Archer: Anthony Hitchens with big fourth-down stop

Carp

DCC 4Life
ST. LOUIS -- Anthony Hitchens was the Dallas Cowboys middle linebacker by default on Sunday.

Sean Lee was home watching because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered in May. Justin Durant was on the sideline with a groin injury. So was Rolando McClain.

The Cowboys had nowhere else to go against the St. Louis Rams other than Hitchens, their fourth-round pick.

And he came up with a game-changing play.

After converting on a fourth-and-inches in the first half, the Rams pressed their luck on their first drive of the second half at the Dallas 15.

This is where Hitchens was a quick study.

“I was about 85, 90 percent -- I knew it was coming, so good thing they did run it and not pull it out,” Hitchens said. “It was in their scheme. They ran it the first time and when I saw that formation I was going to shoot the gap.”

Hitchens was able to get into the backfield and stop Zac Stacy for a 1-yard loss. The Rams passed on a chance to take a 24-17 lead and the Cowboys answered with a field goal of their own after Hitchens’ stop.

“I seen it the first time but I just didn’t want to shoot my gun,” Hitchens said. “I went over the top then. Sometimes it just takes a second time to see it.”

Hitchens finished with a game-high 13 tackles in his second career start but first at middle linebacker.

“Hitch, I think, got more comfortable as the game went on and was around the ball more, hits on the ball, plays on the ball,” coach Jason Garrett said. “That was obviously a big play for our team to get that stop there.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Didn't get to watch the game, but was surprised to hear how well Hitchens played.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Didn't get to watch the game, but was surprised to hear how well Hitchens played.
God damn, don't let booze hear you say that.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Didn't get to watch the game, but going from his stat line it looks like this guy might not be the wasted pick most of us thought.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unlike Carter who got most of his tackles while being burned in coverage, Hitches coverage didn't look bad to me from what I saw.

hstour

Brand New Member
God damn, don't let booze hear you say that.
This should make Booze feel better.....

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Despite what PFF might have posted, Hitchens' play was a pleasant surprise from my perspective.

It being his first game buys him a lot of slack from me, and I must admit I had completely written him off. His getting 13 tackles meant a DB didn't have to take that punishment, and that huge play on 4th down changed the game. We do not win without it.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I haven't understood the Hitchens hate...other than he was picked a few rounds early.

Thats fair, but he looked pretty decent to me yesterday.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Despite what PFF might have posted, Hitchens' play was a pleasant surprise from my perspective.

It being his first game buys him a lot of slack from me, and I must admit I had completely written him off. His getting 13 tackles meant a DB didn't have to take that punishment, and that huge play on 4th down changed the game. We do not win without it.
Agreed, he was around the ball a lot, didn't miss tackles, and had a couple nice plays in coverage. He also got beat a couple times in coverage, but that's to be expected. For a 4th round pick starting his first game, he looked very solid. I don't think we want him to ever be a full time starter, but he's solid depth.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You could tell how much we missed McClain he overran a lot of plays and got up in traffic too much.

We need to be looking for a veteran MLB because he will get exploited if he has to start multiple games, but with that said he looks like he can develop into a player.

Top Bottom