JJT: Murray a better option over Peterson

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Murray a better option over Peterson

Cowboys of old might have pursued Vikings' back, but don't count on it now

Updated: January 30, 2015, 2:31 AM ET

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Adrian Peterson has been hit at least 1,100 more times than DeMarco Murray.

Peterson, who turns 30 in March, is scheduled to earn $12.7 million this year, which is more than any other NFL running back. And just so you know, he has carried the ball more than 300 times only once in the past four seasons, which is important because this Dallas Cowboys offense requires a workhorse.

Oh, and Peterson still must be reinstated to the NFL by commissioner Roger Goodell after last season's child-abuse scandal forced him to the sidelines for the final 15 games.

Regardless of whether the Cowboys sign the 26-year-old Murray to a long-term deal, which should be their top priority, signing Peterson would be the kind of dumb, high-profile, headline-generating move the Cowboys used to make, when owner Jerry Jones had the loudest voice at Valley Ranch.

Now, he doesn't.

Vice president Stephen Jones, coach Jason Garrett and scouting director Will McClay just let him think he does. Hey, whatever works.

Obviously, Peterson will have a bronze bust in the Pro Football Hall of Fame one day, but good organizations resist the temptation to fall in love with the name on the back of the jersey.

That's another mistake Jerry has made over the years. He has paid players for what they've done instead of paying them for what they will do. Good organizations focus on the future -- not the past -- and they deal in reality, not what they want reality to be.

So the 2,097 yards Murray gained two years ago isn't really part of his discussion, though it speaks to his overall talent. Neither are his 91 career touchdowns or his 5.0 career average per carry.

What's important is figuring out whether Peterson, Murray or some college running back is the best player to help these Cowboys win a championship in the next three years.

Somehow, the Cowboys have cracked open a window to win a championship that seemed hopelessly locked after three straight 8-8 seasons and back surgeries in consecutive years for Tony Romo.

But they have to do it soon because Romo will be 35 when the 2015 season starts, and we all know that once he retires, you won't even be able to get favorable betting odds on the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl.

Since Peterson is having off-the-field issues and seems chummy with Jerry these days, the natural inclination of some folks and fans is to create a scenario where Peterson winds up in Dallas.

Jerry was named the NFL's executive of the year by the Pro Football Writers of America because he listens to a trusted few and no longer gives into his wanton urges; otherwise defensive linemen DeMarcus Ware and Jason Hatcher would still be playing for the Cowboys.

The first tenet of being a good team is to avoid paying age because older players get hurt more often and take longer to recover.

For those of you who think Murray is going to struggle after carrying the ball a league-leading 392 times, we've all heard the chatter and seen the evidence that most runners decline sharply once they hit 30. That's because they can still get to the hole but can no longer consistently accelerate through it.

Peterson's year away from the game raises additional questions because we have no idea if it has energized him or made his talent atrophy. Plus, Peterson still plays for the Minnesota Vikings, who have given no indication they want to get rid of him.

Heck, coach Mike Zimmer won seven games without him while using a rookie quarterback. He probably figures he can get to 10 wins with Peterson.

Even if the Vikings did release Peterson, do you think he's going to cost less than Murray? He's not.

Even if he gave the Cowboys a discount because he grew up in Palestine, 113 miles southeast of Dallas, and his father lives here in Dallas, Peterson is going to want the money commensurate with his reputation.

After all, he's scheduled to be the NFL's highest-paid running back, earning $3 million more than Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy, the second-highest paid runner.

More important, at this stage of their careers, there's not nearly as much difference between Peterson and Murray as you think.

In his past three full seasons, Peterson has 835 carries for 4,333 yards, a 5.1 average per carry, and 34 touchdowns. He also missed six games.

In Murray's past three seasons, he has 3,629 yards on 771 carries, a 4.7 average per carry, and 26 touchdowns. He has missed eight games.

Peterson has to be one of the best running backs in NFL history, but this is a young man's game and he no longer falls into that category.

If the Cowboys must eventually choose between Peterson and Murray, then they should spend their money on the player who has been tackled a thousand fewer times.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Another stupid JJT column. Peterson is simply a better back, much better. And Murray is the one who just took on a near-historic workload while Peterson watched most of the season from his couch.

Meh. If we sign Peterson and he does well, JJT will be propping Garrett as it was all part of his genius master plan from the start.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Regardless of anyone's preference between the two, the chanches are not good that Petersen will land in Dallas this season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Peterson is maybe an all-timer, but he is 30. He will have some highlight runs left that make him look better than he really is, but he is no longer "All Day".

Murray is by far the better back right now.

