Archer: Cowboys sign LB Keith Rivers

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have multiple linebacker needs but filled one of them by signing Keith Rivers to a one-year deal on Wednesday.

Rivers was cut by the Buffalo Bills on Feb. 17 after signing a two-year deal worth $5 million with the club in 2014. He started three games last season and played in 12 but recorded just 16 tackles as his playing time decreased dramatically late in the year.

The Cowboys have three free-agent linebackers in Rolando McClain, Justin Durant and Bruce Carter. While the signing does not preclude any from coming back it might affect Carter the most because Rivers is a strong-side linebacker.

The Cowboys have had discussions with the agents for McClain and Durant about returning but both could test the market when it opens next week

Rivers, who turns 29 in May, was a first-round pick of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2008 and spent two years with the New York Giants (2012-13) before joining the Bills. For his career he has 291 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
he is nice depth but that is all. If anyone gets the most out of their defensive players its definitely Marinelli though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:zzz

There is a reason a once top draft choice like Rivers bounces around the league every season. I would be surprised if he makes it out of camp, honestly.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Feh.

Maybe we know Carter is gone and are taking a shot in the dark on an ultra athletic, former top pick on the off chance that he can give us a little of what Carter gave us.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Considering the health issues at LB I like this kind of low end gamble on a vet.

townsend

Banned
If Rolando McClain can turn into a star in Marinelli's defense I'm not gonna discount any JAG we pick up. Who knows maybe he'll be making huge plays when all of our LBers are on IR.

Top Bottom