Watkins: Rolando McClain with solid effort

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rolando McClain with solid effort
September, 29, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Last week, Rolando McClain appeared doubtful for Sunday night’s game against the New Orleans Saints.

The Dallas Cowboys linebacker was battling a groin injury and hadn’t practiced until Friday, and when he did step onto the field, it was in limited fashion. Sunday night, McClain was a force, again, for a Cowboys’ defense that was part of a strong effort in a 38-17 victory.

"I just had to work out with the trainers before the game and I felt OK," said McClain, who forced a fumble and recorded two tackles.

McClain didn’t start the game because the Cowboys were in the nickel defense, but he was in on the base package at middle linebacker.

"I need them," McClain said. "I need to be on the field. They want me on the field, we need everybody. It’s not taking one, it’s taking everybody to finish the game. It was a great team win, it’s not just me, it’s everybody."

Through four weeks, McClain, who has 17 total tackles, 14 solo, has set the tone with his violent tackles and aggressive play.

The Cowboys have missed several players because of injuries to linebacker Justin Durant, defensive end Anthony Spencer and defensive tackle Henry Melton.

All three, along with McClain, participated in Sunday’s victory.

The Cowboys needed them to erase what happened in last season’s loss to the Saints. The Cowboys allowed 625 yards in a 49-17 loss in New Orleans. The return meeting was in Arlington, and the Cowboys were aggressive to the ball and were able to contain quarterback Drew Brees and the Saints' high-powered offense.

"It was physical," McClain said of Sunday’s win. "I wasn’t here last year, but we watched the tape from the game and it was embarrassing and everybody knew that. As a defense, we just want to go out and play better."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have to admit, this guy has been more useful than I ever thought.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I have to admit, this guy has been more useful than I ever thought.
No doubt. I definitely had my doubts. Not in his ability, but more to him remaining stable and not quitting.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
All things considered, I definitely didn't expect him to play as well as he has. He's definitely been a steal. As long as he can keep his head on straight, he should be in Dallas for awhile.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
This is why I'll never argue against giving up a conditional 6th for a still young guy with that kind of talent. Figured this loon was a bit more of a longshot than most, but he's been pretty damn good. Can't assume he's going to keep it together all season, but he seems pretty focused and driven right now so maybe he will. He's definitely a guy you notice on that defense. Makes a big difference.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This is why I'll never argue against giving up a conditional 6th for a still young guy with that kind of talent.
Exactly right. Especially when you consider the conditional part.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The team is very different with him in the lineup. It's too bad we have to depend on him now.

Top Bottom