A rookie would give us the best bang for the buck and might even end up the best RB in the league behind our OL and passing game.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Kevin Warren promotion could seal Adrian Peterson’s fate in Minnesota

Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2015, 11:20 AM EST

Publicly, both sides are saying the right things about the potential continuation of Adrian Peterson as the face of the Vikings franchise. Peterson recently said “of course” he’d like to stay; team president Mark Wilf on Wednesday used that same phrase, twice, when talking about keeping Peterson around.

But the team’s actions perhaps speak more loudly than any words the Vikings could articulate. On Thursday, the Vikings promoted Kevin Warren from Executive Vice President of Legal Affairs and Chief Administrative Officer to Chief Operating Officer.

“I am energized and excited to continue to be a part of the Vikings organization and to lead our business operations moving forward,” Warren said in a team-issued release. “My family has thoroughly enjoyed making Minneapolis-St. Paul our home with the wonderful people in this community. Over the last 10 years I have marveled at the Vikings rich tradition and developed great appreciation for our fans, the most passionate in the NFL. The Wilfs are deeply committed to building a world-class organization and winning a Super Bowl, and I embrace this next opportunity with great tenacity as we work to achieve our shared goals.”

The ascension of Warren while Peterson’s status remains unresolved possibly isn’t a coincidence. Regardless of any influence Warren may or may not have in the decision to keep or not keep Peterson, the move could make Peterson even more determined to get a fresh start elswhere.

In November, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that Peterson specifically was referring to Warren when Peterson said that someone in the organization was working against Peterson. With Warren assuming a greater role and higher profile in the organization, it may become even harder for coach Mike Zimmer to persuade Peterson to choose to stay.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/2015/02/12/kevin-warren-becomes-latest-vikings-executive-call-adrian-petersons-return-team/

“I think our organization and individuals in our organization from (owner and chairman) Zygi Wilf to Mark Wilf to Coach (Mike Zimmer) to (general manager) Rick Spielman all have made it very clear that they all would welcome Adrian back once he gets all the open items resolved with the league, and I feel the exact same way,’’ Warren said.
So far we have Wilf (owner), Zimmer (HC), Spielman (GM) and now Warren (CEO) all saying they want him back.

Why are we still discussing the possibility of him being a Cowboy again?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Did you see the post above this?
Yeah, I read the bullshit written by Florio this morning and followed it up with a direct, more recent and relevant quote from the guy.

So unless he is playing a PR media game, I don't think his promotion means Peterson is done.

Florio's premise is built on an idea floated by Schefter, which may not even be true.

Warren has followed it up with words in lock step with the four most influential decision makers in the organization.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, I read the bullshit written by Florio this morning and followed it up with a direct, more recent and relevant quote from the guy.

So unless he is playing a PR media game, I don't think his promotion means Peterson is done.

Florio's premise is built on an idea floated by Schefter, which may not even be true.

Warren has followed it up with words in lock step with the four most influential decision makers in the organization.
Or they could be trying to get him to restructure and could cut him if he refuses, I bet the same was said about Ware last year as well at this point.

I know you are not taking what they say as gospel.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Or they could be trying to get him to restructure and could cut him if he refuses, I bet the same was said about Ware last year as well at this point.

I know you are not taking what they say as gospel.
Thing is, they don't have to make him restructure. They have enough cap space to absorb his full salary. They can lop off Greg Jennings' $11 million and create even more room.

I am sure they will try to get him to restructure some, but I think they want him enough that they aren't going to play hardball with him.

The one thing I am also certain about is that if he doesn't take a pay cut, he's not automatically released. If he becomes trade bait, I would hope we are not stupid enough to trade for him and pay him. He's not getting released.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Frank Gore is an underrated option in free agency. He's going to be 32 but he's very consistently been in the 4.2-4.4 YPC range for years now, he's an all around back in terms of rushing, receiving and blocking, he showed he still has some gas in the tank towards the end of last year, he's a leader with big game experience and I'm sure he can be had for peanuts.

The wheels could fall off at any moment of course but if the plan is to draft a guy and sign a cheap veteran to be the bridge for a year or so until the rookie is ready while splitting carries, we could do alot worse than Gore.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Frank Gore is an underrated option in free agency. He's going to be 32 but he's very consistently been in the 4.2-4.4 YPC range for years now, he's an all around back in terms of rushing, receiving and blocking, he showed he still has some gas in the tank towards the end of last year, he's a leader with big game experience and I'm sure he can be had for peanuts.

The wheels could fall off at any moment of course but if the plan is to draft a guy and sign a cheap veteran to be the bridge for a year or so until the rookie is ready while splitting carries, we could do alot worse than Gore.
I agree, but that just doesn't look like our style right now.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I can get behind this he is the type of veteran needed on a contending team even if we bring Murray back I give him a look.

data

Forbes #1
And gore has gone over 300 carries only once, his 2nd year in the league.

Top Bottom