Sabin: Cowboys seek 'right number' for Murray; but what goes into their decision?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sabin: Cowboys seek 'right number' for Murray; but what goes into their decision?

By RAINER SABIN Follow @RainerSabinDMN rsabin@dallasnews.com
Staff Writer
Published: 18 February 2015 10:47 PM
Updated: 18 February 2015 10:55 PM

INDIANAPOLIS — For the first time since he was hired for his current position, the Cowboys’ Jason Garrett stepped on the podium Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine as the coach of a winning team.

Breaking out of the .500 rut that once afflicted this franchise is no longer a topic of discussion in these parts. The Cowboys are barely a month removed from their surprising run to the divisional round of the playoffs that was highlighted by the organization’s first division title since 2009.

Shortly after it ended, Garrett received a five-year contract extension totaling more than $30 million.

It was a nice reward for a job well done.

“Jason is so solid and very, very smart and good at what he does,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “It’s critical to keep the same coach.”

But what about the same running back, DeMarco Murray? That’s a question that has dominated discussions throughout the Cowboys’ offseason, with Murray on the cusp of free agency.

The organization is approaching the decision from all angles, considering Murray’s age (27), durability, productivity, past workload, intangible qualities and the value of his position in the current landscape of the pass-heavy NFL.

“Everything comes into play,” Jones said. “There are a lot of things we have to evaluate before we make the ultimate decision as to what our number is going to be with DeMarco versus what some other’s number may be. There is no easy answer on those things, but we’ll put it all together and make a good decision.”

For the organization, and Garrett in particular, there is a lot riding on it. In 2014, the Cowboys were finally able to establish a winning formula and a discernible identity. Murray, in many ways, helped create both.

On the way to leading the league with 1,845 rushing yards, he showed grit and determination by finishing the so-called “dirty” runs and playing with a broken hand suffered in December. Murray helped the Cowboys maintain possession longer than any other team while working within the parameters of a zone-blocking scheme carried out by a top-flight blocking front.

“It was unique,” said former Cowboys offensive line coach Bill Callahan, who now holds the same position on Washington’s staff. “It was kind of a unique chemistry. Those guys love DeMarco. They love him. And DeMarco loves those guys. It was very mutual. It was a really healthy respect and chemistry that transpired, and once we started having success, it kind of steamrolled and that kind of got it going.”

Garrett, not surprisingly, doesn’t want it to stop. Earlier this month, Garrett showed up at an SMU basketball game with quarterback Tony Romo and one of the team’s 20 free agents. That man was Murray, who has said he wants to stay with Dallas.

“His impact on our football team was significant,” Garrett said. “Our ability to control the line of scrimmage, control the football, helped the other parts of our team out. He was a big part of all that. The value of being able to hand the ball to somebody 25 times a game, week in and week out, is significant. His impact was huge for our team.”

In so many words, Callahan agreed. He explained Wednesday that the Cowboys weren’t as concerned with Murray piling up yards as they were carries. They wanted to ram him into the teeth of a defense as many times as possible.

“We were 9-0 when we ran the ball over 30 attempts,” Callahan said. “That was the goal. We wanted rush attempts. That was a real philosophical point.”

The man behind it was Garrett — one of Murray’s chief advocates. On a roster that included Lance Dunbar and Joseph Randle — two rail-thin running backs — Murray was the only player capable of being tasked with that responsibility. It’s why contemplating life after Murray is difficult for Garrett — a coach who bristled at the notion that anybody could fill the veteran’s shoes in a city where NFL prospects have come looking for such an opportunity.

“I don’t like that expression, ‘Plug another back in there,’ ” Garrett said. “DeMarco Murray led the NFL in rushing by, I think, [approximately] 500 yards.

“What we’ve tried to do as an organization is to shore up the infrastructure of this football team. We’ve drafted offensive linemen three of the last four years in the first round. Those decisions have paid dividends, but having a guy like DeMarco Murray, certainly has paid dividends as well for us.”

In Garrett’s eyes, Murray was the catalyst for the team’s unexpected rise. Just as his bosses thought it was critical to keep the same coach, Garrett feels it’s imperative for the Cowboys to retain their star running back.

“But the business of the NFL is real,” Garrett said.

And with Murray, it remains unfinished.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Some people might hate it, but I think Murray stays. Sounds like he is in the family portrait with Garrett, Romo and Witten.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Some people might hate it, but I think Murray stays. Sounds like he is in the family portrait with Garrett, Romo and Witten.
I am good with it, my thing was that I just wanted some financial flexibility and thought franchising him would hinder the team. We definitely need to do a better job of managing his workload next year, to me he was slower and less explosive towards the end.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm fine with it because I don't see us giving him a mega-deal worth 8+ a year. I think Murray and his agent will be surprised when the market for him is surprisingly soft, I think most of his suitors will probably only offer around 7 a year. At that point he will probably have to decide whether he wants to take that or maybe 1 million or so less a year with us, perhaps with more guaranteed.

Of course it only takes one team to offer him 10 a year and throw everything out of whack, but I don't think that is a guarantee and I think most teams will be in that 6-7 range.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm fine with it because I don't see us giving him a mega-deal worth 8+ a year. I think Murray and his agent will be surprised when the market for him is surprisingly soft, I think most of his suitors will probably only offer around 7 a year. At that point he will probably have to decide whether he wants to take that or maybe 1 million or so less a year with us, perhaps with more guaranteed.

