Dallas Cowboys free-agent focus: Greg Hardy

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dallas Cowboys free-agent focus: Greg Hardy
Jeffrey Kahn - 24 hours ago

The Dallas Cowboys head into free agency with a pass-rushing need and their focus could shift to defensive end Greg Hardy.

Former pass-rushing great Jason Taylor believes the Cowboys would be a good landing spot for Hardy, via Twitter:

Hardy, 26, missed nearly the entirety of the 2014 season due to a domestic violence incident. The former Carolina Panther is currently seeking reinstatement into the league, and there's a high probability that he'll accomplish that.

Is Hardy a player the Cowboys would really want to pursue this offseason?

Dallas Morning News staff writer covering the Cowboys John Machota believes owner/GM Jerry Jones would be open to signing Hardy:

"There are some serious red flags there. But if he's willing to give the Cowboys a team-friendly deal, I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry Jones gave him a shot. Not sure there's anyone in the NFL more sympathetic than Jerry Jones when it comes to giving guys second chances."

The keyword: "team-friendly deal." The Cowboys are wanting to spend the appropriate amount of money on free agents this summer and signing bargain pass rushers will most likely be part of the plan.

As for why Hardy would be a nice fit? Before his incident, Hardy collected 15 sacks in 2013 and 11 in 2012. He was sent to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl in 2013 and made second team All-Pro that year.

Hardy's a serious workhorse and goes hard for all three downs, four if necessary. Watch his highlights in the video embedded above. At 6-4, 275 lbs., Hardy gives tackles difficulty with his impressive footwork and imposing strength. And, he's still on the rise as a 26-year old in the NFL.

The numbers don't lie for Hardy, but the price may be the boiling point. Hardy's a monster and a risk the Cowboys should take, even if the team has to spend a little more based on the defensive end market in free agency.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys a team-friendly deal,
I can already see this as the Cowboys mantra this off season.

I'm not looking to sign a bunch of guys but we need to do something in free agency. This team is actually close. The problem is you aren't going to be able to rebuild the entire defense in the draft. If you wait a year or two for the D-lineman we draft to develop, the window with Romo may have closed.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If we could land Hardy I'd homer out like crazy. A guy like that was exactly what we needed to make a play against Rodgers in the playoffs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The NFL did rule yesterday he can sign a contract while on the Goodell shit list. Even if he gets popped with a 2-4 game suspension, he's good enough to be worth it. He also might be a little cheaper.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The NFL did rule yesterday he can sign a contract while on the Goodell shit list. Even if he gets popped with a 2-4 game suspension, he's good enough to be worth it. He also might be a little cheaper.
I don't know how they even make a 2-4 game suspension stick after Rice and Peterson got overturned. I think he pleads to the NFL equivalent of time served.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I wouldbe all in for Hardy and Suh. Two players entering their primes that would together transform this defense and make the team among the favorites. And it would allow them to BPA the draft.

Won't happen, but I'd like to see it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The NFL is fucking him over big time...yeah he can sign, but teams can definitely lose this as leverage to get him for cheaper. Teams should know from the get go how many games he will miss.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I'm 100% sure Suh isn't in the equation, but Hardy would have me homering out all by himself

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Suh wants paid more than JJ Watt. Fuck that.
Watt actually signed a pretty reasonable contract for the caliber of player that he is. Plus the nature of contracts is that they continually get bigger every year. So eventually a lesser player then Watt is going to sign a bigger contract then Watt. Just the nature of the business.

I agree though. I love Suh, but I don't really want to plug a 100+ mil dollar deal into a 28 year old crazy person.

Top Bottom