Report: Cowboys reach deal with LB Jasper Brinkley

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Report: Cowboys reach deal with LB Jasper Brinkley

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 13, 2015, 1:49 AM EDT

After losing two key linebackers early in free agency, the Cowboys are adding one with starting experience.

Dallas has agreed to terms with Vikings linebacker Jasper Brinkley on a two-year contract, ESPNDallas.com’s Todd Archer reported.

Brinkley (6-1, 252) started 11-of-16 games in 2014 for Minnesota, notching 74 tackles. The 29-year-old Brinkley played middle linebacker in the Vikings’ 4-3 scheme and could project to the same spot in Dallas, though he also has the bulk to play on the strong side if needed.

The Cowboys have seen outside linebackers Justin Durant (Atlanta) and Bruce Carter (Tampa Bay) depart at the outset of the new league year. However, middle linebacker Sean Lee will return after missing last season with an ACL tear, which will be a boon for a Dallas defense that greatly exceeded expectations in 2014.

Rolando McClain, who played well in place of Lee, is an unrestricted free agent.

--

So is this just depth or are they not going to sign McClain?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Better be for depth because if he is a starter, our defense will regress.

D

Deuce

I remember most on this board loved him in the draft...when we ran the 3-4. :unsure

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He's similar to McClain in that he's a thumper against the run who can play in the middle, so in that regard I'm hoping he's just insurance for McClain in case he goes crazy or burns down another house, not that he's intended to replace him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He's similar to McClain in that he's a thumper against the run who can play in the middle, so in that regard I'm hoping he's just insurance for McClain in case he goes crazy or burns down another house, not that he's intended to replace him.
I'm banking on McClain at this point, and your reasoning fits.

Top Bottom