Machota - Stephen Jones: Cowboys Will Be 'Efficient' In Free Agency

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones: Cowboys will be ‘efficient’ in free agency

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com

Published: March 3, 2015 7:25 pm

During a Tuesday radio interview, Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones was asked if the franchise will be active in free agency.

Dallas isn’t expected to break the bank for any of the market’s big names. However, the Cowboys will be searching for affordable options with some upside.

That plan worked well last year when they signed defensive end Jeremy Mincey to a two-year, $4.5 million contract. Mincey went on to record a team-high six sacks during the regular season and added two more during the playoffs.

“I don’t know if active is a good word,” Jones said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “I think active can get you in trouble in free agency. I think you have to be efficient and look for your values, and you can do good things.

“We did it last year with a player like Mincey where we got a lot of great value out of him. But at the same time, we’ve been in situations where you have to pay too much for players. You got to be very careful there. We’re certainly going to be that way. We’re going to look to be efficient. If that proves to be productive then that would be good.”

Speaking of free agency, Jones also discussed trying to bring back DeMarco Murray. The NFL’s leading rusher is scheduled to test the market beginning March 10.

“It’s one of those situations where you get down to the wire like this and free agency is right around the corner, it’s tough for a player not to want to look and see what his options may be,” Jones said. “At the same time, he understands the business of football that we can only do so much at each position. We’ve got to, at the end of the day, decide how we want to divide up the pie. Of course, we certainly want to give a nice piece of it to DeMarco.

“But we’ll just see how that works out. We really feel like we have a great relationship with DeMarco and his agent Bill Johnson. Certainly no guarantees, no promises that he’s going to bring offers back to us. But at the end of the day, I do think he wants to stay in Dallas. I know he knows we want him here. Hopefully we’ll have good communication as we move forward.”

cmd34

Brand New Member
Come on down 2015 version of Mackenzy Bernadeau.

Two things sad in that article. One, the idea that Mincey was our top free agent addition last year. Two, the term "team-high six sacks."

I get being efficient and smart but I think looking for the Mincey's and Nate Livings of the world is lazy and signing no-name back-up's like Bernadeau is trying to be cute. Go out and get better.

cmd34

Brand New Member
If there was ever a season to spend it is this one. This team was legitimately close to being a Super Bowl team and was arguably one of the 4 best teams in the league ( and that's with Jason Garrett as a head coach!). We're losing Murray who needs to be replaced with a comparable talent. We need at least 4 new starters on defense. Two of those need to come from free agency.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd rather sign Graham. I'm not big on signing a guy as old as Cole. Although I'd rather sign Cole then to sign no one or simply sign Spencer.
Graham is looking for a four-year deal close to $30 million, including $20 million guaranteed. Sorry ain't happening in Dallas.

One of the things that we are adverse to is signing veterans, unless dirt cheap. A player like Cole, who I would really like to have, does not fit that.

The organizational philosophy has flipped. A few years ago, we were paying everyone. Now we are going to get picked apart because we can't or won't pay. We are just not in a position to have a comfortable medium.

All in all, I just don't want another 2012 where we go "all in" and end up getting Brandon Carr'ed again.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd rather sign Graham. I'm not big on signing a guy as old as Cole. Although I'd rather sign Cole then to sign no one or simply sign Spencer.
Graham is going to demand a stupid contract. Cole would be a step up from Spencer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If there was ever a season to spend it is this one. This team was legitimately close to being a Super Bowl team and was arguably one of the 4 best teams in the league ( and that's with Jason Garrett as a head coach!). We're losing Murray who needs to be replaced with a comparable talent. We need at least 4 new starters on defense. Two of those need to come from free agency.
Yep, I agree. I'm not normally a huge fan of big spending on just a few players in FA, but I think it works for us this year. It also would really free us up in the draft, as well. I will say this, and my fingers are burning as I type this, but I really feel like if we handle the offseason well this year..... well, this year... could be our year to win it all.

That's right, [MENTION=3]boozeman[/MENTION], I'm starting to homer already. Suck it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Chemistry made it happen for Dallas in 2014. Dallas has to start over and see if they can reclaim that chemistry. Usually that's hard to do when you buy a crap ton of free agents.

Schedule is harder and Romo is older.

Missing Key Players
- DeMarco Murray [Draft, maybe re-sign]
- Rolando McClain [Lee]
- Doug Free [Draft, FA, maybe Martin]

Missing Depth and Contributing Players
- Jeremy Parnell [Draft, Cheap FA]
- Bruce Carter [Rivers, re-sign?, Cheap FA]
- Brandon Carr [Paycut?, Cheap FA]
- Henry Melton [Draft]
- Sterling Moore [Draft]

New Additions
- Demarcus Lawrence
- Sean Lee

Seems like we're asking alot from the draft. I'd like to see at least one solid free agent signing addressing one of RT, LB, DL, and/or the Secondary.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Graham is going to demand a stupid contract. Cole would be a step up from Spencer.
Do you think he will get a stupid contract though? That's all that really matters.

He won't get more then Hardy.

He won't get more then Hughes.

He won't get more then McPhee (Although I like him better)

I'd be interested in Sheard, Graham and Adrian Clayborn. If one of them goes for big money, then so be it. Move on to the next. Those 3 guys represent young players that I think have some legitimate talent, who when paired with Marinelli and the chance to start I think could be something. I'd rather guys like that then a 32 year old DE on his last legs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd be interested in Sheard, Graham and Adrian Clayborn.
If Cole demands big starter money he can go suck a cock. I'm thinking Cole is a situational pass rusher to rotate in with Lawrence while DLaw continues to improve.

I like Sheard and Graham, but they are Brandon Carr-- good, not elite-- and each will demand more money than they are worth.

The one note might be Sheard may cost less based on his more recent stats, but coming back to a 4-3 and paired with Marinelli who knows he may much more productive. Thing is if you pay Sheard, what do you do with Lawrence? They play the same position with no flex in this system. Neither is a backup.

Clayborn may as well change his name to Claymore, as in injury land-mine. I don't pay anyone who only plays every other year. We're already stuck with that guy in Sean Lee.

As for Hardy, he's going to make some team (maybe Philadelphia) break the bank and will be cut after two years. No thanks.

That leaves Graham, actually might be a fit on the strong side, though he's short for a LDE. If he can be had for the right price, I think about it.

I don't know about any of them as building-block type players, which brings me back to Trent Cole-- experienced, less expensive, and better in a pinch than Anthony Spencer.

Top Bottom