Francescutti: With Murray gone, Irvin Worried If "Whole Ship Is Going To Explode"

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
With DeMarco Murray gone, Michael Irvin worried if ‘ ‘whole ship is going to explode’ for Cowboys

Mark Francescutti Follow @mfrances100 Email mfrancescutti@dallasnews.com

Published: March 14, 2015 9:27 pm

Michael Irvin is still in mourning after the Cowboys did not re-sign running back DeMarco Murray.

The Dallas Hall of Famer said Saturday night at UFC 185 he wished “DeMarco well.”

Irvin sat seats away from Murray at American Airlines Center for the fights. Murray was unavailable for interviews. When Irvin was shown on the arena’s big monitor, the crowd chanted “Eagles suck!”

Murray signed a five-year, $40 million deal with the Philadelphia Eagles, a move Irvin didn’t like.

“He did everything he could do,” Irvin said.

“The new Dallas Cowboys, everyone says they’re not wasting money,” Irvin said. “Well when you have a winning formula and you keep a winning formula, that’s not wasting money.”

When asked if the Cowboys should draft a running back in the first round of the NFL draft, Irvin said, “It doesn’t make a difference, because that guy is not going to have the credibility of the league’s leading rusher.”

Had they signed Murray, Irvin said the first priority of defending teams is to stop the run.

“Now, we don’t know,” Irvin said. “Now, the first priority could be to stop Dez Bryant. And then (opponents) double team Dez in his contract year.”

The Cowboys placed the franchise tag on Bryant, preventing him from hitting the free-agent market for one more season and guaranteeing him $12.82 million for 2015 as the sides continue to work on a long-term contract.

Irvin said Murray was Dez Bryant’s best friend and told Bryant to calm down, he was going to get paid. Now, Irvin said Murray is gone and he’s worried the “whole ship is going to explode.”

D

Deuce

I've never wanted to tell Irvin to STFU more in a one week span than now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He homered out hard for this team last year. To see it torn apart and the team doing little but counting cap dollars, it is hard to blame him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He homered out hard for this team last year. To see it torn apart and the team doing little but counting cap dollars, it is hard to blame him.
Yep. You won't find a more loyal Cowboys supporter anywhere than michael Irvin. Of the tripletts, he is the only one who has not taken any opportunity to take a shot at the organization or team.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Same. I really believes he is helping. But he absolutely is not.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Same. I really believes he is helping. But he absolutely is not.
Said it when he was campaigning for Murray, he's not helping. That doubt he is showing is probably creeping into that locker room as we speak.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Michael grew up professionally in a world where the stars got paid and didn't leave.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Said it when he was campaigning for Murray, he's not helping. That doubt he is showing is probably creeping into that locker room as we speak.
I would imagine quite a few of the players idolize him, so yeah, it's destructive what he's doing.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Irvin needs to STFU.

I too am worried about what exactly we're going to do to improve the team, and it certainly doesn't look promising right now with the lack of activity, let's wait till OTA's before we start making claims about this being the Titanic and all.

His comments will do nothing but hurt the team and will cause some players to raise some eyebrows. Jerry needs to call him and tell him to shut up because his comments are only going to have a negative effect on the locker room, and I'm sure that's not what he wants.

STFU, Mike.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would imagine quite a few of the players idolize him, so yeah, it's destructive what he's doing.
Bryant we know, does.

I am pretty certain that unless the Cowboys do something drastic in the talent department to offset the talent losses, all of this "process" buy-in that people had will be long gone once they lose a few games. Bryant in particular is a guy they feed off.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, you can't ask for Irvin to be passionate about your team and then not react when the core is broken.

Bottom line is they need to start as if they are coming off an 8-8 season, just like they did last year.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I wonder if Michael actually realizes that it was all of those bloated contracts that led to the demise of the Cowboys in the late '90's?

D

Deuce

Michael grew up professionally in a world where the stars got paid and didn't leave.
Ya, but he's been around the league for long enough with ESPN and NFLN to know how the business has changed. But his problem is he wants to remain bff's with the players and so he think he's helping by speaking out. In reality, he sounds stupid and it's counterproductive to the teams goals.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Irvin doesn't realize journalistic integrity dictates that he divorce himself from his inner homer. Sports Journalism 101.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Irvin doesn't realize journalistic integrity dictates that he divorce himself from his inner homer. Sports Journalism 101.
Irvin isn't a journalist. He's a TV personality, hired for his past playing experience and outspoken manner. There's a big difference.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Damn, people were eating up Irvin's shit at the end of last year.

Now, he has to have journalistic integrity?

Please.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I love how everybody acts like Murray's been tearing it up since we drafted him. His previous best season was <1200 yards. I never wanted to resign him. Does it create a hole? Well, sure. But I will bet you he doesn't make it to 1200 yards next season nor will he be healthy for every game.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I love how everybody acts like Murray's been tearing it up since we drafted him. His previous best season was <1200 yards. I never wanted to resign him. Does it create a hole? Well, sure. But I will bet you he doesn't make it to 1200 yards next season nor will he be healthy for every game.
Maybe not but he has a whole new incentive this season to prove a point. Namely that the Dallas organization should have kept him. No one can control injuries but I wouldn't discount his motivation and incentive to play this season.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im really curious to see how it goes for him this season. I think youre right, he very well could get hurt. The Eagles line is not the Dallas line. Murray looked pretty average prior to last year, when he wasn't injured.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Im really curious to see how it goes for him this season. I think youre right, he very well could get hurt. The Eagles line is not the Dallas line. Murray looked pretty average prior to last year, when he wasn't injured.
I don't know how you can say he looked average at any time. His rushing average has always been above 4 yards a carry and most of the time above 5. Yes he was injured for portions of his career in Dallas but with his rushing, blocking and receiving, i think he would be considered above average.

Top Bottom