Anonymous Seahawk Blames Final Play Call On Anti-Lynch Conspiracy

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't know...occasionally you need to call a play that is least expected. Often it works and everyone loves you.
I agree.

I think Belichick just brilliantly out second guessed Carroll. If he hadn't, it would have been Carroll brilliantly outmaneuvering Belichick. Both of those guys are great coaches and only one of them was going to win. I think if you always go with the obvious "we're going to play our way" style, you end up being Marty Schottenheimer. You build a tough, winning team, and win a lot in the regular season until a really good teams schemes to beat you in the playoffs because you're predictable.

dallen

Senior Tech
I agree.

I think Belichick just brilliantly out second guessed Carroll. If he hadn't, it would have been Carroll brilliantly outmaneuvering Belichick. Both of those guys are great coaches and only one of them was going to win. I think if you always go with the obvious "we're going to play our way" style, you end up being Marty Schottenheimer. You build a tough, winning team, and win a lot in the regular season until a really good teams schemes to beat you in the playoffs because you're predictable.
Belichick's defensive philosophy is sell out to stop you from doing what you are best at to force you to play the way you don't want to play. This was a perfect example of that philosophy and why it has worked so well.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
'often' is an overstatement.
Not really. We just have the advantage of being able to dissect one play call that is in the spotlight. Throughout every game at every level of football it is going on often. Those plays don't get thrown in the spotlight and criticized. That play's failure had little to do with the call. It is a very simple, high percentage throw that 90 times out of 100 the DB never touches. I give that pass a better chance of being positive than a run in that situation. I actually loved the call. I don't like the idea of possibly running it there 4 times in a row. The kid made an incredible play on the ball and all the credit goes to him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
A couple factors in this one...first off, I think Belichick not using a TO sped things up for him. Probably thought he was going to get a free TO out of it, but Belichick let his defense win.

The thing though that goes against what I think the Seahawks are is that Carroll was talking about 3rd and 4th down, while he seemed to use 2nd down as a throwaway down. It was like he was conceding defeat on that down. I did not understand that at all.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
A couple factors in this one...first off, I think Belichick not using a TO sped things up for him. Probably thought he was going to get a free TO out of it, but Belichick let his defense win.

The thing though that goes against what I think the Seahawks are is that Carroll was talking about 3rd and 4th down, while he seemed to use 2nd down as a throwaway down. It was like he was conceding defeat on that down. I did not understand that at all.
He was still trying to score on 2nd, he was just trying to maximize his chances by guaranteeing himself that 4th down by stopping the clock if the pass was incomplete

Carp

DCC 4Life
He was still trying to score on 2nd, he was just trying to maximize his chances by guaranteeing himself that 4th down by stopping the clock if the pass was incomplete
I just don't think it gets to 4th if they run the ball.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Seattle was trying to play it both ways. Not score too fast while at the same time wanting to have enough time to use all 4 downs if needed. No doubt their playoff game vs. the Falcons two years ago was in the back of the mind when they took the lead with :35 left only to have Atlanta win on a last second FG.

I guess they felt if they took the clock below :30 before passing on 2nd down a score would only leave the Pats with a little over :20 and an incompletion would still allow them time for 2 more plays if needed since they had 1 timeout left.

Since they got to the 1 with 1:02 left, they didn't need to run off over :30 of the clock. Could've easily ran the ball with Lynch with under :40 and if he scored then you leave the Pats with roughly :35, but unlike the Falcon game, a FG wouldn't beat you only send it to OT. And if they didn't score on that play they could've used their last timeout giving the over :30 for potentially 2 more plays.

But they went with the option that took the clock under :30 and figured a pass on 2nd down would either be a TD or incomplete. Instead they lost it in a most unbearable fashion. But the excuse they had to pass on 2nd or 3rd down is bogus because they had a minute left once they got to the 1 yard line. But wanting to bleed the clock and still have 4 downs caused them to need to pass and ultimately lose.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I feel like a second down run up the middle had a good chance of getting stuffed by the Pats goal line D. Lynch is great, but Seattle's OL are not incredibly awesome. Some sportswriter on twitter pointed out that Lynch had 5 runs from the 1 this year and scored on only 1 of those chances.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I feel like a second down run up the middle had a good chance of getting stuffed by the Pats goal line D. Lynch is great, but Seattle's OL are not incredibly awesome. Some sportswriter on twitter pointed out that Lynch had 5 runs from the 1 this year and scored on only 1 of those chances.
That is partly my point. I know everyone is all up in arms because Lynch is a one man wrecking crew and all but still. You may or may not have to run it there 4 times to score. There is a chance that you have to throw it once to score, so why not dictate when you choose to throw?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't endorse a throw on 2nd, but at least PA or throw a fade. A pick play there was silly, particularly when Kearse was matched up against Browner.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I can recall when MB3 was in his prime, and he got stood up on the goal line all the way up til 4th down. So it can happen.

But I still would have run the ball.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I can recall when MB3 was in his prime, and he got stood up on the goal line all the way up til 4th down. So it can happen.

But I still would have run the ball.
True. If I go down (TWSS) though, I go down swinging (TWEZS).

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm just glad it's a team other than Dallas who's suffering through this shit.

Avenging 06!!!

:towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. If they run on 2nd they still have a TO left, they can still throw on 3rd and 4th down.
They could also run on that fourth down. Afterall who cares if it is a run or a pass.

Top Bottom