said the Cowboys have offered a 4 year contract to Murray. No numbers reported, but said it was more than any FA RB got this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the start of the game day chatter thread? This bullshit about Romo/Orton? Who gives a shit?

And this thread was started way too early this morning. Might be a problem.
Yep. One embarrassing loss coming up.

Thanks, assholes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rappaport on NFL Gameday just said the Cowboys have offered a 4 year contract to Murray. No numbers reported, but said it was more than any FA RB got this year.
That last line is key. The FA RBs got crap this year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If they do this then use him correctly by supplementing his workioad when possible. It better to have him 100% for 75% of the time than 75% for 100% of the time.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This game is a trap game. Will need something odd to win, like a Harris punt return.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This game is a trap game. Will need something odd to win, like a Harris punt return.
I don't think so. The name 'JJ Watt' has too many people scared. He's only one guy, and the rest of them with him are not that good.

If we stick with running the ball (right at Watt, preferably) and don't try to get cute, we should control this game relatively easy. 31-17.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think so. The name 'JJ Watt' has too many people scared. He's only one guy, and the rest of them with him are not that good.

If we stick with running the ball (right at Watt, preferably) and don't try to get cute, we should control this game relatively easy. 31-17.
Actually, I am not worried about Watt like he's gonna rape us.

I just think that the Cowboys are executing too well and are avoiding the self inflicted penalties and mistakes. We are so very overdue for that crap.

Not that I believe they can kick our asses, I think they can keep it close and steal it with a FG or something late.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Andre Johnson expected to play for Texans

Posted by Josh Alper on October 5, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT

The Texans had injury concerns about running back Arian Foster and wide receiver Andre Johnson this week, but it looks like things have broken the right way for both players.

Ed Werder of ESPN reports that both veteran Texans are expected to be in the lineup against the Cowboys on Sunday afternoon.

Early in the week, Foster appeared to be the closer of the two calls. He missed Week Three because of a hamstring injury and returned to the lineup last week, but he stopped well short of making any guarantees about how things would look on Sunday. The team wound up listing him as probable on Friday, though, so things progressed well for the running back.

Johnson wound up listed as questionable after injuring his ankle against Buffalo and missing two of three practices during the week. Johnson said after the Buffalo game that he thought he would be fine, however, and that appears to be the way things have worked out.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I haven't wanted the Cowboys to win a game this badly since we went to New York to open the season in 2012.

Living in this city, I simply can't fathom the nonsense I'll have to deal with if they lose.

Please, Cowboys, win this game.

:skurred

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Actually, I am not worried about Watt like he's gonna rape us.

I just think that the Cowboys are executing too well and are avoiding the self inflicted penalties and mistakes. We are so very overdue for that crap.

Not that I believe they can kick our asses, I think they can keep it close and steal it with a FG or something late.
That's my thinking too.

On paper, NoDak is right - this should be a comfortable win. But I can't help but feel like we're due for sloppiness and/or stupidity.

We're playing too well and everything we've done makes sense. That can't possibly continue, can it?

If this is a repeat of the 2009 season, then this good streak will continue and we beat the Texans by 14 today.

Top Bottom