Of course it only takes one team to offer him 10 a year and throw everything out of whack, but I don't think that is a guarantee and I think most teams will be in that 6-7 range.
Saw the other day that there are only like 4 teams with a legit RB need, so that's going to make the market for him come down even further.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I am good with it, my thing was that I just wanted some financial flexibility and thought franchising him would hinder the team. We definitely need to do a better job of managing his workload next year, to me he was slower and less explosive towards the end.
Don't be surprised if he comes back and has the same slow down. This time about half way through the season or earlier.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Don't be surprised if he comes back and has the same slow down. This time about half way through the season or earlier.
And that's why we need to draft a RB whether we bring Murray back or not, so that we can keep his carries around 280-320 over the next 2-3 years and have a future replacement to groom. I'd prefer to wait until the 3rd or 4th if we bring him back, while I'd be open to taking a RB as high as the 1st if we don't, but if the BPA is a RB in the 2nd I might still be willing to go that route even if we bring Murray back.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I say I want his numbers cut, but I always felt better with him in the game. Much like I did with Emmitt.

D

Deuce

I say I want his numbers cut, but I always felt better with him in the game. Much like I did with Emmitt.
I wish I felt the same. While the talent level compared to the backups is night and day, I was always nervous when he carried the ball. Injuries and putting the ball on the ground have me shellshocked. It's going to take a really good year from that standpoint to make me comfortable with him, even if it only nets 1200 or so yards.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I wish I felt the same. While the talent level compared to the backups is night and day, I was always nervous when he carried the ball. Injuries and putting the ball on the ground have me shellshocked. It's going to take a really good year from that standpoint to make me comfortable with him, even if it only nets 1200 or so yards.
I get that, but for the dirty yards, yeah, wanted him out there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw the other day that there are only like 4 teams with a legit RB need, so that's going to make the market for him come down even further.
Couple that with a ridiculously deep RB class and the market is going to be pretty suppressed. I get the feeling that there will be one crazy team out there with a ton of cap space that throws a big contract at him to fill seats in the stadium.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Agreed. In order for him to be more effective late in the year, he needs much fewer carries during the year.

A true explosive alternative worthy of being a feature back on his own is what we need to pair with Murray. And please, don't anyone say that guy is a certain underwear thief already on the roster.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Agreed. In order for him to be more effective late in the year, he needs much fewer carries during the year.

A true explosive alternative worthy of being a feature back on his own is what we need to pair with Murray. And please, don't anyone say that guy is a certain underwear thief already on the roster.
Unless there are some ramifications that developes with Randal, my guess is he will be on the roster for this season. Obviously Murray is iffy but I dont see the organization looking to replace backups.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I liked Williams a lot more in preseason along with everybody else, and I still think he's capable of being a guy who can take more carries than Randle from a lead back's workload.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Adrian Peterson not yet committed to playing again for Minnesota

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 19, 2015, 9:21 PM EST

Adrian Peterson has some misgivings about rejoining the Vikings for 2015.

In a story published Thursday night, Peterson told ESPN.com’s Ben Goessling he was still sorting out whether he could play again for Minnesota after spending most of the season on paid leave from the club.

“My wife [and I], we’ve had several conversations about me returning to Minnesota, what the best options are,” Peterson told ESPN.com. “If I left it up to her, I’d be somewhere else today, and that’s with her weighing everything. It’s a lot for me to weigh; she understands that. But there are some things that I’m still uneasy about.”

In the story, Peterson said the Vikings’ willingness to put him on the exempt/commissioner’s permission list in September felt like an “ambush,” with the tailback expressing displeasure about how the decision was made.

Peterson was placed on the exempt list after his September arrest for injuring his son during a whipping. In November, he pleaded no-contest to misdemeanor reckless assault.

The 29-year-old Peterson can apply for NFL reinstatement on April 15. He has three years left on his contract, and the Vikings have expressed a willingness to have him back in 2015.

But is the feeling mutual?

Earlier this month, Peterson indicated he would be open to playing with Minnesota in 2015. However, in the ESPN.com story published Thursday, Peterson made it clear his answer then was marked by his affinity for his Minnesota teammates like linebacker Chad Greenway, not management.

“That’s where it comes from,” Peterson told ESPN. “It don’t come from the organization. I’m not in a good place when it comes to that.”

The question now is whether the Vikings and Peterson can again get to a good place.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'm still torn on the Peterson/Murray thing if Peterson becomes available. I love everything about Murray from last year except the fumbles. And especially when he fumbles.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Listening to ESPN radio this morning and they were talking about Murray. Both Harrison and whoever the other guy is say Murray on the open market is gonna command about 5 years 25 mil. Or at least that what they think he will end up getting. If it does end up being 5/25 would anyone be opposed to keeping him? I think it seems reasonable, I would prefer if there was an out after 3 years, but 5/25 wouldn't be too bad.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Listening to ESPN radio this morning and they were talking about Murray. Both Harrison and whoever the other guy is say Murray on the open market is gonna command about 5 years 25 mil. Or at least that what they think he will end up getting. If it does end up being 5/25 would anyone be opposed to keeping him? I think it seems reasonable, I would prefer if there was an out after 3 years, but 5/25 wouldn't be too bad.
Depends on the guarenteed amount if any. I am okay with it as long as there is perfomance protection built in.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd go for 5/25, assuming guarantees not over 7.5 mil. That's about half of what we gave Marion Barber (7/45 16 guaranteed)

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd go for 5/25, assuming guarantees not over 7.5 mil. That's about half of what we gave Marion Barber (7/45 16 guaranteed)
Yeah if that's the contract he is getting I sign him up. Resign Dez and probably still have money to sign a solid free agent D-lineman.

Top Bottom