Machota: Defensive ends in this year’s draft who could improve Cowboys’ pass rush

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Defensive ends in this year’s draft who could improve Cowboys’ pass rush

Jon Machota
Published: February 11, 2015 11:25 pm

The Cowboys have had trouble sacking opposing quarterbacks over the last few seasons. Dallas finished with 28 sacks in 2014. Twenty-seven teams had more.

The Cowboys weren’t much better in 2013, totaling 34. Over the last three seasons, their total of 96 sacks is 29th in the NFL.

The draft is a great place for the Cowboys to address this problem. They traded up to draft defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence in the second round last year and they could add another end early in this year’s draft.

One of the toughest aspects of identifying players at this position is determining if the prospect is best suited to play as a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Unless the Cowboys trade up, players like Nebraska’s Randy Gregory, Missouri’s Shane Ray and Oregon’s Arik Armstead will likely be off the board. But here are 10 defensive end’s that could be available when Dallas is on the clock.

1.) Bud Dupree, Kentucky. In 47 career games, the 6-4, 264-pound end recorded 23.5 sacks and 247 tackles. He had a sack and 15 tackles in a November loss to Tennessee.

Expert’s take: “Dupree was a tight end conversion in college and just looks like that type of electric player who should get you very excited to join your side. I wonder if his Senior Bowl opt out might get him intoDallas’ neighborhood. If so, that is an exciting possibility to consider, opposite DeMarcus Lawrence.” – Bob Sturm, SportsDayDFW.com

2.) Nate Orchard, Utah. Orchard (6-4, 255) finished second in the country with 18.5 sacks last season. In 50 career games, he totaled 186 tackles and 38.5 tackles for loss.

Expert’s take: “Orchard is a high-motor player with a relentless approach off the edge. He outworks blockers at the point of attack and deftly uses a variety of hand-to-hand combat maneuvers to get around the corner. Although he lacks exceptional first-step quickness or athleticism, Orchard flashes the kind of closing burst and acceleration that allows him to gobble up quarterbacks from the backside.” – Bucky Brooks, NFL.com

3.) Eli Harold, Virginia. In three seasons, Harold (6-4, 250) had 17.5 sacks and 36.5 tackles for loss. In 12 games last season, he sacked the QB seven times to go along with 14.5 tackles for loss, an interception and 54 total tackles.

Expert’s take: “Harold is a hybrid hand-down end and stand up pass rusher.Virginiaruns out of a 3-4, so he would fit well in an odd front. I don’t have Harold higher [than the second round] because he has some power issues. But in the second round, his skill as a speed and effort rusher is too great to overlook.” – Dan Kadar, SBNation.com

4.) Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA. Odighizuwa (6-3, 270) had two sacks and five tackles in a November win over USC. He finished his senior year with six sacks in 13 games. He missed the entire 2013 season after having off-season surgery on his left hip.

Expert’s take: “Odighizuwa has some scheme versatility, but he’s not necessarily a versatile player. Some scouts believe that he could open some eyes with his straight-line speed in his workout, but his marginal pass-rush skills and average athleticism could stunt his draft stock.” — Lance Zierlein, NFL.com

5.) Mario Edwards, Florida State. Edwards (6-3, 294) had an underwhelming statistical season in 2014, finishing with only three sacks. He had one of the best games of his career in the 2013 BCS national title game, recording a sack and six tackles against Auburn. He is the son of former Cowboys cornerback Mario Edwards Sr.

Expert’s take: “That guy is as athletic and as dominant as any of the ends we’ve had. … He can play D-tackle, he can play D-end, he can play a 9-technique, he can play a 7- or a 6-[technique]. The guy is 305 pounds and can stand still and do back flips in front of you in full pads? I mean, he’s athletic.” – Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher

The next 5:

Danielle Hunter, LSU.

Lorenzo Mauldin, Louisville.

Markus Golden, Missouri.

Trey Flowers, Arkansas.

Cedric Reed, Texas.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The only thing I hope happens is that the WR and CB class keep getting inflated...that is one of the few ways one of the top pass rushers will drop down to 27.

Kiper is already suggesting guys like Smith, Dorsett and Perriman are first round guys. That's good if so. We need some of the top producers sliding down.

Of the five listed above, only Dupree appeals to me. The rest are okay, but I question the value and if they would legitimately be the best player we could take.

What I don't want is the idea we have to take a rusher and end up picking a guy in the first that is not any better than Lawrence was last year. I honestly think if Lawrence were in this draft, he'd be in the first round area.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The only thing I hope happens is that the WR and CB class keep getting inflated...that is one of the few ways one of the top pass rushers will drop down to 27.

Kiper is already suggesting guys like Smith, Dorsett and Perriman are first round guys. That's good if so. We need some of the top producers sliding down.

Of the five listed above, only Dupree appeals to me. The rest are okay, but I question the value and if they would legitimately be the best player we could take.

What I don't want is the idea we have to take a rusher and end up picking a guy in the first that is not any better than Lawrence was last year. I honestly think if Lawrence were in this draft, he'd be in the first round area.
It's starting to look very obvious that trading down might be our best bet if we can do it. There are alot of guys I'd love to get in the 40 or so range with an extra 3rd in hand but might feel a little skeptical about taking at 27.

We should probably look to bring in several guys through free agency (Jerry Hughes, Sheard, Derrick Morgan, Adrian Clayborn, etc.) and then only go DE if there is clear value. I'd really love to add a big time playmaking LB in Kendricks or Dawson, if we can build a deep group of pass rushers through free agency and then add a guy like Kendricks at 27 or after trading down, we could really have a fearsome front 7.

Bobby Wagner is the one who made Seattle's defense go this year after all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's starting to look very obvious that trading down might be our best bet if we can do it. There are alot of guys I'd love to get in the 40 or so range with an extra 3rd in hand but might feel a little skeptical about taking at 27.

We should probably look to bring in several guys through free agency (Jerry Hughes, Sheard, Derrick Morgan, Adrian Clayborn, etc.) and then only go DE if there is clear value. I'd really love to add a big time playmaking LB in Kendricks or Dawson, if we can build a deep group of pass rushers through free agency and then add a guy like Kendricks at 27 or after trading down, we could really have a fearsome front 7.

Bobby Wagner is the one who made Seattle's defense go this year after all.
The way things look right now, I think CB is coming. We are due.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is why I think we need to look hard at free agent DE's. It's just very difficult for a DE to come right out of college and produce a lot of sacks in the NFL as a rookie. It can happen, it's just rare. I don't see that rare type of pass rusher being there at 27. Instead you will probably be looking at a Lawrence type guy who may take a year before he really starts producing. It's why I have hope for Lawrence producing some legit pass rush this year (Finally saw it in the playoffs).

I'd actually say DT is a better bet in this draft at 27.

Top Bottom