Archer: In Cleveland, Jerry Jones is viewed as a football guy

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In Cleveland, Jerry Jones is viewed as a football guy
February, 6, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Jerry Jones has been criticized in many circles for being too hands on as owner and general manager of the Dallas Cowboys.

Well, he now might have some competition in that department with Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam.

The Browns have had an eventful offseason, which includes allowing offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan to leave, seeing Johnny Manziel head off to rehab and seeing Josh Gordon get suspended for at least a year for violating the NFL’s substance abuse program. There might be more trouble ahead if general manager Ray Farmer is found to have texted coaches during games suggesting play calls.

Earlier this week, CBS Sports had a story about the dysfunction in Cleveland, surrounding Haslam, former Cowboys general counsel Alec Scheiner, now Cleveland's team president, and coach Mike Pettine.

"Jimmy is way too hands on," one team source was quoted in the story. "He's like Jerry Jones, only without the football knowledge. There's tension between Alec and Pettine. Everybody sees that. Alec is involved in everything; it's too much for him. There are no divisions. The guys on the business side want to run football operations. The GM wants to coach the team and have input on play calling. Jimmy calls the shots, and everyone is afraid of him with that quick trigger finger. If you stand up to Jimmy, he's done with you. Jimmy's own worst enemy is Jimmy."

Imagine that ... Jones being praised for his football knowledge. He is the reigning NFL Executive of the Year for helping put together a team that finished 12-4 and won the NFC East.

Jones’ football acumen has been a discussion since he took over the team. Some still can’t fathom why he hasn’t brought in a “football guy” to run the show. I’ve never entirely bought the argument because Jones played the game, he’s been around the NFL now for more than 20 years and at least some “football” had to have seeped into him by now.

Jones hasn’t been perfect, and he won’t be perfect but no “football guy” is.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I suppose it could be worse for us.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No one disputes Jerry has SOME football knowledge. He's not a complete retard. He's just not nearly as good as he thinks he is and has failed the organization as a result.

The Dallas Cowboys deserve the best administrators, business people, and football people running the show. Jones has the business part down, and AFAIK the administrative part too. But he's shorted the team in the football knowledge department for decades.

Bottom line because he sticks his nose in so much he needs to hire superior football people who can build strong relationships and mutual trust with him. That's a really short list of people.

We're hoping Jason Garrett is competent enough, because he's got the Jerry part down, I think.

Top Bottom