MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Ok...I am ready to roll with Flores at SS...thinking about a LF...ideally it would be Yasmani Tomas, the Cuban FA, but if Flores is the SS then we can use our trade chips set aside for a SS and go get a corner OF. CARGO...maybe a revitalized Kemp. Mets in 15!
I don't think his D at SS is going to be real desirable is it? He can hit for sure, but reports on his ability to field the position really vary and some aren't very favorable. How much longer are they going to keep Wright around? Will they slide Flores over to 3rd at that point or do you think he can play a good enough SS to stick?

It sounds like he profiles very similarly to Castro to me so I can't see the point of a trade there. Don't know how the organizations see it though.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I finally saw an article showing Ranger interest in Yasmani Thomas. Go get em.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think his D at SS is going to be real desirable is it? He can hit for sure, but reports on his ability to field the position really vary and some aren't very favorable. How much longer are they going to keep Wright around? Will they slide Flores over to 3rd at that point or do you think he can play a good enough SS to stick?

It sounds like he profiles very similarly to Castro to me so I can't see the point of a trade there. Don't know how the organizations see it though.
Flores has graded out as an average SS. I am fine with that if he can hit .260 and have 15 HRs. Wright is owed too much money to be really tradeable, unless we match up with LA or Col and swap salaries for a Kemp or Cargo.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Braves finally fired Frank Wren.

All his shitty contracts finally caught up to him.

Now release BJ Upton, please.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Braves finally fired Frank Wren.

All his shitty contracts finally caught up to him.

Now release BJ Upton, please.
There are some bad contracts out there that maybe they can swap for...some team will think they can rejuvenate him.

Hart is the interim...which I don't understand at all.

Rev

Staff member
Hart is just as bad.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Braves Have Offered Permanent GM Job To John Hart

By Jeff Todd [September 23, 2014 at 8:41pm CDT]

The Braves have offered the general manager job to John Hart on a permanent basis, reports Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. Hart, formerly the head baseball man for the Indians and Rangers, has already been named Atlanta’s interim GM after previously serving as a senior adviser.

Hart is still mulling the offer, according to Passan’s report. Were he to take over, Hart would be expected to “groom” assistant GM John Coppolella. The 35-year-old Coppolella could still be a candidate for the GM position if Hart declines. He remains with the organization after the dismissal of his boss, former GM Frank Wren.

One of the game’s most respected front office men, Hart played a key role in pioneering the use of early-career extensions during his time in Cleveland. He recently discussed the history and future of extensions — including, of course, the handful of significant offseason deals reached by Atlanta. He praised Wren at the time for crafting a strategy that enabled the Braves to lock up multiple talented MLB players for their primes. Of course, as club president John Schuerholz said earlier today, the team’s concerns with Wren’s performance seem to be rooted primarily in the areas of drafting and development.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Phil Hughes won today 2-1 for his 17th win in his last start of the year. He set a MLB record for a 11.63/1 Ks to walks ratio. Also led the league this year with a .63 walks per 9 innings. He only had 16 walks on the year, and is the first pitcher to ever have more wins than walks. Pretty impressive.

There was a 1 1/2 hour rain delay between the eighth and ninth inning of the game today. He had already pitched 8 innings. Because of the long delay, he didn't go out for the 9th. He missed a bonus clause by ONE OUT for a 500,000 dollar bonus. He needed 210 innings, and finished with 209 2/3. Shitty. I hope they give it to him any way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hughes oh-so-close to bonus, record
September, 24, 2014

By ESPN Stats & Information | ESPN.com

Twins starter Phil Hughes was pulled after a 66-minute rain delay with the Twins three outs from a win.

Hughes has a career-high 209 2/3 innings pitched this season, which wouldn’t be particularly notable but for a clause in the contract he signed last offseason that would award him a $500,000 bonus if he pitched 210 innings.

But the financial matter doesn’t tell the whole story of this unique situation.

Hughes finished with five strikeouts and no walks, giving him 186 strikeouts and 16 walks this season, an amazing transformation from a pitcher whose career strikeout-to-walk ratio was not even 3-to-1.

Hughes' 2014 ratio of 11.6-to-1 would set an all-time major league record for a pitcher who qualified for his season’s ERA title, breaking the mark set by Bret Saberhagen for the New York Mets (11-to-1 in 1994).

However, if Hughes were to pitch again in the hopes of attaining the 1/3 of an inning that would net him the bonus, he’d be running the risk of falling short of the record.

Were Hughes to walk one more batter and not strike anyone out, his ratio would dip to 10.9, one-tenth of a point shy of the record.

But the chances of that would seem slim. In his past eight starts, Hughes has 52 strikeouts and only one walk.

The biggest difference for Hughes this season is that he has followed the Twins' philosophy, espoused by manager Ron Gardenhire, of attacking the strike zone.

His percentage of pitches in the zone was 52 percent from 2011 to 2013. In 2014, it's 60 percent, with the primary component of the change being his fastball (which went from a 57 percent "in the strike zone" rate to 65 percent).

Hughes has also made the most of his cutter, which he has used much more frequently this season. Hitters have chased it at a 34 percent rate in 2014, as the pitch often looks like a strike but makes a late cut out of the zone.

It will be interesting to see what Twins management does, given the situation. The Twins have four games remaining, and Hughes was not scheduled to start any of them.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I kind of feel like a Reyes deal back to the Mets might happen this offseason.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Pretty cool way for Jeter to finish out his career at Yankees Stadium.

Rev

Staff member
Pretty cool way for Jeter to finish out his career at Yankees Stadium.
Yeah. That was awesome. I loathe the Yankees but hats off to a great player.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Altuve talks his way back into the lineup after the team says they're planning to hold him out, and promptly goes 2-4 with an RBI to clinch the batting title. Fun season.

Rev

Staff member
Thankfully this nightmare of a season is over. Finished strong and almost knocked the A's out of the playoffs so that will fuel me for a little while.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Thankfully this nightmare of a season is over.
I'm with you.
Same here.

As an aside, I know it would never happen because baseball is too reliant on its history and historical statistics, but I really wish MLB would scale back the season to about 140 games.

IMO, 162 games is too much for the modern age. Most of the casual fans completely tune out MLB in August once football season rolls around.

Top Bottom