MacMahon: Give GM credit - McClain a great addition

p1_

DCC 4Life
He never said he lost all desire he said he thought he was going to self destruct.

You really should read the whole article it gives you some insight on the guys thought process.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9882568/nfl-former-oakland-raiders-alabama-linebacker-rolando-mcclain-self-imposed-exile

I totally agree that you can't be all in on the guy, because he has some mental issues but if you read the article and listen to his interviews now, especially this one, you can see he is in a different place mentally.

[video]http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/videos/McClain_I_Didnt_Deserve_To_Play_Football_/5a186744-2d73-4119-88bf-56eb6ad976c6[/video]
But he has the dreaded 'crazy eyes'.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah he is a legitimate 6'4" at MLBer and he runs really well. If I were the Cowboys I'd get him whatever help he needs mentally. Sometimes when you get a player the help he needs he can mature and turn things around. People forget that once upon a time Dez Bryant was a player that probably could have gone either direction. The guy was a massive flake who would show up late or do something silly like forget his cleats. Not saying we are talking about the same issues but we are talking about very young guys who are learning how to deal with the NFL and the pressures of the game at the NFL level.
It was very interesting reading that piece, this was the most troubling part and the part I related to the most.

Shortly after McClain returned to Tuscaloosa, the coach did introduce McClain to a therapist. They spoke a few times, but McClain hasn't worked up the courage to commit. "I'm scared of what he might figure out about me," he says with a forced laugh.

What does he not want to know? "I don't know if I'm ready to know, man, why I was so angry. I don't know if I'm ready to know what triggers my anger. I just feel like I figured out on my own how to stay calm, how to enjoy life, how to be happy. Eventually, I might find the source of the problem, get over it. But right now ..."

He sounds like someone who's already had counseling, with self-awareness and smarts that are rare in any 24-year-old. And yet there's another piece of him that seems to drift.
I think he needs the counseling but I understand the fear, hopefully getting away from his old life will keep him on track, he seems like a bright dude.

D

Deuce

He's our new Demetrius Underwood. Not the worst thing in the world.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
The way he was throwing people around the other day reminded me of my favorite and most underrated OL. He has a nasty streak just like this guy and we haven't had a guy like that in a long time. Guess who I'm talking about and let me know if you agree?

D

Deuce

The way he was throwing people around the other day reminded me of my favorite and most underrated OL. He has a nasty streak just like this guy and we haven't had a guy like that in a long time. Guess who I'm talking about and let me know if you agree?
David Arkin?

dallen

Senior Tech
Pat McQuistan!

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jerry's clearly the front runner for NFL executive of the year.

:towel

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I will say, I like that he is angry. I'm tired of choir boys.

That said, he's unstable. It's too early to say this has been a success.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Part of my problem with this is the fact that we only went looking for talent because Lee got hurt. Yeah it worked out, or has so far, but if Lee's knee pussy hadn't been blown up right before Zach Martin tripped over him McClain would still be pissed off flipping burgers. If Jerry was a real GM, we would have already had a guy like McClain on the team you know, as depth. Instead we have to hit the panic button and hopes it works out.

Now I get to listen to all the retards at work say how "awesome our defense is gonna be next year with Lee and McClain." Dumbasses, they play the same position. Unless we run the first ever 4-3 defense with two middle linebackers. "Well what if lee moved outside? What now smart guy?" Oh I guess you got me, lets count on lee to take on pulling gaurds..... It worked so well in mini camp.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Part of my problem with this is the fact that we only went looking for talent because Lee got hurt. Yeah it worked out, or has so far, but if Lee's knee pussy hadn't been blown up right before Zach Martin tripped over him McClain would still be pissed off flipping burgers. If Jerry was a real GM, we would have already had a guy like McClain on the team you know, as depth. Instead we have to hit the panic button and hopes it works out.

Now I get to listen to all the retards at work say how "awesome our defense is gonna be next year with Lee and McClain." Dumbasses, they play the same position. Unless we run the first ever 4-3 defense with two middle linebackers. "Well what if lee moved outside? What now smart guy?" Oh I guess you got me, lets count on lee to take on pulling gaurds..... It worked so well in mini camp.
Sorry, but I don't get this line of thinking at all. There were 31 other teams that could have done the same thing. To minimize this by saying he should have been on our radar is silly to me. No one did...we got lucky for sure, but that does not lessen the fact that it looks like a good deal...regardless of the reason we brought him aboard.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Makes you wonder why other GMs didn't talk to McClain while he was pissed off flipping burgers. Did they not want to have depth in case their own knee pussies blew up?

As an aside, I think Lee could easily play WLB. In fact, I think it would actually help him stay healthy. It's a lot less physically demanding than the middle. I'd seriously consider moving him there anyway, even if McClain retired tomorrow.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Sorry, but I don't get this line of thinking at all. There were 31 other teams that could have done the same thing. To minimize this by saying he should have been on our radar is silly to me. No one did...we got lucky for sure, but that does not lessen the fact that it looks like a good deal...regardless of the reason we brought him aboard.
What do you mean, you don't agree with this line of thinking? Its all about churning the roster, I don't care if its McClain or some other slub, if there is somebody on the streets better than what you have on the roster, make the move. If we felt like we could handle McClain's personality flaws, which apparently we did, why did it take Lee getting hurt to make the effort? It shouldn't have. The guy could have been in the mini camps and at all the training camps had we acted sooner. Instead, he's just now getting back into football shape.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Gm credit or pro scouting department?

Newt

DCC 4Life
Makes you wonder why other GMs didn't talk to McClain while he was pissed off flipping burgers. Did they not want to have depth in case their own knee pussies blew up?

As an aside, I think Lee could easily play WLB. In fact, I think it would actually help him stay healthy. It's a lot less physically demanding than the middle. I'd seriously consider moving him there anyway, even if McClain retired tomorrow.
I'm sure Lee "could" play WLB, I'm also sure it wouldn't help him stay healthy. The grass hurt him, grass.

Carp

DCC 4Life
What do you mean, you don't agree with this line of thinking? Its all about churning the roster, I don't care if its McClain or some other slub, if there is somebody on the streets better than what you have on the roster, make the move. If we felt like we could handle McClain's personality flaws, which apparently we did, why did it take Lee getting hurt to make the effort? It shouldn't have. The guy could have been in the mini camps and at all the training camps had we acted sooner. Instead, he's just now getting back into football shape.
I don't agree with minimizing him being added. There was no real reason for us to go out and get him before Lee got injured, but somehow you are making it out that we should have had him on the radar the whole time. I don't get that...and 31 other teams don't get that either.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I don't agree with minimizing him being added. There was no real reason for us to go out and get him before Lee got injured, but somehow you are making it out that we should have had him on the radar the whole time. I don't get that...and 31 other teams don't get that either.
So he's not better than the back ups we had on the roster? 31 other teams apparently didn't feel like they could handle his emotions, Dallas did. Since Dallas did, shouldn't he have been on the radar? I don't think I'm minimizing it, I think it worked out great so far. I think we should be more proactive in finding quality depth. But hey, lets all jump on Jerry's balls, he deserves it and stuff.

Top Bottom