Report: Cowboys to use franchise tag on Dez Bryant

p1_

DCC 4Life
Report: Cowboys to use franchise tag on Dez Bryant

by Shawn Krest | CBSSports.com

Sat, 28 Feb 2015 5:15 PM ET

The Cowboys will use the franchise tag on WR Dez Bryant on Monday, according to a report by Fox Sports Southwest.

The team has been trying to negotiate a long-term contract with Bryant, a free-agent to be. If a deal can't be made by Monday's franchise tag deadline, the Cowboys will use the tag to keep Bryant a Cowboy.

"I still think that (it) would be a stretch to think that we would have something done by Monday and beat the franchise-tag deadline," Cowboys VP Stephen Jones told Fox. "Looks like we're eyeing a franchise tag on Dez, but certainly won't stop us from working hard to get a long-term deal. ... We just don't want to lose his rights."

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Tagging Dez may be the first step to get a deal done with Murray.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I have a feeling he plays under the tag this year. I think he wants Megatron money and the organization's just not going to give it to him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tagging Dez may be the first step to get a deal done with Murray.
Doesn't make sense. 13 mill will count against the cap for Dez this year, and it most likely would have counted less had they come to an agreement. This wasn't for Murray.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I still think a deal gets done before camp, and the Cowboys will have to up the guaranteed money.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Any idea how much he'll get?

Cotton

Staff member
Dez Bryant’s agent: Would NFL team send first-round picks to Cowboys for him?

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com
Published: March 2, 2015 12:05 pm

With Dez Bryant scheduled to receive the franchise tag from the Dallas Cowboys, his agent, Tom Condon, went on SiriusXM NFL Radio Monday to discuss the situation.

“I think everybody anticipates that Dallas will franchise Dez,” Condon said. “That’s not a terrible thing. The franchise tag ought to be very close to $13 million. It’s a one-year deal. It becomes guaranteed for skill, injury and salary cap when the player signs it.

“If he signs the franchise tag, he’s not required to go to any of the off-season program because all of that is voluntary. The three-day mini camp is mandatory. If you miss that and you’ve already signed the tag, then you’re fined. And then you’re required to go to the beginning of training camp.

“If you don’t sign the franchise tag, you’re not required to go to anything: the off-season program, the mini-camp, and the training camp, and you can show up whenever you’d like to at the beginning of the regular season or all the way up to 10 games into the regular season. There’s a lot of different options. There’s a substantial number of moving parts.”

Condon went on to say that Bryant “understands that this is business” and both sides will continue to “see if we can get something done.”

He added: “The Cowboys have given us every indication that they don’t want to lose the player and that they value him very much.”

Condon also touched on the possibility of Bryant seeing what other offers are out there. A team would have to surrender two first-round picks to sign a player that has been given the franchise tag.

Would another team be willing to give that up to acquire Bryant?

“Dez is a special player,” Condon said. “He’s an explosive player. He’s a great competitor. He reminds me on the field an awful lot of Michael Irvin.

“He’s a special player, so if you’re picking late in the first round, let’s say you’re in the last 4-5 picks of the first round, and you know that Dez Bryant is a superstar, do you give up a very late pick in the first round this year and a very late pick in the round next year to ensure that you’re competing for the Super Bowl for the next several years? That part of it is pretty interesting.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'll take two firsts for him and send him on his merry way. It'd hurt because he's a potential all-time Cowboy in his prime, but you can do a hell of alot of damage with 4 1st rounders in 2 drafts.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'll take two firsts for him and send him on his merry way. It'd hurt because he's a potential all-time Cowboy in his prime, but you can do a hell of alot of damage with 4 1st rounders in 2 drafts.
Balanced against the money he would cost, I'd take 2 firsts or a First, Second and Third.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Hate to see him leave, but it's no contest. Anyone short of a franchise QB is not worth 2 1st's, it's a team sport after all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hate to see him leave, but it's no contest. Anyone short of a franchise QB is not worth 2 1st's, it's a team sport after all.
He is one of my favorite players and it would be really hard to see him go. The fact is though. WR's aren't that difficult to find and with the extra cap space we could go after some serious pass rushers in free agency. Then you turn around and get a new WR in the draft, a draft that is absolutely stocked with WR's.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Love Dez but for 2 firsts I wish him good luck and draft another wr.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, you won't find a bigger Dez fan than me, and I don't even blink if it's him or 2 firsts.

Top Bottom