Dallas Cowboys free-agent focus

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dallas Cowboys free-agent focus: Trent Cole

Jeffrey Kahn - 9 hours ago

Now on the market, could the Cowboys be in for this defensive end's services? Bob Sturm of the Dallas Morning News believes the Cowboys should go after Cole, but for the right price:

"At the right price, I would definitely kick the tires on Trent Cole. I have always admired his motor and his pass rush chops, but he is 32 (his first year was 2005 – just like DeMarcus Ware). The difference between him and Ware, of course, is the deal. If Cole would come for a small amount of money, I would definitely be on board. But, I doubt he is in the Cowboys price range. Getting him back in a 4-3 would be appealing, too."

At 32-years of age, Cole is coming off a season in which he collected 6.5 sacks. He also made the switch from defensive end to outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense last season for Philadelphia which wasn't his best fit.

With the Cowboys running a 4-3, defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli could help revitalize the end of Cole's career. He has a "head-hunter" type mentality which would be welcomed with open arms in Dallas.

With Cole adding to an already interesting defensive ends free-agent class, it makes sense for the Cowboys to at least give his agent a call. Again, price will be key.

vince

Not So New Member
I'd rather go get Greg Hardy even with the 2-4 game suspension than a 32 year old declining DE.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
The question is who is willing to sign for the right price

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather go get Greg Hardy even with the 2-4 game suspension than a 32 year old declining DE.
If you ignore the contracts the players get I totally agree. The real question is what type of a deal will Hardy sign. No question he is the better player. Are you willing to go 6 years at 100 million for Greg Hardy? Trent Cole obviously won't get that. And maybe Greg Hardy won't either. He would have prior to sitting out a year. Now I don't know.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If you ignore the contracts the players get I totally agree. The real question is what type of a deal will Hardy sign. No question he is the better player. Are you willing to go 6 years at 100 million for Greg Hardy? Trent Cole obviously won't get that. And maybe Greg Hardy won't either. He would have prior to sitting out a year. Now I don't know.
I don't think anyone is giving 100 million to a guy who sat a year and missed serious jail time by a miracle.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hardy's suspension might drop his asking price, but it's still going to be a huge deal.

If we're going to spend that, let's get Suh.

Interior pressure makes it harder for the QB to step up or escape outside pressure. With Suh in the middle, guys like Mincy, Crawford, and Lawrence get instantly better-- not to mention Sean Lee finally gets protected.

And I don't mind paying cornerstone money for a DT of that caliber.

dallen

Senior Tech
Cole's a guy you get cheap to plug a hole while you rebuild in the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think anyone is giving 100 million to a guy who sat a year and missed serious jail time by a miracle.
I agree, I think his price will be lower then that. I just don't know how much lower. I don't think he's going to sign for a prove it deal either. I'd be insanely happy if we signed someone like Hardy though. He has legit LE size, is a double digit sack guy and is only 26 years old. He'd thrive in this defense too! Plus I think Jerry is actually capable of putting the structure in place to help keep him out of trouble.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yes. He rotates with Lawrence and is no threat to his position long term. I don't know how cheap he'll come for, but a 3 year 12 million contract would be appropriate.

I agree, I think his price will be lower then that. I just don't know how much lower. I don't think he's going to sign for a prove it deal either. I'd be insanely happy if we signed someone like Hardy though. He has legit LE size, is a double digit sack guy and is only 26 years old. He'd thrive in this defense too! Plus I think Jerry is actually capable of putting the structure in place to help keep him out of trouble.
So then why not get Suh?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Suh = 100 mill + 6-8 year contract
Hardy = 60 mill 6-8 y
Cole = 12 mill 2-4 y

I think people are comparing apples, oranges and pears here...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is also a guy who can still trip over his own dick and get six-eight sacks a year.

Mincey did that last year and people are hailing him as some sort of effing steal.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'd go Cole over Orakpo he brings the same kind of nasty that McClain does, the D line needs some of that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cost.

And Hardy is younger and fits a bigger need on this team.
Hardy is also the only one available now.

But I disagree he fills a bigger need than Suh. Suh makes every other pass rusher better, stuffs the run better than anyone we have, and protects Sean Lee.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

But I disagree he fills a bigger need than Suh. Suh makes every other pass rusher better, stuffs the run better than anyone we have, and protects Sean Lee.
Suh is a better player, that's what you're referring to.

Hardy fits a position that is a bigger need. That's pass rushing DE. We at least have an interior guy with some rushing ability in Crawford. Which is basically the spot Suh would play in our defense. Now Suh is obviously a huge upgrade but that's not the point. We have no DE currently who is capable of sniffing 10 sacks. Our best hope on the current roster is Lawrence. He looked good in the playoffs but I'm certainly not going to jump the gun on him just yet. He still had 0 regular season sacks last year.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

Suh is indeed the superior player, but if we're in a position where we can sign an elite pass rusher and (potentially) a 1-technique DT on the cheap in free agency, that would trump spending $114M on Suh.

Top Bottom