Watkins: Tyrone Crawford pushing to become a starter

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tyrone Crawford pushing to become a starter
May, 20, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Cowboys' projected starting defensive line is Anthony Spencer, Jason Hatcher, Jay Ratliff and DeMarcus Ware.

Three of the four starters -- Hatcher, Ratliff and Ware -- are in their 30s, and Spencer and Hatcher are entering the final year of their contracts. At some point, the Cowboys will have to get younger or give Hatcher and/or Spencer a new contract.

One projected future starter is defensive end/tackle Tyrone Crawford, a third-round pick in 2012.

Crawford has a chance to become a starter -- maybe not this year, but in the future -- given the contract and age status of the defensive line.

"For me and every single guy on the defensive line, they will tell me and even the vets like Hatch and Rat, go into every year trying to be a starter," Crawford said. "That's what I do every year, even if I don't get the starting spot. I'm playing like a starter when I'm on second string. We all have big roles. If we can fill those roles this year like we're starters (playing) on the second string, we might have one of the best defensive line in the NFL."

Crawford was drafted as a defensive end, but in this new 4-3 scheme, defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is asking him to play end and tackle. Crawford said everybody on the defensive line has to know all the spots.

"With this defense, there's not really a challenge not knowing your assignment," Crawford said. "You pretty much have to know everybody's assignment."

And Crawford likes what defensive line coach Rod Marinelli is doing with the defensive line. He's taken the sign down outside the defensive line room and changed it from defensive linemen to "rushmen."

"I like what were doing with it," Crawford said. "We don't have a D-line room anymore. We're all rushmen. We're all fast guys."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerry isn't having a competition where Crawford pushes Spencer. Gotta keep Spencer's head clear and focused. Worries about one's job don't jibe at Cowboys Country Club.

Crawford can't start, the starters are already decided.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Jerry isn't having a competition where Crawford pushes Spencer. Gotta keep Spencer's head clear and focused. Worries about one's job don't jibe at Cowboys Country Club.

Crawford can't start, the starters are already decided.
Are you saying none of them will miss a start due to injury? Crawford and Lissemore will probably both start games this year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Are you saying none of them will miss a start due to injury? Crawford and Lissemore will probably both start games this year.
I'm being sarcastic. Crawford should start at his natural LDE position, but he won't. Crawford should start, Spencer should be gone, and better free agents should be at DT and on the OL.

But not in Jerry's world, where it's OK to spend 10 million on one player because he perceives Crawford as not being ready yet when it's his own fault there's no depth since he hadn't drafted a single DL since Hatcher in 2006.

Even worse, Jerry won't hear of Crawford starting over Spencer if both are healthy. In Jerry's mind Spencer's 10 mil makes him the starter, period.

Top Bottom