Brian Williams Suspended From NBC News

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Brian Williams Suspended From NBC News
February 10, 2015 | 04:51PM PT

Cynthia Littleton

NBC News has decided to suspend Brian Williams from his duties as “NBC Nightly News” chief anchor and managing editor for six months without pay in the wake of the scandal over his misleading statements about his time covering the Iraq war in 2003.

The controversy over Williams’ embellishments have engulfed NBC News since the early last week when his account of facing enemy fire while riding in a helicopter was challenged by Iraq veterans.
-----------

Good. Douchebag.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Then.... In six months he gets his desk back, all forgiven. I bet.

According to their statement anyway:

“This has been a painful period for all concerned and we appreciate your patience while we gathered the available facts. By his actions, Brian has jeopardized the trust millions of Americans place in NBC News. His actions are inexcusable and this suspension is severe and appropriate. Brian’s life’s work is delivering the news. I know Brian loves his country, NBC News and his colleagues. He deserves a second chance and we are rooting for him. Brian has shared his deep remorse with me and he is committed to winning back everyone’s trust.”

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
WTF does it matter what he said? He should lose his job because some hackjob site exposes him for being on a different helicopter? He is an icon among journalists. Am I missing something?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Who cares where the info came from, turns out he was lying...even if it was from a "hackjob website". A newsman, like Brokaw, Cronkite, Rather, etc, need to have credibility, clearly that is an issue with Williams. Other stories are cropping up where he embellished, particularly with Hurricane Katrina and seeing a dead body float by his hotel.

Not only that, but he was using the bravery and exploits of real heroes to shine a light on himself as some kind of hero.

Cotton

Staff member
Then let him take the embarrassment. Stupid for him to lose his job over it.

Cotton

Staff member
Though, it kinda makes me laugh that a hack journalist takes down a legend.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
There's more stories about him embellishing things. Seeing dead bodies floating by and getting dysentery during Katrina. The hotel he was in getting taken over by gang members while he was lying in the lobby suffering from the dysentery. The guy is just one of those media folk that wants to be the heart of the story rather than just telling it. He cant' be trusted to tell the whole truth. But then again, it is national news where it all slants to the left anyway. Who cares.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
It's much more than one little embellishment, it is a long standing pattern of years of outright lies designed for self aggrandizement.

cmd34

Brand New Member
Hostile thinks this is no big deal. Truth schmooth

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There's more stories about him embellishing things. Seeing dead bodies floating by and getting dysentery during Katrina. The hotel he was in getting taken over by gang members while he was lying in the lobby suffering from the dysentery. The guy is just one of those media folk that wants to be the heart of the story rather than just telling it. He cant' be trusted to tell the whole truth. But then again, it is national news where it all slants to the left anyway. Who cares.
Sorta reminds you of politicians doesn't it. Shame they can only be taken down on election day for lying 24/7/365.

Carp

DCC 4Life
NBC will also face the reality that they may lose viewers by allowing him to come back.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Though, it kinda makes me laugh that a hack journalist takes down a legend.
But legendary status is gained by the false stories and don't get me started on stolen valor.

Carp

DCC 4Life
But legendary status is gained by the false stories and don't get me started on stolen valor.
I am not the most objective obviously, so I'll stay off of stolen valor as well. Unbelievable that some can't see it, but hey, he is an icon and stuff.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Cotton, I don't understand your stance here. The dude is one of the most recognizable journalist in the world. He should have some integrity.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
WTF does it matter what he said? He should lose his job because some hackjob site exposes him for being on a different helicopter? He is an icon among journalists. Am I missing something?
Seriously? The guy lied about being shot down and stranded in a desert sand storm because of it. He made up a story to gain sympathy and credibility for being right in the middle of the shit, just like a grizzled war veteran. It's no different than people that wear the uniform and lie about being in the service to gain favor. He's a sorry piece of shit, just like those people.

Cotton

Staff member
Seriously? The guy lied about being shot down and stranded in a desert sand storm because of it. He made up a story to gain sympathy and credibility for being right in the middle of the shit, just like a grizzled war veteran. It's no different than people that wear the uniform and lie about being in the service to gain favor. He's a sorry piece of shit, just like those people.
I agree that he's a sorry piece of shit, but I'm just not sure he should lose his job because of that. If sorry pieces of shit lost their journalist jobs simply for being pieces of shit, the industry would lose a lot of people.

Cotton

Staff member
Cotton, I don't understand your stance here. The dude is one of the most recognizable journalist in the world. He should have some integrity.
Yeah, because national journalists scream integrity.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I agree that he's a sorry piece of shit, but I'm just not sure he should lose his job because of that. If sorry pieces of shit lost their journalist jobs simply for being pieces of shit, the industry would lose a lot of people.
Let's say you owned a news channel... Would you want the face of your news broadcast, the person people associated with your program, to be a lying piece of shit with no credibility? I sure wouldn't. I'd fire his ass with a quickness. I don't care how long he'd been working for me.

Cotton

Staff member
Let's say you owned a news channel... Would you want the face of your news broadcast, the person people associated with your program, to be a lying piece of shit with no credibility? I sure wouldn't. I'd fire his ass with a quickness. I don't care how long he'd been working for me.
I can definitely see what you are saying. Listen, I'm no huge fan of Brian Williams. I think he's a colossal douche. Maybe I'm more bothered by why some other journalist would go out of their way just to track down a stupid lie.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If sorry pieces of shit lost their journalist jobs simply for being pieces of shit, the industry would lose a lot of people.
How is that a bad thing? Cull the herd.

Top Bottom