Archer: Any fits for Cowboys in recent cuts?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Any fits for Cowboys in recent cuts?

March, 5, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys signed Keith Rivers on Wednesday, a few of you asked how they were able to get a deal done with a player before free agency began.

Because Rivers was cut Feb. 17 by the Buffalo Bills, he was able to sign elsewhere before the beginning of the free-agency period, which starts next Tuesday.

There are more than a few players in that category who might be of interest to the Cowboys.

Defensive end Trent Cole: Yes, I called him a defensive end even if he played outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme the last two years with the Philadelphia Eagles. He turns 32 in October, but he has been durable and productive. He has 14.5 sacks the last two years and has four double-digit sack seasons. He is a bridge player to where the Cowboys can cover themselves for a year or two as they look to rebuild the line in the draft. If he’s looking for some good coin, then I think the Cowboys pass, but he would fill a need and give the Cowboys another pretty good pass-rusher to go with Jeremy Mincey and DeMarcus Lawrence.

Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork: He would also be a bridge player and he made a lot of money last season and I’d think he will be looking for some good coin this year. He is massive, which the Cowboys really don’t have on their line. But is he a scheme fit? He’s played mostly 3-4 nose tackle but the New England Patriots play multiple fronts so I don’t think it would be a difficult transition. He played in every game last season while coming back from a torn Achilles. He would be a great locker room presence as well.

Running back Reggie Bush: This is only an option if the Cowboys are unable to keep DeMarco Murray. In my view the Cowboys need to add two running backs if they lose Murray. Bush just turned 30 and is coming off a down year in Detroit. But in his one year in Detroit with Scott Linehan he flourished with 1,006 rushing yards and 54 catches for 506 yards. He wouldn’t be an every-down back by any stretch but he could be a good fit in the passing game and handle 8-10 carries a game. Again, this would only be an option if Murray goes.

Linebacker A.J. Hawk: He was a mainstay for the Green Bay Packers for years but he was definitely slowing down. The Cowboys have tried the veteran deal before with Keith Brooking and Zach Thomas with some success. The Cowboys just added Keith Rivers and want to keep Justin Durant, so this doesn’t seem like a realistic option at all.

Defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka: The longtime New York Giants defensive end/outside linebacker has been the definition of solid. He has slowed down, missed five games last season and turns 32 next week but this would be on a one-year deal at best for the Cowboys. He does not have the same pass-rush ability as Cole. If they were looking at this type of player, thenAnthony Spencer would be a better fit.

dallen

Senior Tech
Ayuh to the first 2. Feh to the rest

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I'm liking the idea of: Lawrence, Wilfork, Crawford, and Odighizuwa

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ayuh to the first 2. Feh to the rest
It would be great. This young and growing team could use but not depend on their leadership, experience, and guts.

I don't know if either will come in at a reasonable price though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We will not sign any of these guys. They don't fit the reclamation project thing we got going on now.

dallen

Senior Tech
We will not sign any of these guys. They don't fit the reclamation project thing we got going on now.
I agree. Wilfork is the kind of veteran you want to bring in though. He's still performing at a high level. Not only does he not get in trouble off the field, he is a legit hero for saving that lady's life a few weeks back. He knows how to win, and is looked at as a team leader And he fills a huge need. Jerry is "smart" now though so we will bring in some retread and hope.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Joe Mays just got cut...I could see him fitting in.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
LB depth was an issue last year...unless you are a big Cam Lawrence fan.
You can find another Cam Lawrence after the draft. Why the veteran salary to Mays?

Carp

DCC 4Life
You can find another Cam Lawrence after the draft. Why the veteran salary to Mays?
This thread is about fits...he could fit in this scheme here...which is what I said in my original post.

If we draft a rookie, fine.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This thread is about fits...he could fit in this scheme here...which is what I said in my original post.
He's a two down LB who can't cover, has never played in a Tampa-2 scheme and has had his best seasons in a 3-4. Great point.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He's a two down LB who can't cover, has never played in a Tampa-2 scheme and has had his best seasons in a 3-4. Great point.
:lol

Angry.

He played in Philly and Denver...both played 4-3 defenses at the time. Thanks for the lesson though.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Cole would be the only one I'd be interested in. He's been around for awhile but will only be 32 this year. Not even sure why AJ Hawk is on that list other than being a former first rounder. GB fans hate that guy and many were having a meltdown when he was put on the field in the final minutes vs. Seattle.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

Angry.

He played in Philly and Denver...both played 4-3 defenses at the time. Thanks for the lesson though.

Houston did not. That was under Fat Wade. Hell of a scheme fit there. Lots and lots of translation to the Tampa 2. Whotta fit.

Bring his five time cut ass on.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Houston did not. That was under Fat Wade. Hell of a scheme fit there. Lots and lots of translation to the Tampa 2. Whotta fit.

Bring his five time cut ass on.
Thanks.

Top Bottom